Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Need help with electrics (Read 1034 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need help with electrics
Reply #45 - 04/05/10 at 06:21:00

Id`start by cleaning the battery cables up & any grounds along the way.
If you can clip the leads on & wiggle stuff,, well, you know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #46 - 04/05/10 at 09:00:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/05/10 at 06:21:00:
Id`start by cleaning the battery cables up & any grounds along the way.
If you can clip the leads on & wiggle stuff,, well, you know.

Huh?  Oh, I guess you mean attach the leads and see if the reading varies when I move stuff around?  Okay, I'll be trying that today or tomorrow.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 04/05/10 at 10:27:52

Oh boy, 1 volt drop just by sitting still. More when you crank/run. There's only three places on the + side: Battery +, ignition lock connector and kill switch.
On the ground side... good luck. I hate loose grounds on cars, not fun to find and cause weird s**t.
Take it easy and do what Justin said. Cover every connector you find, clean it, tighten, whatever it takes. It can't hurt while you're at it.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #48 - 04/12/10 at 08:17:53

Still trying stuff.  I'm getting 12.48v as a reading at the battery and at the junction near the ignition key.  I'm getting 11.00v and below at the coil.  Also, I disconnected the coil and still got the same reading (11.00 and below) at the orange wire end.  I've started unwrapping the tape from around the wiring harness.  I found a fuse near the coil, tested it and got the 11.00v and below reading.  I think this means my problem is somewhere between the ignition and the coil.  Any other ideas or input?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 04/12/10 at 09:18:30

Ignition lock connector and kill switch. That's what you have left on the + path to the coil. Check voltage between ground and those points.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 04/12/10 at 10:47:11

Or we cut this short. Run a separate wire from bat + straight to the O/W on the coil. You can leave it connected, just stick it in somehow. Than try.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #51 - 04/13/10 at 05:27:08

dasch wrote on 04/12/10 at 09:18:30:
Ignition lock connector .  .  .

I think this is what I referred to as "junction near the ignition key."  Also, can you tell me specifically how to test the kill switch?  And I will also try the short-cut you mentioned in your last post.  Thanks.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 04/13/10 at 22:39:48

Well, acccording to clymer there's several different wire color combinations for different production years. Can't guarantee which to short, however, you can always dissasemble the right hand grip, get to kill switch from behind and short it's two wires wherever it's convenient. Or use a street punk method and run a sharp steel needle through both to connect. When done remove needle and wrap some tape over holes.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #53 - 04/30/10 at 05:12:46

Okay, I've tried every test I know to try.  Still no fire at the sparkplug.  Voltage is getting to the kill switch, the coil, the ignition, etc.  I think I'm gonna try replacing the coil.  Any other ideas short of that?

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #54 - 04/30/10 at 05:25:27

If I'm not mistaken,the CDI makes and breaks the ground side just like points used to do.Put your meter on both of the positive and negative leads of the coil and see if it pulses as you crank the engine.If not,the CDI may be at fault,or the pulse coil that feeds the CDI may be bad.
You can check the resistance value of the pulse coil,or disconnect it,put your meter leads on it,and check for a pulse at cranking.Keep in mind,though,that this will be a very small voltage,so you will need to be on the lowest voltage range of the meter for checking the pulse coil.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 04/30/10 at 08:13:34

Oh, I got some ideas... all bad. Do what ratz said, for start. Check ohm reading of the disconnected coil.

You know... mine wouldn't start once, and it was because of the loose connection on the CDI. Everything looked tight, but one of the wires was still loose. I had to rattle each one separately while a friend was cranking, to find it...

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 05/01/10 at 02:11:18

Numbers from Clymer:
1-7 Ohms on primary of spark coil.
10-25KOhms on the secondary.
200-240 Ohms on the signal generator (between Green and Orange).

Assuming you already done all test shortcuts in previous posts, and all of these Ohm readings are ok, you either have a bad connection that you missed somehow (most likely), or your CDI is dead (possible).

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #57 - 05/27/10 at 05:14:19

It's been a long haul, but I got her back on the road last evening.  Here's a summary of my findings, with no definitive root cause as yet.  I tried all the testing on the wiring.  Finally found that the plug wasn't firing.  And, SURPRISE, the next time I tried it the plug WAS firing!  I got the wiring harness from Sakara and was gonna try that, but it wasn't necessary.  Last weekend I discovered that the main wire bundle, rear of where the headlight wiring branches off, had an issue:  While the bike was running, when I pulled it forward or pushed it in under the tank, the bike would die.  I think I had routed it wrong at some point in the past.  Re-routing it with plenty of slack, and on top of the tank support "ears", fixed the problem.  I rode to work today with everything working just right.  

Thanks for the help.  Just wanted to bring the thing full circle to a conclusion.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #58 - 05/27/10 at 08:09:12

serenity3743 wrote on 05/27/10 at 05:14:19:
It's been a long haul, but I got her back on the road last evening.  Here's a summary of my findings, with no definitive root cause as yet.  I tried all the testing on the wiring.  Finally found that the plug wasn't firing.  And, SURPRISE, the next time I tried it the plug WAS firing!  I got the wiring harness from Sakara and was gonna try that, but it wasn't necessary.  Last weekend I discovered that the main wire bundle, rear of where the headlight wiring branches off, had an issue:  While the bike was running, when I pulled it forward or pushed it in under the tank, the bike would die.  I think I had routed it wrong at some point in the past.  Re-routing it with plenty of slack, and on top of the tank support "ears", fixed the problem.  I rode to work today with everything working just right.  

Thanks for the help.  Just wanted to bring the thing full circle to a conclusion.

Geez, you been workin on that thang forever!  LOL   Grin

Really, glad you are up and running, and good to see you back online.  I thought you got pissed at the bike and ran off on us too!   I missed you....   Cool 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 05/27/10 at 08:23:30

serenity3743 wrote on 05/27/10 at 05:14:19:
Last weekend I discovered that the main wire bundle, rear of where the headlight wiring branches off, had an issue:  While the bike was running, when I pulled it forward or pushed it in under the tank, the bike would die.  I think I had routed it wrong at some point in the past.  Re-routing it with plenty of slack, and on top of the tank support "ears", fixed the problem.  I rode to work today with everything working just right.  

So it has a problem, but you fixed it by tugging on the wire and then tieing it down where it worked.  Seems to me that either you have a loose connector or a broken wire.  Sure, I'd ride it but I'd carry what I'd need to fix it at all times.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with electrics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.