Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Need help with electrics (Read 1034 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Need help with electrics
Reply #30 - 03/29/10 at 08:57:12

dasch wrote on 03/29/10 at 05:41:11:
serenity3743 wrote on 03/29/10 at 05:02:48:
My findings are:  The starter turns the engine with switch grounded, without switch grounded, and with regular connection made.  Neutral light still does not illuminate.  So what does all that mean?  Something tells me it shouldn't really do that. Huh

No, it shouldn't. Hmmm... something tells me... Have you ran this test with stock setup of the starter relay? I mean, without the extra wire to Y/B? And using start button to fire up? You should have. Maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm not positive what your question means.  If you mean, will the bike crank over with just jumper cables from a known good battery, the answer is yes.  In my first post, I think I mentioned that all I got when I tried to crank it was the two clicks from the decomp solenoid.  But now that I'm jumping from my car battery, I get cranking action.  What I'm really needing to track down is the reason why my battery keeps getting dragged down (3rd battery in 2 years).  After I fix that problem, I'm gonna get a Big Crank battery.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/29/10 at 09:14:03

No, my friend. First thing was to get you cranking and find out why it doesn't. Does the engine start now? Can you idle?
If YES - let it idle and remove ground jumper cable. Still runs?
If YES - good. Hook up voltmeter with aligator clips to battery. Take a reading.
Give gas. A little. Take a reading
Give more gas. A bit. Take a reading.
Post.

Still worried about the obvious disfunction of your neutral light diodes...

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #32 - 03/29/10 at 10:30:36

Yes, first thing was to get me "cranking."  I currently have the spark plug out, the tank off, the clutch cover removed, etc.  So, to see if it turns over AND starts, I need to put that stuff back together.  I will be able to do the cranking/starting/charging test tomorrow evening.  And I really appreciate the step-by-step guidance.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/29/10 at 10:45:42

Sorry we lost time, Serenity. Well.. I assumed you jumped it first, and itstill wouldn't budge.   Embarrassed I'll be here. And we'll find it.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #34 - 03/29/10 at 12:58:28

I don't mind going slow if it means doing it correctly. Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 03/29/10 at 20:10:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/26/10 at 14:52:07:
& theres a little skinny 12 volt/red wire under the seat that can be jumped to the decomp timer & the starter will turn it over, even with the key in your pocket, no matter what gear its in, or if the clutch is pulled, or sidestand down..

Seriously, no kidding, THIS will bypass so much of the wiring harness. If you do this & it Wont Crank, youve limited a great deal of the wiring.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 03/29/10 at 20:31:05

JOG, it cranks already. All it took was a jump.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 03/29/10 at 20:47:21

Great! I Missed that,,, doooooh.. Still, for all those "My Bike wont crank" threads..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 03/29/10 at 23:53:37

I'll probably get rid of all that stuff. Maybe a buzzer of some sort to warn about the side stand, and that's it. Hell, if it's in gear, and I attempt to start it - so what? Where's it gonna go before I release the button?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #39 - 03/30/10 at 17:24:21

Dasch (and whoever else is interested), I did a minimal reassembly and tried to jump-start the bike.  Still no neutral light.  It cranked over and was getting gas, but would not start.  I pulled the spark plug, re-inserted it into the plug wire boot, and rested the plug on the engine.  There was no spark.  I tried another spark plug (which was working when I last replaced it) - still no spark.  I'm thinking this ought to get your mental wheels turning Cool.  I probably need to check the coil, huh?  But I need good advice on how to do this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 03/31/10 at 06:06:57

First, make sure youve got a hot wire on the coil

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 03/31/10 at 08:23:13

Yup. Contact on, make sure you are in neutral (disregard the light for now, try pushing the bike to confirm), kill switch to RUN, sidestand UP, and measure voltage between Orange/White on the coil and good ground. You should read battery voltage there, by the schematics.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #42 - 03/31/10 at 08:45:35

It might be Friday before I can test the coil.  You guys are awesome! Cool

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 03/31/10 at 09:59:48

C'mon now... If we were awesome, you'd be on the road by now!  Wink

It's a payback, serenity... many on this forum were here for me too, so... we're just... here.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #44 - 04/05/10 at 05:14:01

dasch wrote on 03/31/10 at 08:23:13:
Yup. Contact on, make sure you are in neutral (disregard the light for now, try pushing the bike to confirm), kill switch to RUN, sidestand UP, and measure voltage between Orange/White on the coil and good ground. You should read battery voltage there, by the schematics.

Here are the findings from the weekend.  With jumper cables from car battery to motorcycle battery, voltage reading at the battery terminals was exactly 12.25.  Voltage reading at the coil (+ to O/W, - to head) was not exact:  fluctuating between 11.15 and 11.22 at first.  After 2 or 3 minutes, the fluctuation had dropped to 11.12 to 11.15.  Your interpretations, please? Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:20:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with electrics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.