Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Need help with electrics (Read 1034 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Need help with electrics
Reply #15 - 03/25/10 at 09:37:45

Disconnect the Y/B and touch the pin on the relay itself. Be careful, that's a live + you are whipping with Wink

Try several times, try cleaning the pin somehow first, then touch it. We (you) need to be 100% sure about the relay, before we go further.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #16 - 03/25/10 at 10:32:31

Thank you, Routy and Dasch.  I will test it out after work this evening.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #17 - 03/25/10 at 15:00:38

Okay, now that I did the test correctly, the relay activates the starter.  Next step, please?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/26/10 at 02:10:30

Next step... hmmmm... all right... relay is fine, starter is fine. we will get to stupid safety systems next (clutch switch, neutral light, sidestand switch  Wink
I get my hands on the schematics tonight and give you few more.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #19 - 03/26/10 at 08:02:35

dasch wrote on 03/26/10 at 02:10:30:
. . . clutch switch, neutral light, sidestand switch. . .

Dasch, I can tell you that the neutral light was not illuminating after reassembly following cam chain and adjuster replacement.  I have tested the bulb and it is good.  So I've been thinking for some time it is the neutral safety switch.  Can we start there?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/26/10 at 09:08:59

If you insist so. We can cover others later. Looking at the schematics - you need to find a plain blue wire going towards the gearbox and ground it somehow. There's a quick release coupling on it somewhere. FInd it, disconnect and ground the end going towards the gas tank, not the one on gearbox side. Then test with bike jumped + to + ground to ground.
You don't need the extra wire to Y/B anymore. Connect relay as it was. Clean contacts first, while you're at it. Post what happens.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #21 - 03/26/10 at 11:23:19

The blue wire you're talking about is the one that enters the clutch cover and is soldered to the neutral switch internally, right?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/26/10 at 11:27:49

Correct. And this internal switch grounds it when in neutral. So we need to ground that wire somehow faking neutral switch engaged. And then try to crank with bike jumped.

And you and I will do that with every freaking switch that effects the starter function  Wink

And then... real work!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/26/10 at 12:50:58

serenity, out of my curiosity - try if it works with blue wire disconnnected as well. Please, post what happens with neutral light and starting in both cases.

« Last Edit: 03/26/10 at 14:16:35 by dasch »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 03/26/10 at 14:52:07

& theres a little skinny 12 volt/red wire under the seat that can be jumped to the decomp timer & the starter will turn it over, even with the key in your pocket, no matter what gear its in, or if the clutch is pulled, or sidestand down..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 03/27/10 at 18:23:55

Geeeeze, I didnt mean to kill it

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/27/10 at 20:57:45

Cheesy

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #27 - 03/29/10 at 05:02:48

dasch wrote on 03/26/10 at 12:50:58:
serenity, out of my curiosity - try if it works with blue wire disconnnected as well. Please, post what happens with neutral light and starting in both cases.

My findings are:  The starter turns the engine with switch grounded, without switch grounded, and with regular connection made.  Neutral light still does not illuminate.  So what does all that mean?  Something tells me it shouldn't really do that. Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 03/29/10 at 05:26:43

Id make sure I had 12 V to thr N lite. Then, Id provide a ground Y& prove it WILL lite up.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 03/29/10 at 05:41:11

serenity3743 wrote on 03/29/10 at 05:02:48:
My findings are:  The starter turns the engine with switch grounded, without switch grounded, and with regular connection made.  Neutral light still does not illuminate.  So what does all that mean?  Something tells me it shouldn't really do that. Huh

No, it shouldn't. Hmmm... something tells me... Have you ran this test with stock setup of the starter relay? I mean, without the extra wire to Y/B? And using start button to fire up? You should have. Maybe I wasn't clear.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:25:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with electrics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.