Send Topic Print
Looking at a GS 850 (Read 196 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Looking at a GS 850
03/17/10 at 21:15:17

Okay guys, help me out here. The 2k Savage I have is my first bike ever. I've run it on a couple of round trips to Miami and one to NC and, although it handled the trips just fine, it's not the most comfortable thing at highway speeds for 400-600 miles a day. Which brings up my interest in a second, (or different) smoother ride.

I'm going to go look at a '79 Suzuki GS 850 tomorrow afternoon. It's a two owner bike, the first being this guys father in-law. It's shaft drive, 4cyl, air cooled, front & back disc brakes, can do tubeless tires, has a Vetters full fairing, detachable hard side bags, a hard trunk/backrest, hitch and newly re-covered seat. I wished it got a bit a bit better gas mileage, but . . .    I figure even if it turned out to be a bad deal and fell apart on me I would still have a lot of good hardware to adapt for the 650.

I know some of you guys my have owned a couple of other rides. What do we know about this bike. All the reviews I've looked up today claim it's a good road bike with enough power and comfort for the long rides two up. Anyone on here know this bike up close and personal? Inform me quick!

Jack

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Looking at a GS 850
Reply #1 - 03/17/10 at 22:02:47

I've never had one or rode one...
But, the specs sound good....

... one thing,... that's a pretty old bike... look close at all the rubber and plastic parts.... even on low miles bikes, that stuff ages badly...
Personally,... for long trips, I'd be looking for something newer....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #2 - 03/18/10 at 04:52:59

The GS850 was a very good bike in its day, but heed serowboat's warning. Things do age on an old bike and a '79 is an OLD bike. Good hunting!

IP Logged
tyromark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/18/10 at 05:13:08

I owned a 1981 GS850 for several years. Always started, rode comfortably. A little heavy for its HP, by contemporary standards, so the acceleration was a disappointment. I sold it after a master brake cylinder rebuild for the just the reasons mentioned above - at 25+ years things start getting brittle and malfunctioning from sheer age. Treat it as a hobby/fun expense and don't spend more on it than you can handle losing.

IP Logged
tyromark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/18/10 at 05:15:17

Did I just say "master cylinder"? Been listening to too much Click 'n Clack. It was the front brake master.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 03/18/10 at 09:53:18

Thanks for the feedback so far. I know it's an old bike (no one complains about the '70 Monte Carlo in the driveway though) and I'm not in dire need of another bike. I am as interested in tinkering on something for a new project as much as looking for another ride. Look at my bike if you have doubts on the tinkering point.

It's just that everybody does the GoldWing thang. The GS was a kinda cool looking bike, and from what I've read so far the only real age related problems were in electrical system neglect and rubber dry-ups from sitting idle too long. The engines are supposed to be nearly bullet proof (as high as 90+k miles before rebuild) with the biggest hassle being working on the carbs.

Never hurts to look. And if the luggage and Vetters were
to fit the Sav . . . . .

Jack

IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/18/10 at 16:08:13

The 1979 GS850 has a points ignition. It changed to electronic ignition in 1980 but retained the advance unit under where the points were. By adding the ignition module instead of the points it is an easy upgrade. Gene

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 03/18/10 at 22:03:07

Well, I went to look at the bike and it was great. Great looking, great
running and a great price at $500. I just decided not to get it. I've got
enough stuff already to contend with. Hard decision with it looking so
good and me with my check book in my pocket. Grrrr . . . I hate acting
grown up sometimes. Probably why I don't do it often.

Jack

IP Logged
Ruddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spokane, WA
Reply #8 - 03/20/10 at 22:22:43

I had an '82 GS850G that I bought new in '84. Outstanding bike. Good handling and definitely fast enough. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds and a top speed of around 120MPH. Add a windshield and saddlebags, and you've got a great sport touring bike. The wide, flat saddle was good for the long haul. As I recall, it won Motorcyclist magazine's sport touring shootout in '79.  Smiley

Rick
'06 S40
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 03/21/10 at 21:04:04

Yeah, I read all the good things about it before I went to look at it.
I'm regretting not doing the deal already. He had a line of people
behind me so I'm sure it's gone. Several of my friends with bikes
have already chimed in with "Get it!" after seeing the pics I took
of it. I just keep telling myself that it needed new tires, had a
slight oil leak AND had four carbs to keep up with. So $500 would
have been closer to $800 and $800 will do a lot to the Savage that
still gets me where I want to go. Just not as comfortable as I might
like it to be.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/22/10 at 08:53:11

I think walking away was a good idea. That $500.00 was just the beginning. Old bikes tug at my heart, too, but, the parts availability is an issue &, as noted, that stuff's getting old. There is a point where "Low Mileage" is not really a benefit , but a documented lack of attention. The brake fluid may be from the factory & the plastic that looks a deep rich black right now may have been almost white the day before the ad went in the paper.

I finally got the time to treat the 4 wheeler with the restect it has earned. After testing the fuser oil on it in a hidden spot for a few weeks, 2 boys & I cleaned & wiped that thing down. The grill was almost white in some places. Now, it's a shiny, dark black. Fuser oil out of a copier lasts much longer than Armor All, costs less & has ZERO
VOC's, so, it doesnt evaporate & doesnt actually cause cracks.

I think it revitalizes rubber & plastic. I use it on steering & other rubber boots & bike gaitors, too.

Things that sit & rot are just as messed up as things that are wore out. There's a healthy amount of use that things seem to need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/22/10 at 09:04:35

Yes, but at $500, you could problably sell next year for the same price.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:29:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking at a GS 850

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.