Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broke Down And Bought A New Petcock (Read 255 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Broke Down And Bought A New Petcock
03/17/10 at 17:36:15

After having problems again this spring with sputtering at highway speeds after warm up I just broke down and bought a new petcock. Flushed the tank twice before installing the new one (just like I did last year) and still got pieces of what looks like gasket material out from when the morons tried to steal the bike last year. Took her out for a shakedown cruise and it was like riding a brand new bike!!! That machine absolutely SINGS at 65 - 70 MHP!  Smiley

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: Broke Down And Bought A New Petcock
Reply #1 - 03/17/10 at 20:56:00

good for u man!

did u go with the raptor? where did u get it and how was the install? i need to do the same myself, been running in prime the last couple of months lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #2 - 03/17/10 at 22:32:13

Replaced with stock unit from stealership. almost $80. Two bolts and two hoses. It took more time to drain the tank than do the repair. The bike's only got 7K+ miles on it, but last fall someone tried to break out the ignition lock and steal it while I was at work. The insurance paid to have all the locks rekeyed and I think my tank got contaminated either during the attempt or when the mechanic was fixing things. Last fall I swapped out my hoses, took the original petcock to the parts cleaner and cleaned the screens, checked the vacuum diaphragm... basically everything I could think of with only moderate results. It just never got the zip back that I was accustomed to. This year when I took it out to ride in Feb. it would run OK at around 30MPH but as soon as I got over 35-40 it acted like it was running out of gas. Switch to prime and it ran OK but still not spectacular. Installed the new petcock and the first time I got on the throttle it pulled me back in the seat. NOW we're talking! That's the performance I remembered!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/17/10 at 22:45:17

A day late and a dollar short, but just to make you feel bad...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268804471

WWW   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 03/18/10 at 01:33:40

ive just bought a raptor cant wait fit it. original one ok but not i dont like the idea of it busting on me. oh i dont like draining the tank all the time.  Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/18/10 at 05:15:23 by jabman »  

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #5 - 03/18/10 at 04:48:44

I just installed a Raptor petcock yesterday. Haven't finished putting the bike back together so don't know how well it will work yet. Install was easy. Drain tank, remove two screws and rubber washers, lift out old petcock, drop in new petcock, reinstall screws and washers. Took maybe 10 minutes. BTW, it looks good!

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #6 - 03/18/10 at 05:16:27

yep i spent the 10 mins and fitted mine today   100% agree with above comments

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/18/10 at 07:21:25

Ok you guys w/ the Raptors,.......but fair warning,... when you roar off one day w/ your crankcase 1/2 full of gasoline, and you hear this strange rattlin noise, we can't feel sorry for you any more  :'(
Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #8 - 03/18/10 at 10:52:24

a piece of advise   i would most defiantly check the condition of your float valve and use an in-line fuel filter (even though it already has one)

that means there is no chance of bits stopping the valve from sticking  

this has worked with previous bikes that didnt have a vac fuel tap

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/18/10 at 11:03:07

Reminder to the Raptor installs....

Don't forget to block off the carb vacuum tap.... That must be plugged off,.. or you will have an air leak and run very lean... Wink

That's the rubber cap that the upper arrow is pointing to...
I put a screw in mine,... rubber will rot in a few months...
if you don't want to do that,... leave an inch of vacuum line on it and put a screw in the end of that...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #10 - 03/18/10 at 12:05:59

yep nearly forgot to do that  Smiley

IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #11 - 03/18/10 at 13:18:46

Blocked off vacuum port! I also installed an in-line fuel filter. Put bike back together today and it is running good. Sounds good with Dyna muffler too. Only problem, right rear turn signal not working. Probably have to do some rewiring, connections seem "iffy".

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 05/23/10 at 21:37:18

Serowbot wrote on 03/18/10 at 11:03:07:
Reminder to the Raptor installs....

Don't forget to block off the carb vacuum tap.... That must be plugged off,.. or you will have an air leak and run very lean... Wink

That's the rubber cap that the upper arrow is pointing to...
I put a screw in mine,... rubber will rot in a few months...
if you don't want to do that,... leave an inch of vacuum line on it and put a screw in the end of that...
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/plug.jpg?t=1251936339

Here's how I plugged my vacuum port when I went to the Raptor petcock:

There is a bit of silicone sealant inside of the hose where it is bent.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #13 - 05/27/10 at 17:40:15

Good idea.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
voodoo

Hang on to the
Vintage!

Austin, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/27/10 at 19:48:05

Routy wrote on 03/18/10 at 07:21:25:
Ok you guys w/ the Raptors,.......but fair warning,... when you roar off one day w/ your crankcase 1/2 full of gasoline, and you hear this strange rattlin noise, we can't feel sorry for you any more  :'(
Grin

Logic vs. common sense:

I've worked on 20 something plus Savages and I'd say more than half of them had a small continuous leak from diaphragm failure.  These leaks went unnoticed until the fuel line was removed for service.  In this case, what would happen if the needle valve failed...

Hmmmm... Oh Yeah- you roar off w/ your crankcase 1/2 full of gasoline, and you hear this strange rattlin noise...

To me, a vacuum operated shut-off valve is like having one of those plastic fences around your backyard swimming pool to protect your toddlers!  It' a FALSE sense of security and nothing compensates better than just good ol' preventative maintenance.

Put on the Raptor petcock, and train yourself to turn it off.  Don't depend on the vacuum petcock.  The vacuum sucks!  Grin

Now Offering Custom CNC Plasma Service!
http://www.voodoovintage.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:45:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broke Down And Bought A New Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.