Vacumn Gage or Tach ? (Read 271 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Vacumn Gage or Tach ?
Reply #15 - 03/18/10 at 06:19:18

If its a tune up gauge like I have, it doesn't have restriction in it.
I'll find out about the "SunPro" in a few hrs. I'm sure w/ restriction it will stabilize at higher Rs.
jabman wrote on 03/18/10 at 05:14:13:
i just fitted one to my vac hose   it flicks from nothing to full so fast the needle is a blur   more work is needed here it looks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 03/18/10 at 20:12:59

Got it done. Sure looks nice, but I don't think it will make a good shift indicator. I didn't get a chance to really try it out at speed. More later.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 03/19/10 at 05:23:00

Shown....10" Vacuum at dead idle.
At 1500 R's it dropped to 7-8"
That seems low, but I've never put a vac gauge on a single cyl either.
The reading was quite irratic at idle,.....0-15 and stabilized some at 1500 R's, ...like 8-12. The restrictor in the gauge was .030, so I added a .020 in the hose, and now it is perfectly normal w/ reaction time still ok. I'll try it at speed when the weather warms a little. But if it fails to serve the purpose, I have another place for the gauge, and my custom made ss mount will hold a tach just fine.

Rich
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #18 - 03/19/10 at 05:35:39

hey my vac gauge goes from 0-30 like that one   what did yer do to make it work?

does it need blocking of with a 0.5mm hole in the middle?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 03/19/10 at 06:01:31

I am going to make a guess, here. I am guessing your vacuum gauge is "averaging" or "integrating" the vacuum in the manifold. During the intake stroke, about 180 degrees, there is a pressure reduction or vacuum in the manifold. During the other strokes, about 540 degrees, the pressure is near atmospheric. So vacuum is present only about 25% of the time. The restrictor in the vacuum hose (or in the gauge) "damps" the gauge response so the needle responds more slowly, and you see the average vacuum instead of the instantaneous vacuum. I expect this phenomenon would exist in the manifold of almost any multi-cylinder engine with individual carburetors and manifolds, and no balance plumbing.

I have to wonder whether this very pulsatile flow and vacuum makes setting carburetors more difficult. I wonder whether the throttle slide on CV carburetors is constantly jittering in response to it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 03/19/10 at 16:01:51

Your guess about average may be correct. Like said I have never done this on a single cyl. But I'm convinced there is nothing wrong w/ the bike,.....as to the low vacuum. I still hqave to road test it yet.
Charon wrote on 03/19/10 at 06:01:31:
I am going to make a guess, here. I am guessing your vacuum gauge is "averaging" or "integrating" the vacuum in the manifold. During the intake stroke, about 180 degrees, there is a pressure reduction or vacuum in the manifold. During the other strokes, about 540 degrees, the pressure is near atmospheric. So vacuum is present only about 25% of the time. The restrictor in the vacuum hose (or in the gauge) "damps" the gauge response so the needle responds more slowly, and you see the average vacuum instead of the instantaneous vacuum. I expect this phenomenon would exist in the manifold of almost any multi-cylinder engine with individual carburetors and manifolds, and no balance plumbing.

I have to wonder whether this very pulsatile flow and vacuum makes setting carburetors more difficult. I wonder whether the throttle slide on CV carburetors is constantly jittering in response to it.

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 03/19/10 at 16:11:43

I machined a round pc of plastic 3/8 " long to the same diameter as the "T". Then I drilled it w/ a number drill at .020  then I used the T to push it into the hose. And It is 100% stable at all speeds.

jabman wrote on 03/19/10 at 05:35:39:
hey my vac gauge goes from 0-30 like that one   what did yer do to make it work?

does it need blocking of with a 0.5mm hole in the middle?

Rich
  IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #22 - 03/20/10 at 07:10:29

If you need a restrictor, find a friend in the commercial Air Conditioning business. A restrictor costs about $0.30, and is available in many sizes, and you can get restrictor tee fittings as well.

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 03/20/10 at 07:21:31

A nice ananlog (dial) tach from Drag Specialties, Around $80 with the mounts.  Then you have something to check the idle RPM to keep it above 1000 rpms.

Heck,  after a while I started to use the tach as a Speedo since it was higher and easier to look at.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 15:28:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vacumn Gage or Tach ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.