New (Read 2493 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: New
Reply #45 - 03/19/10 at 11:37:33

kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:50:46:
when bike is on stand it's 1/2 full in the little view on the engine, when straight it covers the view.

There's your problem, too much oil. You shouldn't see that much if any oil in the site glass when the bike is on the stand. Either gas has made it's way into the crankcase raising your oil level, or your mechanic friend unused to the Savage/S40 did not realize he had to check the oil while the bike is straight up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 03/19/10 at 11:41:59

[quote author=707E6974687E757E1B0 link=1268803619/30#43 date=1269021046]verslagen1 wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:28:46:
I'm running on the cheap nuts you guys recommend, that reused oil... when bike is on stand it's 1/2 full in the little view on the engine, when straight it covers the view. The oil is somewhat new, changed in end of oct or begining of Nov.

I'll check out the petcock too, problem is I'm really limited on time and what I can do, not my place, dont want to be a bother.

By the way, how do you test the petcock when you cant start the bike? lol

The cheap shuff I use is definitely not recycled. Rotella Syn 5w40.
If you're using cheap recycled sh!t, I didn't recommend it.

OK, you're overfilling your oil, and if your mech friend filled it, he's overfilling too.  The oil level should be checked with the bike straight up not on the side stand.  There's a owners manual in the tech doc's, I suggest you get a copy and read it.

At this point don't worry about the petcock, plug the vac port, run on prime.

WWW   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 03/19/10 at 11:52:47

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/19/10 at 11:37:33:
kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:50:46:
when bike is on stand it's 1/2 full in the little view on the engine, when straight it covers the view.

There's your problem, too much oil. You shouldn't see that much if any oil in the site glass when the bike is on the stand. Either gas has made it's way into the crankcase raising your oil level, or your mechanic friend unused to the Savage/S40 did not realize he had to check the oil while the bike is straight up.

He was the previous owner, had it for a year, very possible gas got in there, I doubt he'd overfill it... 1 more thing to check!

[quote author=4D5E4948575A5C5E550A3B0 link=1268803619/45#46 date=1269024119]kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:50:46:
verslagen1 wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:28:46:
I'm running on the cheap nuts you guys recommend, that reused oil... when bike is on stand it's 1/2 full in the little view on the engine, when straight it covers the view. The oil is somewhat new, changed in end of oct or begining of Nov.

I'll check out the petcock too, problem is I'm really limited on time and what I can do, not my place, dont want to be a bother.

By the way, how do you test the petcock when you cant start the bike? lol

The cheap shuff I use is definitely not recycled. Rotella Syn 5w40.
If you're using cheap recycled sh!t, I didn't recommend it.

OK, you're overfilling your oil, and if your mech friend filled it, he's overfilling too.  The oil level should be checked with the bike straight up not on the side stand.  There's a owners manual in the tech doc's, I suggest you get a copy and read it.

At this point don't worry about the petcock, plug the vac port, run on prime.

Rotella, thats what I have/he used, he filled it up, I havn't touched the oil yet a single time, I'll drain it a little and see what happens.

Vers, yet again, I mention Smiley Bike doesnt start... I am hoping cleaning out the carb will fix that though... I always run the bike on prime Tongue

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #48 - 03/19/10 at 13:20:25

its easy to see if its overfilled   on flat ground the bike on its side stand and the bars over to the left, a tiny amount of oil should be visible in the oil window      any more and its overfilled     some people argue that a little overfill is ok but if the oil is way up the sight then you have a problem  

when i overfilled by mistake   the bike refused to start   took many attempts to start and died when idling  and had visible smoke from the exhaust

but it sounds more like the fuel tap is not working

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 03/19/10 at 16:23:54

i dont think it's meant to be this color

« Last Edit: 03/19/10 at 20:06:02 by kerosene »  
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 03/19/10 at 16:31:15

1 more issue... one of the screws (of 3) holding the plate is .... completely destroyed (prior to me) how do I get it out?

I have verified, carb was filled with oil, the diaphram had oil on it and under...

IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 03/19/10 at 17:39:08

Ok, so I got the 3 screw cover off, took some muscle (hammer) and a sharp flat head bit I made it from a philips to a flathead.... served it's purpose... now, where do I buy a new screw (althoug I can use the same screw, I dont think it'd be wise)

My suspicions are confirmed, that diaphram also had oil in it

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #52 - 03/19/10 at 19:09:32

I don't know how the oil got in there, maybe down the needle jet.

but you'll need some carb cleaner, spray will get the job done.  blow out every passage.

WWW   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 03/19/10 at 19:42:47

I have all clean now....

Couple things I noticed...

the 2 little floaters... I took them off to clean inside there, and the jet (?) popped out... it looks similar to what you have in a faucet, looks like it's meant to spray evenly...

Blue arrow green border - thats what fell out, looks like there should be a gromet/washer in the center of it, theres an indentation in it...

Blue arrow RED border - I don't have that  Huh mine has what looks like a phillips with a hole...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 03/19/10 at 20:09:58

the 2 little floaters... I took them off to clean inside there, and the jet (?) popped out... it looks similar to what you have in a faucet, looks like it's meant to spray evenly...
That's the float valve, take the screw out and pull that out and clean the screen on top.
Blue arrow green border - thats what fell out, looks like there should be a gromet/washer in the center of it, theres an indentation in it...
No washer just the valve.
Blue arrow RED border - I don't have that  Huh mine has what looks like a phillips with a hole...
Idk what that is, but you need one... I guess.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

WWW   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 03/19/10 at 20:29:58

That indent should be empty?

See, not there? do not all have them?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 03/19/10 at 20:47:31

The groove should get an oring

and your thingy was broke off.

WWW   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 03/19/10 at 20:51:22

verslagen1 wrote on 03/19/10 at 20:47:31:
The groove should get an oring

and your thingy was broke off.

Where can I get an O-Ring for it?

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=2681

I found that on market but ebay, apperantly their site is cheaper, I know that Lancer sells the jet kit, but this seems to have more for a 10 $ more...

I also have a different pilot air screw, it's flat not pointy... no oring or spring either..

What's the 'thingy' and could that be part of the problem why my bike doesnt want to run properly?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 03/20/10 at 00:18:17

Not sure where it goes but it sticks down into the gas.  
so instead of gas you're getting air at the wrong time.
don't know if you can replace it.  I had hoped never to find out.

I got a nitrile oring kit from harbor freight, so just get one that fits.

WWW   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 03/20/10 at 09:06:33

Ok guys, so I guess the question is, do I buy a new carb or do I try to use this one? I guess if I'd buy a new one I'd look for one with the K&N filter that's been jetted already

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:29:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.