bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: New
Reply #30 - 03/17/10 at 13:18:57

kerosene wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:55:06:
bill67 wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:53:03:
Sea Foam works wonders to clean a carb and you don't have to take anything apart.

really? but that's assuming your gas tank is almost full and that the bike fires up Tongue can I get seafoam from autozone?

Your gas tank don't have to be full.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/17/10 at 13:36:18

bill67 wrote on 03/17/10 at 13:18:57:
kerosene wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:55:06:
bill67 wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:53:03:
Sea Foam works wonders to clean a carb and you don't have to take anything apart.

really? but that's assuming your gas tank is almost full and that the bike fires up Tongue can I get seafoam from autozone?

Your gas tank don't have to be full.

my point is that the seafoam would be very diluted and wouldn't it take a while to get it into the engine?

Also, seafoam seems to be the FASTEST route, no offense to everyone else, but as I said, this isn't my house/garage, I dont want to be unwelcomed because I was working on my bike there...

btw, I like the seafoam idea, some *insert racist comment here* was making fun of me and calling me a loser because my bike died, so I want to take the bike down the hill and start it up in front of their house as soon as they say loser! I'd be so happy

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 03/17/10 at 13:49:44

If you know how to take your fuel bowl off,take it off and put a 1/2 ounce of Sea Foam in it and put it back on.Put it on prime and start it up you will have a strong mixture.Run it for 4-5 minutes and then let it sit over night.That should clean it up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/17/10 at 14:10:54

I can always drain the gas a bit... I know how to take the cover off, Just dont want to be arsed Tongue if I dont have to

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 03/17/10 at 14:31:50

Put it in the gas tank then.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/18/10 at 22:34:11

Ok, so today I went out there and worked on the bike a bit... few things...
1.) my air filter canister was filled with oil and the filter itself was drenched with it (no clue where it came from, yes it was oil.)

2.) For whatever reason when I took the main boot connected to the carburator, it also had some oil in/on it (I suspect from the air filter) which could have caused the problem to begin with.

3.) Battery died... NO CLUE why, brand new yuasa acid battery, ended up connecting a car battery to my bike to check and make sure the bike wasn't dead!

4.) Took the carb off, checked one of the tubes, there was oil in it....

5.) Seafoam idea might have succeeded if my bike actually wanted to start and run (after 2nd try it gave up)

So basically now I have a dead battery, a bike thats completely taken apart, a carburator and a finger burned by acid (accidently touched the battery after tipping which made it leak and then touched metal Smiley yay!)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 03/18/10 at 23:00:40

when you over fill the oil, it blows out the crankcase vent into the airbox.
There's a hose hanging down with a plug in it.  pull the plug out and the oil will drain.

oil drenched air filter won't let much air in.

check the oil for gas, if gas then your petcock diaphragm failed.  plug the vac line for now.

battery? idk

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #37 - 03/18/10 at 23:05:52

I've missed this thread up 'till now... haven't gone through all the advice here but,... it sounds very much to me like your petcock is bad...
Running on prime will allow gas to flow, but if the petcock diaphragm is torn, gas will flow down the vacuum line and cause havoc...

1. Test your petcock- here's instructions...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

2.  If you want to get seafoam into your carb, quickly,... disconnect the fuel line at the petcock, drain the line, and pour some seafoam into the line... then reconnect... it will quickly enter the floatbowl in undiluted form and get to work...

But really,... consider the petcock, specifically the vacuum diaphragm, the main suspect... it's much more insidious than you can imagine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 03/19/10 at 09:37:20

verslagen1 wrote on 03/18/10 at 23:00:40:
when you over fill the oil, it blows out the crankcase vent into the airbox.
There's a hose hanging down with a plug in it.  pull the plug out and the oil will drain.

oil drenched air filter won't let much air in.

check the oil for gas, if gas then your petcock diaphragm failed.  plug the vac line for now.

battery? idk

The oil was changed by my mechanic buddy when he was replacing the plug, I can't imagine him getting it wrong and pouring too much, especially since he's been working on bikes for 5+ years... I asked him yesterday if he poured too much, he denied.

How can I check the oil for gasoline?

Serowbot wrote on 03/18/10 at 23:05:52:
I've missed this thread up 'till now... haven't gone through all the advice here but,... it sounds very much to me like your petcock is bad...
Running on prime will allow gas to flow, but if the petcock diaphragm is torn, gas will flow down the vacuum line and cause havoc...

1. Test your petcock- here's instructions...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

2.  If you want to get seafoam into your carb, quickly,... disconnect the fuel line at the petcock, drain the line, and pour some seafoam into the line... then reconnect... it will quickly enter the floatbowl in undiluted form and get to work...

But really,... consider the petcock, specifically the vacuum diaphragm, the main suspect... it's much more insidious than you can imagine...

Seafoam would work IF I got the bike fired up

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #39 - 03/19/10 at 09:49:16

Quote, "How can I check the oil for gas?"

Take the filler cap off and smell of it, that was what they told me.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 03/19/10 at 10:14:05

well, do you guys want me to drain some oil and sniff it like coke or light it on fire and see how fast it goes out... burning man Smiley

in all seriousness, I know for sure that there was oil in the carb, I smelled it and it both reaked like gas and smelled like oil, I had my buddy taste it too, just for kicks (I already knew it was oil)

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #41 - 03/19/10 at 10:21:34

kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:14:05:
well, do you guys want me to drain some oil and sniff it like coke or light it on fire and see how fast it goes out... burning man Smiley

in all seriousness, I know for sure that there was oil in the carb, I smelled it and it both reaked like gas and smelled like oil, I had my buddy taste it too, just for kicks (I already knew it was oil)

I would sniff, not necessarily snort  Smiley.  A little oil in the air box is not a real issue, as I understand it.  There is a breather hose that vents there, I think.  Gas in the crankcase is a whole different issue.  Like was said usually comes from a petcock issue.  Can make a real mess of an engine.

I think I am telling you right, but if not someone will chime in soon enough! Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 03/19/10 at 10:28:46

kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 09:37:20:
The oil was changed by my mechanic buddy when he was replacing the plug, I can't imagine him getting it wrong and pouring too much, especially since he's been working on bikes for 5+ years... I asked him yesterday if he poured too much, he denied.

Not intended as a accusation, just info.  If it's over it'll blow thru.
Even being at the top of the level and going down a steep incline could cause it.
But pour a little gas in and definitely.

yep, the only way is to sniff it, don't be standing in a puddle of gas when you do.  best just to change it if the level has changes since you last filled it.

the danger is running the engine with severely thinned oil.  a little gas in the oil is normal due to choke to warm up.

WWW   IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 03/19/10 at 10:50:46

verslagen1 wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:28:46:
kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 09:37:20:

Not intended as a accusation, just info.  If it's over it'll blow thru.
Even being at the top of the level and going down a steep incline could cause it.
But pour a little gas in and definitely.

yep, the only way is to sniff it, don't be standing in a puddle of gas when you do.  best just to change it if the level has changes since you last filled it.

the danger is running the engine with severely thinned oil.  a little gas in the oil is normal due to choke to warm up.

I'm running on the cheap nuts you guys recommend, that reused oil... when bike is on stand it's 1/2 full in the little view on the engine, when straight it covers the view. The oil is somewhat new, changed in end of oct or begining of Nov.

I'll check out the petcock too, problem is I'm really limited on time and what I can do, not my place, dont want to be a bother.

By the way, how do you test the petcock when you cant start the bike? lol

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #44 - 03/19/10 at 11:36:50

kerosene wrote on 03/19/10 at 10:50:46:
I'm running on the cheap nuts you guys recommend, that reused oil... when bike is on stand it's 1/2 full in the little view on the engine, when straight it covers the view.

Wait a minute, when the bike is plumb, the glass fills completely with oil?  Way too full.  The glass should be 1/2 covered when the bike is plumb, and nothing should show when the bike is on the sidestand.  You either have gas leaking into the oil, or need to fire your mechanic.

Quote:
By the way, how do you test the petcock when you cant start the bike? lol

Don't trust that thing.. either rebuild it per the recent instructions in the tech section, or remove and cap off the vacuum line, and just set it on 'pri' when running the engine.. until you get a manual petcock.   In this mode you can "test" it by putting the gas line in a jar and make sure it flows gas in the 'pri' position and flows nothing in the 'on' position.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:45:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.