Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: New
Reply #15 - 03/17/10 at 06:50:17

Quote:
I really am wondering if its as simple as that vac line being off, it's very possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you were running on "prime", you were bypassing (eliminating) every part of the vacumn operated shutoff system. So if the fuel is getting thru the screen in the petcock, you were getting full fuel to the carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/17/10 at 07:05:29

Routy wrote on 03/17/10 at 06:50:17:
Quote:
I really am wondering if its as simple as that vac line being off, it's very possible.
If you were running on "prime", you were bypassing (eliminating) every part of the vacumn operated shutoff system. So if the fuel is getting thru the screen in the petcock, you were getting full fuel to the carb.

ok, so that eliminates that... darn it! I might be able to go out there today and pull the carb off, take it home, clean and then come back friday to put it back on... how long does it take to pull off the carburator?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 03/17/10 at 07:13:50

kerosene wrote on 03/17/10 at 07:05:29:
Routy wrote on 03/17/10 at 06:50:17:
Quote:

ok, so that eliminates that... darn it! I might be able to go out there today and pull the carb off, take it home, clean and then come back friday to put it back on... how long does it take to pull off the carburator?

That is a tricky question, because you have to pull off the tank as well. I personally also pull the battery box out, it makes it much easier to get the carb out.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/17/10 at 07:16:26

wished there was more sunlight in the days... I really am limited to time, I almost want to take a chance and try to ride it home, and if it dies have insurance tow or take a pickup from menards

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 03/17/10 at 07:34:56

Since the carb is a pain to remove, I'd try to do several things at once.

A good long soak in one of those carb-bath-in-a-can things will get crud out of many nooks and crannies that may have been missed on the 1st cleaning.

The "white spacer mod" can be done.  Undo the top of the carb and that little clasp that holds the white spacer (which holds the needle down in a lean position).  Take out the white spacer, shave it down to 1/2 thickness and replace.  This mod will cure much of the backfiring and hot running that's blueing your header pipe.

The screws for the bowl can be replaced with allen head screws so the bowl will come off easy when you rejet (see Lancer or JetsRus.com for jets).

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/17/10 at 10:03:30

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/10 at 07:34:56:
Since the carb is a pain to remove, I'd try to do several things at once.

A good long soak in one of those carb-bath-in-a-can things will get crud out of many nooks and crannies that may have been missed on the 1st cleaning.

The "white spacer mod" can be done.  Undo the top of the carb and that little clasp that holds the white spacer (which holds the needle down in a lean position).  Take out the white spacer, shave it down to 1/2 thickness and replace.  This mod will cure much of the backfiring and hot running that's blueing your header pipe.

The screws for the bowl can be replaced with allen head screws so the bowl will come off easy when you rejet (see Lancer or JetsRus.com for jets).

What's carb bath in a can?

I will do the white spacer mod as I'm at it Smiley thanks anything else worth doing as long as I'm there?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #21 - 03/17/10 at 10:12:33

kerosene wrote on 03/17/10 at 10:03:30:
What's carb bath in a can?

I will do the white spacer mod as I'm at it Smiley thanks anything else worth doing as long as I'm there?

Carb bath in a can is carb cleaning fluid in a regular can instead of a spray can. It usually comes in a kit with the fluid and a basket. You place the carb in the basket and submerge it completely in the fluid for a period of time.

I don't know any brand names for the stuff though so I can't help you out there.

IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/17/10 at 10:43:00

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?cat...

any recommendations guys?

Berryman/1 gal. B-9 carburetor and parts cleaner with basket <- in stock, all the others are not

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #23 - 03/17/10 at 10:49:08

The only problem with using a carb bath is the rubber seals in the carb. You need to be sure to remove them before submersion because the cleaner will eat them up. I've never actually used an actual carb bath but that is what I have heard from others who have.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 03/17/10 at 10:57:30

Carb baths (at least when I last did it) can be found under the brand names 'gunk'  and 'gumout.'  I was totally puzzled by a poor-running XR200 before I dunked the carb overnight.. problem solved.  Yonuh Adisi is right about the rubber parts.. be sure to remove them or at least check the label and make sure they won't dissolve.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 03/17/10 at 12:07:44

I don't know this carb very well, except for doing the white spacer mod, (which BTW turned out fantastic) but others here know how hard/easy it is to get the "main jet" out. The way you describe the problem, I would almost bet my last nickle that there is a chunk of junk stuck in the main jet, or at least floating near it. It mite save R&Ring the carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/17/10 at 12:24:09

Routy wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:07:44:
I don't know this carb very well, except for doing the white spacer mod, (which BTW turned out fantastic) but others here know how hard/easy it is to get the "main jet" out. The way you describe the problem, I would almost bet my last nickle that there is a chunk of junk stuck in the main jet, or at least floating near it. It mite save R&Ring the carb.

R&Ring? Rock and rolling? wooo

In all seriousness

I've also seen people boil their carburator, supposedly it does the same amount of work... boil it for 30 min in boiling water let dry and then clean off any mineral deposits (I was figuring I'd clean it afterwards with carb cleaner)

Btw... somoeone should make a video of how to remove/clean carbs Tongue

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 03/17/10 at 12:53:03

Sea Foam works wonders to clean a carb and you don't have to take anything apart.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/17/10 at 12:55:06

bill67 wrote on 03/17/10 at 12:53:03:
Sea Foam works wonders to clean a carb and you don't have to take anything apart.

really? but that's assuming your gas tank is almost full and that the bike fires up Tongue can I get seafoam from autozone?

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #29 - 03/17/10 at 13:03:32

Yeah, I think any auto parts store will have seafoam.  Did you ever get some fresh gas from a different station?  Remember to drain the bowl first!

Edit: Here are labeled pictures of the carb: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.