CARB UPGRADE??? (Read 280 times)
jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
CARB UPGRADE???
03/16/10 at 02:43:12

I have a stock 2008 s40 carb. I am very interested in changing the jetting on it except i dont know which jet set to buy, and if ill be over my head trying to re-adjust everything. I worked as a mechanic and im very inclined as a mechanic, but sometimes dont know where to start or stop.  any suggestions???

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: CARB UPGRADE???
Reply #1 - 03/16/10 at 05:02:47

There is a LOT of good how-to info in the tech section on carb tuning, jetting, etc. This carb is easy to work on and does not take much time to become familiar with it.  You can do it.
Jetting will depend on your exhaust choice primarily.  We can offer suggestions for starting the process, then you go with what the engine likes.   Ride it and see how it responds ... you know.  Since you have done mech work before it will come to you quickly.  The basic principles are the same with any engine .  Fortunately, this one is 1 cyl, 1 carb, 1 exhaust pipe/muff and not many parts.  And everything is right there in front of you. .. makes it easier...

JETSETS are $21.95;  if you wish info just PM me

IP Logged
jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
Reply #2 - 03/16/10 at 05:39:18

well last week i bought a dyna exaust and it very much eliminated the sputtering/backfiring and what little bit it does, doesnt bother me any more. It did blue my new exaust a little but that is what has led me to the carb. I know i need a jet kit but not shure which one. I think I need a stage two kit and ive read the info in the tech section (good info) but still a little confused on which kit to buy?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/16/10 at 06:53:22

Most of the jet kits on ebay, the stage 1, 2 or 3, provide only 1 pilot jet and 1 main jet.  So choosing the correct one can be difficult since different muffler choices often require different jetting.  
Which one will you need ?  It is difficult to know for sure before you actually have the muffler/air filter installed and begin the tuning process.  
Only then will you know if a particular jet is too lean, too rich or just right.
There can be variations even among two engines with the same intake and exhaust installed.  Different engines may require slightly different jetting/tuning from each other.  Yea, strange but true and proven over many years of folks posting tuning and performance info on this site.

The JETSET I put together has 2 pilot jets and 3 main jets, washers for the needle and a float bowl gasket.

These parts will enable tuning the stock carb for ANY muffler and or air filter change on a stock engine.
It is price at just $21.95 which includes shipping in the US.  It is the best deal for your buck found anywhere.
I try to keep cost for parts at a very reasonable level for members of this forum.  Ask around and others will confirm that I am fair and dependable.

I have an ebay store as well but prices there are slightly higher.
Anything I list on ebay can be purchased directly from me at a 10% discount of the ebay price for members of this forum.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #4 - 03/16/10 at 12:25:28

I could of sworn Lancer had a thread in the marketplace dedicated to his jetsets, but I cannot find it now.  Anyway, Lancer's the go-to man for jets and carb upgrades.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
Reply #5 - 03/16/10 at 22:14:01

Thanks for the help.....gents Its like i have a new bike every day!!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/18/10 at 04:37:00

Moofed wrote on 03/16/10 at 12:25:28:
I could of sworn Lancer had a thread in the marketplace dedicated to his jetsets, but I cannot find it now.  Anyway, Lancer's the go-to man for jets and carb upgrades.  

It may be too old now.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/18/10 at 04:52:40

Moofed wrote on 03/16/10 at 12:25:28:

This is a fairly recent link where the JETSETS are discussed.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1254087600/2#2

This is one of my comments:

There are no carb rebuild kits available.  For a carb in good basic condition I have JETSETS with which you can jet/tune the carb to match any combo of air filter and assorted mufflers.
If you have a carb that needs replacement parts, then you have to buy them piece by piece from the dealership.  Unfortunately, that is cost prohibitive for anything but screws or individual jets.  Try to replace the "slide with rubber diaphram" and you will be hit with a substantial bill.
Buying all the parts needed to rebuild a stock carb
Usually, the problems that would require a so-called rebuild are a defective slide/diaphram or the pilot adjusting screw gets stuck in its hole and requires drilling to remove it.  This often results in excessive damage to the carb body which leaves it unusable.  At this point, a replacement carb is needed.  A new one from the dealer is in the $300-400+ range.  A used one may be found on ebay, and if in good condition expect to pay $150+.  Lower priced carbs are occasionally available but may have a stuck pilot screw,  which puts you back to square one.
I would suggest that if you look for a used carb on ebay that you insist on this guarantee:  
-the pilot adj. screw is moving freely and is not damaged
, including the needle seat
-the slide moves freely and is not damaged  
-the rubber diaphram is in good comdition and without cracks or holes
*if not, then you get your money back.

JETSET

#52.5 & #55 pilot jets
#150, #152.5 & #155 main jets
3 washers to replace the white spacer on the needle
float bowl gasket

$21.95  usually sent vea Paypal

If you feel you need something more in the way of a performance carburetor then the following is available.
I sell this Suzuki Savage/S40 Performance Carburetor Kit on eBay.
You will not find any carb kit for the Savage/S40 anything like this from anywhere.  I have spent several years refining the kit and over the past 4-5 years have sold over 400 carbs and carb kits.

Check out the ebay listing and just holler if you have any additional questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=1204492783...  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 03/18/10 at 05:43:30

Quote:
Which one will you need ?  It is difficult to know for sure before you actually have the muffler/air filter installed and begin the tuning process.  
Only then will you know if a particular jet is too lean, too rich or just right.
There can be variations even among two engines with the same intake and exhaust installed.  Different engines may require slightly different jetting/tuning from each other.  Yea, strange but true and proven over many years of folks posting tuning and performance info on this site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO, Lancer says it right ! Not that I'm any kind of an expert on these bikes, but I have much mechanics experience from years passed. And I do know that these bikes do not all tune the same, nor do we all ride the same, or ride at the same altitudes.

From my experience w/ my bike, (no open exhaust) and 6-8 months reading here, I can only add this,.......
Don't start jetting,...carb modding etc etc just because it seems like everybody else does it. Have a reason for doing it. In my case, trimming the needle spacer was all that was needed to correct a low end lean condition. I can't find any evidence of a lean condition at hi speeds or WOT. But if I did a lot of hi speed or WOT in hot weather, I would take another look at the plug etc, and possibly open the main jet a little, especially if I opened the exhaust more than my drilling it.
I'll also add,...IMO, a blueing exhaust could be,...but is not necessarily proof of a lean running engine.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 03/18/10 at 05:52:55

A richer high speed jet will get you more power when your wide open.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/18/10 at 06:11:31

bill67 wrote on 03/18/10 at 05:52:55:
  A richer high speed jet will get you more power when your wide open.

If its already rich ?
Where do you draw the line,....when you get a big stumble when backing off, or wait for black smoke ? Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 03/18/10 at 06:13:59

Did you try a richer high speed jet?And are you saying your to rich.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/18/10 at 11:36:18

you can keep going up on the main jet, and when it gets TOO RICH it will stumble at WOT.
do the testing in 3rd or 4th gear

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:26:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CARB UPGRADE???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.