Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"I need Project help" can you lend a han (Read 326 times)
metricman
YaBB Newbies

Be your own man

"I need Project help" can you lend a han
03/13/10 at 20:31:35

I finally got my new project ls650 running today and it ran for a few min and backfired a popped some when a hit the throttle. {sputtering} like the carb is gummed up, [Note] this bike has been sitting for a few years and out doors by the look of it, but it is a low mileage for a 97 bike, under 7k
and only cost me $270 and believe me, you get what you pay for!! [end note]
I restarted the bike and It keep running worse and shutting off like it was starving for gas, and then it started leaking gas out of the air box!!! pet thingy thing I guess, well the good thing is, I know it runs and the other good thing is I can proceed with my project bike for my wife. Now what I am looking for is some help or being pointed in the right direction on mods.
Things I need some guidance with.
Raptor 660 petcock were to get this? what model year?
best forward controls for the money? and what is involved with moving the brake and gear lever?
Gas tank options?? my tank is dented and had a broken gas cap.

does eldelbrock make a carb that will work on this bike?

I have many more ? but I have asked enough for now thanks...

A biker shouldn’t be defined by the motorcycle he/she rides, but by the passion they have for it.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice..lol
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: "I need Project help" can you lend a
Reply #1 - 03/13/10 at 20:45:56

metricman wrote on 03/13/10 at 20:31:35:
I finally got my new project ls650 running today and it ran for a few min and backfired a popped some when a hit the throttle. {sputtering} like the carb is gummed up, [Note] this bike has been sitting for a few years and out doors by the look of it, but it is a low mileage for a 97 bike, under 7k
and only cost me $270 and believe me, you get what you pay for!! [end note]
I restarted the bike and It keep running worse and shutting off like it was starving for gas, and then it started leaking gas out of the air box!!! pet thingy thing I guess, well the good thing is, I know it runs and the other good thing is I can proceed with my project bike for my wife. Now what I am looking for is some help or being pointed in the right direction on mods.
Things I need some guidance with.
Raptor 660 petcock were to get this? what model year?
best forward controls for the money? and what is involved with moving the brake and gear lever?
Gas tank options?? my tank is dented and had a broken gas cap.

does eldelbrock make a carb that will work on this bike?

I have many more ? but I have asked enough for now thanks...

To get a bike that will run for $270 is a deal.  Wink
I am short on time so will only adddress the carb for now; yes, and edelbrock quicksilver will work with the correct needle and and throttle cable made for the job.  I  have an Edelbrock on mine now and  have used them in the past several times.
Drop me a PM in you want details...by the way, they work great on the Savage.

« Last Edit: 03/16/10 at 05:03:53 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: "I need Project help" can you lend a han
Reply #2 - 03/13/10 at 21:22:36

For forward controls contact ED L, a member of this site. He makes a very fine set of aluminum forward controls and they are a lot less money than other sources. Check out this thread for details. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1202177312

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/13/10 at 21:38:01

Clean your carb, see the tech section for good instructions.

The over flow most likely caused by sticking float valve.

Petcock in prime for now, but turn it off immediately when off.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/13/10 at 22:43:17

This is the Raptor petcock part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?SearchString=5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 03/14/10 at 00:45:28

does it have to be that year or will any raptor 660 petcock do?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/14/10 at 00:51:10

Nope,.. any year Raptor 660...  it's just that, if the dealer insists on a year,..
...saying that one, will work.. Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/14/10 at 07:16:00

For a bit more on "forward controls"

If you go w/ Ed L's kit in the thread link above, the extention plates in the picture moves the existing footpeg shift & brake pedal  assemblys ahead 4 inches. The only modification that you mite have to make is extending the wiring that operates the kickstand saftey switch,.....(only on the later model s-40's I believe)

If you chose to go another way, as some of us did, that is leaving the kickstand in the original location, you would be required to make a new shift pedal shaft, and a new footpeg mount, which would require technical welding and machine shop work.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
metricman
YaBB Newbies

Be your own man

Reply #8 - 03/14/10 at 12:48:57

Man you guys are great!!! I hope to contribute back with what i learn.
I am pretty skilled  whit a wrench, and I also weld a little, I have a wire feed  mig welder. this bike seems to me to be the most straight forward machine out there, when it comes to simplicity, an awesome platform to use your imagination on.

If I have a list of goals
the first is the fuel system. fixing the carb or replacing it all together.
same with my gas tank, it need a gas cap and a new onst cost $70 and my tank still has rust build up on the inside, and a few good dents. replacing the tank may be my best option. I saw a few different tanks on the savage, and the sporter tank looks cool, I also think I saw a vulcan tank on one.

next will be the forward contros, my left foot peg is broken so time for forward controls, my wife is 5ft 9in around a 140 lbs her legs a long so she will need it.

Seat options??? I could have mine recovered pretty cheap, but I like the look of a 1 piece seat, who makes that seat and whats the challenge in making it fit??

Thanks for all your response's and info, As we say in the south, ya'll have been most kind Shocked

A biker shouldn’t be defined by the motorcycle he/she rides, but by the passion they have for it.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice..lol
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 03/14/10 at 12:50:28

Serowbot wrote on 03/14/10 at 00:51:10:
Nope,.. any year Raptor 660...  it's just that, if the dealer insists on a year,..
...saying that one, will work.. Wink

cool theres a few on ebay so im gonna make them an offer

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 03/14/10 at 21:02:22

I posted this in "vendor reviews" yesterday:
Went to ronayers.com to buy the Raptor petcock that fits our bikes.  Wasted way too much time trying to open an account because it wouldn't accept my phone number.  Finally gave up and googled discount Yamaha parts.  I bought it at CheapCycle Parts.com.  The price was slightly higher but the shipping was less so I got it for $22.39 in ten days.

IP Logged
metricman
YaBB Newbies

Be your own man

Reply #11 - 03/15/10 at 18:56:46

thanks for the tip.
My whole deal is,  I like cheap simple clean mods, that put character in to the bike. nothing bugs me more than a harley guy with his $20k harley bolting on another 10k in chrome, wooop te doooo. seen 1 seen them all. I am after the old retro bobber clean look.

something like this...

this is a great example of less is more.

I also like the fact it has no front brake, real chopper style. simple.

I don't know about you but i rarely use my front brake anyhow.
I also fell that most beginner accidents happen due to over braking on the front. my 2 cents, please forgive my excess ramblings.

the bike pictured looks to have a Sportster tank, I like it a lot.

I like simple things that work, and work well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 03/15/10 at 19:21:19

I don't know about you but i rarely use my front brake anyhow.

I use mine every time, unless Im on a loose or slick road.I could get by w/o the rear, but it would force me to have less fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/16/10 at 05:17:59

Good to  have you here man.  We think alike...simple and functional is the goal

If you need a JETSET, or replacement carb (stock or performance) then PM me for details.

This is my '96,
  REX

He has a few things changed ...     Wink   Grin   Cool

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 03/16/10 at 05:28:54

metricman wrote on 03/15/10 at 18:56:46:
nothing bugs me more than a harley guy with his $20k harley bolting on another 10k in chrome, wooop te doooo. seen 1 seen them all.

I have to agree, only HD would call a brand new bike straight off the assembly line, a classic. Or a bone stock one a custom. Its ridiculous. You want a custom bike? You do what we are doing, you customize it yourself and that don't mean thousands of dollars in bolt on kits that everyone else has. You want a classic, you buy a classic, which means an early year bike.  

Sorry, you triggered one of my pet peeves.  Embarrassed

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:30:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "I need Project help" can you lend a han

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.