Send Topic Print
windshields? (Read 358 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: windshields?
Reply #15 - 03/12/10 at 16:11:34

Talking about windshields I just ordered lowers for my s40 from Rifle windshield company,They didn't have them listed for S40 but for S50,I called and To ask if the S50 would work and they had them for the S40 just didn't have them listed on the internet page,I have them on my Suzuki 1500 and like them they keep more air off your body and legs. Not cheap $100 but the windshield cost me $300 from them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #16 - 03/12/10 at 18:29:03

Tanker2Biker wrote on 03/12/10 at 06:50:31:
I just put  a Plexistar II on mine yesterday afternoon.  It went on easy enough, about 15-20 min to mount, but I think I am going to need to either raise it or change the angle.  Right now it does a great job of keeping the wind off my chest, but it now it seems like there is "wind hammer" banging on my forehead, just below my helmet.  That's the results from the first day of riding, I'll try some adjustments this weekend and let you know how it comes out.

OK, I got home and raised it, and tilted it back some.  I took it out for a ride, and it is much better on my head, but now there is a 6" high gap over the headlight, 5" forward of the handlebars.  Seems like it will let a LOT of cold air through there in bad weather.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/13/10 at 01:34:09

Strap a tool bag across it in cold weather???

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #18 - 03/13/10 at 08:32:55

Tanker2Biker wrote on 03/12/10 at 18:29:03:
... but now there is a 6" high gap over the headlight, 5" forward of the handlebars.  Seems like it will let a LOT of cold air through there in bad weather....

That gap is supposed to be for your headlight.  You obviously need to mount a 7" headlight in that gap.  Not that difficult.  Get a bottom mount 7" Harley headlight, measure where the bottom mount should go, make a bracket to fit from there to the stock headlight mount.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 03/13/10 at 09:06:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/13/10 at 01:34:09:
Strap a tool bag across it in cold weather???

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 03/13/10 at 20:01:13

Anybody ever try making a windshield out of 1/8" Lexan plastic ? What would be so hard about that,....mount it w/ some alumunum or stainless stock. Lexan ain't cheap, but you can cut it,  bend it, drill it, it won't break, or even crack.
I gotta give that some thought. I'm outta projects,....can ya tell ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 03/13/10 at 20:10:24

Too thin, gofor 3/16" or 1/4"

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 03/14/10 at 08:55:50

Well, thats what I thought about a year ago when I went to the glass shop to get 1/4" plexiglass 2' x 4' for a windshield on my new Kawasaki Mule.
He talked me into the 1/8" Lexan instead because of the much better workability and durability. But I questioned the 1/8"....almost flat surface going down the hiway @ 70 mph, (on trailer of course Shocked) and he said it would be plenty heavy enough, especially because it won't crack etc etc.
Well, he was right. It is tough stuff. I think the 1/8" would be perfect for forming a curvature by bolting it to a radiused pc of 3/16 x 1 1/2 alumunum FM toward the bottom, which would also be used for mounting.

Hey,....I'm just thinking out loud Roll Eyes

verslagen1 wrote on 03/13/10 at 20:10:24:
Too thin, gofor 3/16" or 1/4"

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 03/14/10 at 10:36:35

Well, I thinking I got 3 different windshields ranging in size from the nation flyshield to mephis demon.  None of them are 1/8"  These guys have been in business for a long time.  Seen alot more then Joe Blow at the glass shop.  Might be ok to tool about in a kawamule, but a rock strike at 70?

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #24 - 03/14/10 at 13:38:01

Versl,
I just micro-metered the Spitfire on my bike below, and it is exactly .125  I believe they are Lexan material. True, it isn't a large shield,  but I sure wouldn't underestimate the strength and impact resistence of 1/8" Lexan.
Seriously, the more I talk about this, the more it just may be a "next project" My wife just hates my "projects" Undecided

Rich
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 03/14/10 at 14:14:04

Ok, dug out the caliper and measured them...
the sport shield is .130"
the flyshield is .150"
and the demon is .183"

All of them have a curved shape which adds quite a bit of strength to them.
Somewhere, one of the mfg's has a video of them hitting a shield with a bat.  Sort of take out the mail box in reverse.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 03/14/10 at 14:44:58

Aw, those must be metric sizes, I only know .125 .187 & .250 Wink

Curving horizontal, no problem, but that would leave it a straight line vertically,....or I wouldn't know how to curve it both ways. I can't really visulize how that would look. Maybe a new trend ? Maybe I'll see what the guy at the glass shop says. He said there ain't nothin they ain't put a windshield on Embarrassed

Then again, maybe I could just add a pc on the bottom where it sets 5" above the headlite.

Rich
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #27 - 03/15/10 at 08:30:07

Routy wrote on 03/13/10 at 20:01:13:
Anybody ever try making a windshield out of 1/8" Lexan plastic ? What would be so hard about that,....mount it w/ some alumunum or stainless stock. Lexan ain't cheap, but you can cut it,  bend it, drill it, it won't break, or even crack.
I gotta give that some thought. I'm outta projects,....can ya tell ?  

I told ya you'd be looking for another project! Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › windshields?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.