Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it me or is it time 4 Maintenance??? (Read 156 times)
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Is it me or is it time 4 Maintenance???
03/10/10 at 13:43:57

Hello all. I started noticing something wierd going on with my S40. It seems like its harder than normal to shift into gears aside from the usual false nuetral that is in between 4 & 5. I thought it might be because I hadnt changed the oil all season so I put in some fresh Synthetic 10W-40 and it still is hard to shift from 1,2 2,3 and 4,5 downshifting is fine but upshifting is getting a bit tricky. Any idea on what to check or replace???? Thanks n advance as always Savyriders Shocked) Exclaim

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Is it me or is it time 4 Maintenance???
Reply #1 - 03/10/10 at 14:17:17

You might need to adjust you clutch cable.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/10/10 at 15:21:22

You've been stomping on the gear change lever haven't you?!

You might need to relocate the lever on the spline.
then readjust the lever height to suit.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #3 - 03/10/10 at 18:27:20

@bill67 I will check the clutch cable thanks.
@Verslagen no sir I havent stomped the shifter at all I am really gentle when shifting skyblue but none the less she is still stubborn about upshifting so I was wondering why that is. But thanks for the feedback nonetheless. I will start with the clutch cable & pray that is the issue otherwise I will be lost like luggage at an airport.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 03/10/10 at 18:27:58

Check your shifter rod that goes between the pedal and tranny. They bend real easy under multiple stomps. If it is bent replace it, don't try to straighten it cause it will break.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/10/10 at 20:15:25

I've learned to hold upward pressure until I dump the clutch, and it goes in every time. Try it, you'll like it !

Others say don't use the clutch....just let up on the throttle a touch and it'll pop right in.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #6 - 03/11/10 at 07:28:10

Thanks guys at least now I have somewhere to start troubleshooting from. I will try the upward foot pressure and get back to enjoying the open road on my baby again. Happy riding All!!!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/11/10 at 08:23:21

If it wont shift easily w/o the clutch, it needs looked at. That little transmission is generally a smooth operator, w/ just a couple of "sometimes" hassles. A regular problem w/ shifting indicates a need for maintenance, to me. It oughta shift from 2nd to 5th, w/ no clutch, w/ shift times between gears so short as to almost sound like the engine just missed a beat. Time the toes comin up (or put a little preload on the shifter) to the throttle snapping off & it either shifts or something is wrong. All you gotta do is unload the gears in the tranny, no need to roll the throttle to idle position.

* I really havent a clue how I make the shifts when Im playing, I know I make a quick move with the ankle, but is it all timing? Is it some preload & then as soon as I feel it move, I apply the quick ankle move? IDK, but it works & works very well, except for the 2 to 1 or 1 to 2 shift. Too many RPM difference in there. It Can be done, but its hard to get it down to the point of being sure its not gonna jerk the bikes guts around, so I quit trying. I try to not wind up in the ditch because of a too tight to navigate learning curve.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
juang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 03/12/10 at 07:48:56

I'm having a similar problem.  I replaced the clutch cable already and have been playing with it, but still nothing. (i was going to do that anyways, but since this problem started, I decided to do it now)

With my bike it is a weird sound that wasn't there before.  Every time I go from 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4 I get this sound as is something was "fitting into place" It always had that noise, but now it is just a little lauder.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the foot lever since it happens in all gear shifts and not just in one in particular.  Any ideas?

Las Motos
El Rock n Roll
Cuero Tachuelas
Y Alcohol

Keep me from getting a real job by reading my blog and clicking the ads on it...please

http://thisstrangelongjourney.blogspot.com/
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:23:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is it me or is it time 4 Maintenance???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.