Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Here....have some questions (Read 267 times)
SavageNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Here....have some questions
03/10/10 at 07:02:49

hello everyone.

I just got a savage 1998 with 6500 miles.......I am in NY

Need help what is the best oil for this bike?  Synthetic the best?
When is the interval for tune up and maintenance?
Where can i find some nice saddle bags that fit just plain black? any pics?
Anyone has gel seats?  or anything that would make riding more comfortable?
Have a rip in my current seat no too bad but maybe put marine vinyl is this good?

Thanks to all for reading......

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: New Here....have some questions
Reply #1 - 03/10/10 at 07:15:59

Welcome aboard!  Marine-grade vinyl works well for me as a replacement seat cover.

Since you're new, you don't know it, but you just opened the Pandora's box when you asked about the "best oil for this bike."  Seems like half the members have strong (and opposing) opinions about the right oil.  Main advice is not to use regular car oil because it makes the wet clutch in the Savage/S40 slip.  Use motorcycle oil, or at least an oil that does not contain ZDDP.  

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 03/10/10 at 07:24:23

Welcome to you!  
There is alot of information on this site pertaining to all of these questions.  My suggestion is to use the "Search" function (tab at top), fill in some search words, and be sure to change the drop-down menu on the "This post was made in the last..." section to Month/Year/All posts.  You'll find all kinds of stuff.  Oh, Ebay is a good source for our bikes, but there are a few vendors that we avoid.  Stick around here, you'll learn tons!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 03/10/10 at 08:01:23

I don't really want to get into a contest of directed urination, but consensus is that you want the oil that DOES contain ZDDP. The ZDDP is the stuff that helps protect cam lobes and rocker arms. You want to avoid oils with labels like "energy conserving" on them. Synthetic oils are probably best, but they are also pricier. You will find "discussions" on the best oil on, probably, every automotive and motorcycle forum on the Internet.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SavageNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/10/10 at 08:07:13

I am undecided between Mobil synthetic and Rotella Syn 5w40.

What oil weight is best for NY since we got summer and winter?

thanks for posting appreciate it

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 03/10/10 at 08:17:28

babyhog wrote on 03/10/10 at 07:24:23:
Welcome to you!  
There is alot of information on this site pertaining to all of these questions.  My suggestion is to use the "Search" function (tab at top), fill in some search words, and be sure to change the drop-down menu on the "This post was made in the last..." section to Month/Year/All posts.  You'll find all kinds of stuff.  Oh, Ebay is a good source for our bikes, but there are a few vendors that we avoid.  Stick around here, you'll learn tons!

yer just put 'oil' in a search

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/10/10 at 08:18:31

But you're not gonna ride in freezing cold, right? 5-40, 10-40, 10-50 all will do. It's a low rpm machine, no need to go really fancy on synthetic. No need for special additives either, 'cause of the wet clutch.
Now, whether you go for motorcycle oil, or you substitute with a car oil, I don't want to get into that. I tried both worlds in 3 different bikes, never had a problem. Search the forum for various experiences with different oils and make a decision. Welcome to the gang.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 03/10/10 at 08:19:50

My apologies.  I got the ZDDP thing wrong:  You DO want that additive.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
SavageNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/10/10 at 08:22:51

I plan on using a synthetic motorcycle oil mobil or Rotella Syn.....

plan on riding 30F or above.  But my bike is outside parked and i warm it up only when it is cold like 15F i don't ride it during that weather.

Which weight oil applies?

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 03/10/10 at 08:23:38

if you type ZDDP into google, you get get recommendations for classic car oils?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 03/10/10 at 08:44:34

If you don't have the owner's manual, it can be downloaded from somewhere on the forum. They recommend 10W-40 oil, with the JASO MA spec. That will cover any temperature range likely in your area.

You are not likely to find the amount of ZDDP listed on the container for any oil. The reason ZDDP comes up in classic cars is because it is the additive which protects engines which do not have roller cam followers. ZDDP contains phosphorous; phosphorous is claimed to cause damage to catalytic converters; so ZDDP is being reduced in automotive oils. If the oil says something about "energy conserving" it will have reduced ZDDP and will also have "friction modifiers" which MAY cause clutch slipping on wet clutches - the vast majority of motorcycle clutches.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #11 - 03/10/10 at 09:00:09

rather than buy a special/motorcycle-oil with extra ZDDP,  

it's probably cheaper to use a car-oil like Rotella T and you can add high-ZDDP additive, this seems like a good price for the stuff that I got, $12.99+shipping/bottle for 12quarts-oil - Red Line Engine Break-In Oil Additive (ZDDP)

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1678

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/10/10 at 09:05:30

SavageNY wrote on 03/10/10 at 08:07:13:
I am undecided between Mobil synthetic and Rotella Syn 5w40.

What oil weight is best for NY since we got summer and winter?

thanks for posting appreciate it

Mobil Vtwin 10-40 or RotSyn 5-40 for most of the year.
If you do a lot of superslab in the summer (+90°F) you'll want 20-50
And even then I literally boil this stuff off.

WWW   IP Logged
metricman
YaBB Newbies

Be your own man

Reply #13 - 03/10/10 at 15:32:25

This will work the best in your bike, I would take the advice of the engineers that created the engine over anyones opinion.
this is not a exotic engine stick with the basics. I have always used the factory recommended oil for all my bikes.
   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-OIL-CHANGE-KIT-LS-650-SAVAGE-95-96-97-9...

A biker shouldn’t be defined by the motorcycle he/she rides, but by the passion they have for it.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice..lol
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #14 - 03/10/10 at 21:07:39

You can not go wrong with mobil one.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:20:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Here....have some questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.