Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Starter Question (Read 79 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Another Starter Question
03/10/10 at 05:31:05

When I start my bike, see signature currently about 9700 miles, I get a funny sound from the starter.  I am not sure exaclty how to describe it, but here goes.

The bike starts fine, just a couple of seconds and it is ready to go.  But it sounds like an extra loud clicking noise and something winding down coming from the starter.  

I know the 80's bikes did not have some sort of anti reverse thing on the starter and am wondering if that is the problem.  The bike starts and runs fine, the noise only lasts a couple of seconds, but I would like to figure this out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Another Starter Question
Reply #1 - 03/10/10 at 11:36:35

Clicking could be a couple of things, the one way clutch making a bit of noise.  

Or worse, some bit of metal bouncing around in there.  I've heard some complain about loosing teeth off the starter gear.

I'd open it up and have a look.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Another Starter Question
Reply #2 - 03/10/10 at 12:34:39

I have taken the starter off.  I expected some sort of bendix, there was nothing.  The starter felt fine, no wobble, no broken teeth, etc.  Inside the case I did find one of the teeth on the starter gear (maybe) that had a little bit knocked off.  I put it back together and it sounded a little better.

When I replaced the chain and tensioner I fished around in the bottom of the case with a magnet (ala Oldfeller) and found nothing, no gunk, sludge, nothing.  The engine was making this noise before I did this work, in fact, that was the biggest reason I opened her up.  I figured it was the chain or tensioner.

I looked on the microfiche and just could not figure out which gear was which, I tried starter and starter clutch, but was not smart enough to figure out where they went together.  

Help me oh Savage gurus!  Should I be getting another gear, will it hurt anything to keep riding?  

Thanks!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:34:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Starter Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.