Send Topic Print
big crank battery (Read 341 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
big crank battery
03/09/10 at 09:18:49

I just ordered a big crank battery .Does it come with  bolts for the terminals or was I supposed to save the ones from my old battery ? Thanks.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: big crank battery
Reply #1 - 03/09/10 at 09:20:31

They were included with mine.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 03/09/10 at 09:23:45

Thanks,I wasn't sure.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/10/10 at 06:53:11

And now, keep that new battery charged ! If you ride longer trips often, it won't need anything. If not, and you can't keep it on a float charger, at least float charge it once a month and it will last forever (nearly)

The problem is, most batteries sit 1/2 charged, and the normal person never knows it because it still starts the Bike fine. Then all of a sudden one day it doesn't. Then panick sets in,....why ?!! And its all because of the above.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/10/10 at 07:26:10

If you want to charge a battery use a battery charger.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/10/10 at 13:03:20

The only thing wrong w/ a battery charger is none of them hold a float voltage. Holding float voltage 13.4 volts as much of the time as possible is the secret to long battery life, 8 - 10 yrs is not uncommon anymore.
And any decent 1.5 amp float charger will charge a stone dead bike battery in 12 hrs and less.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 03/10/10 at 13:32:36

Thanks Routy. I bought the deltran battery tender junior ,but I don't know how many amps it is .It was recommended by alot of people on this site.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/10/10 at 14:02:05

Your Tender Jr is .75 amp output. It will fully charge most any stone dead motorcycle battery in 20 hrs or less. It is more of a maintainer charger when used on automotive batteries. But it will do a perfect job on your bike. Don't be afraid to leave it connected 100% of the time if its practical, but otherwise once a month for a day or 2 would be fine.

Deltran Tenders are quality chargers,....I have a Tender Plus 1.5 charger. The Shumacher 1.5 is a quality charger too, $20 @WM. I have 2 of those also. And I also have 2 HF float chargers $8 (5 on sale) They seem to work well also, but are not well regulated, and some times will get a little high on voltage. (ok in cold weather)

rl153 wrote on 03/10/10 at 13:32:36:
Thanks Routy. I bought the deltran battery tender junior ,but I don't know how many amps it is .It was recommended by alot of people on this site.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 03/10/10 at 14:11:53

Routy wrote on 03/10/10 at 13:03:20:
The only thing wrong w/ a battery charger is none of them hold a float voltage. Holding float voltage 13.4 volts as much of the time as possible is the secret to long battery life, 8 - 10 yrs is not uncommon anymore.
And any decent 1.5 amp float charger will charge a stone dead bike battery in 12 hrs and less.

You want to charge a battery then take the charger off if you want the battery to last.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Amos
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/10/10 at 14:42:00

I forgot and left my 2 amp float charger on my battery for two days and it boiled almost all the water out.  I refilled it with distilled water and put it on the charger on my kitchen counter (so I wouldn't forget it) and charged it for two days.  It bubbled away while charging the second time but didn't lose any water so I put it back in the bike and it works fine ... for now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/10/10 at 15:16:21

If your float charger boiled it, your float charger isnt working right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/10/10 at 16:05:24

Justin is right, only a defective maintainer/float charger will boil water out.
If you have a digital voltmeter, its really simple,...a float charger like the BattTender, Batt Minder, Schumacher  etc are 2 stage chargers,...they will charge at 13.8 to 14.5 on the first stage (red or yellow light mode, then they will drop to float mode (green light) and you should never see more than 13.4-13.5 volts. They will not boil any water at 13.5 volts, ....except in very hot weather, 13.2 is better. If you are unsure, check the voltage. Its the voltage that boils water not amperage.

You are probably talking about an old trickle charger, which charges at 13.8-14.2 volts, and does not drop in voltage. And even at less than 1 amp they will boil water out bigtime once the battery gets fully charged.
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/10/10 at 15:16:21:
If your float charger boiled it, your float charger isnt working right.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 03/10/10 at 16:37:12

That float charger sounds like a real cool handy thing to have around,Thats why you don't leave a charger on.But then kids must play.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Amos
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #13 - 03/10/10 at 18:40:13

Quote:
You are probably talking about an old trickle charger, which charges at 13.8-14.2 volts, and does not drop in voltage. And even at less than 1 amp they will boil water out bigtime once the battery gets fully charged.

I'll have to have a look, I think I have only had it for a couple of decades so maybe it isn't a float charger at all.  

IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #14 - 03/11/10 at 16:02:11

I bought a good sealed battery a couple of years ago.  However, I did not keep it on a charger like I should have and now I can put it on my regular charger at 2amps and it goes until the green fully charged light comes on.  When I put it back on the bike it only give me a couple of cranks before it wears out.  Can it be saved or am I buying a new battery?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:36:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › big crank battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.