Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake Pedal Backstop Adjustment (Read 91 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Brake Pedal Backstop Adjustment
03/06/10 at 13:39:47

Is there a right and wrong way to have the brake pedal "off position" adjusted ? (or backstop adjustment)
In other words, to operate the brake, should you have to tilt your foot back (or pick it up) to slide it over on the pedal, or should the pedal be adjusted so that your foot is on top of it all the time, and all you have to do is tilt foot forward ?
I don't remember how it was when I took it apart to install the forward control. As it is now I have to tilt my foot back and slide it over onto the pedal.
If there is no standard, I can ride and trial and error it I suppose.

Thanks for any serious comments. Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Brake Pedal Backstop Adjustment
Reply #1 - 03/06/10 at 13:43:37

Ive always had mine set so I had to lift my foot, but i got great big honkin feet. Id be concerned about having your foot over top of it all the time. On a long ride or just by chance your foot starts to droop forward you may apply enough brake to light the brake light and then it'd be more difficult for those behind to tell when you are actually braking.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 03/06/10 at 14:27:09

Hey thanks,....for now I'll leave it as is then.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 03/06/10 at 18:21:10

Routy wrote on 03/06/10 at 13:39:47:
Is there a right and wrong way to have the brake pedal "off position" adjusted ? (or backstop adjustment)
In other words, to operate the brake, should you have to tilt your foot back (or pick it up) to slide it over on the pedal, or should the pedal be adjusted so that your foot is on top of it all the time, and all you have to do is tilt foot forward ?
I don't remember how it was when I took it apart to install the forward control. As it is now I have to tilt my foot back and slide it over onto the pedal.
If there is no standard, I can ride and trial and error it I suppose.

Thanks for any serious comments. Smiley

There IS a fairly detailed line-drawing of the rear brake pedal in my FSM (see signature for my bike).

It shows the longitudinal axis of the rear brake pedal to be about parallel with the frame downtube that is adjacent to the pedal.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 03/06/10 at 19:01:39

But on a forward control I believe that angle changes as your foot moves forward.

Rich
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/07/10 at 19:17:54

before you decide on a lever position try a few different pairs of shoes or boots. I find that my normal boots don't fit the brake or shift like my dress boots or shoes do.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 03/07/10 at 20:12:58

Routy wrote on 03/06/10 at 19:01:39:
But on a forward control I believe that angle changes as your foot moves forward.

Oops!  Missed that part..... Embarrassed

Sorry!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Pedal Backstop Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.