YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: petcock repair kit
Reply #30 - 03/11/10 at 21:49:55

As far as I can see, the washer on the plunger side shouldn't do anything except keep the diaphragm from being bulged out.

I ordered a kit, will let you guys know how it goes.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #31 - 03/11/10 at 23:20:48

Question...
okay,..ranty question... Huh

If the purpose of the vacuum petcock is to prevent a stuck float from being able flood the bike while parked... isn't the flood going to instead occur after you get underway?...and wouldn't you rather breakdown in any parking lot, rather than on the road?...
And,.. if the vacuum diaphragm prevents such flooding, but when it fails it, automatically causes it,... is that a gain?...
and on top of that,... the flow is much stronger, and more direct, down the vacuum line, than through the float needle so it makes a worse one...

Now,... in an accident, if the bike ends up on it's left side and the float needle sticks, it will shut off the flow, as long as the engine dies when the bike goes down,... but gas will still leak out of the tank vent and the full float bowl ...
(if the bike falls on the right side, no gas will flow from the petcock anyway)...

So, basically as far as I can see,... it's a non-solution to an unlikely problem, with the side effect of adding cost and complexity, and giving a better way to cause the same problem it is designed to prevent in the case of failure... which it has a known propensity to do...

Huh?... Huh...

PS,... and on top of all that, it's fugly, and makes the tank hard to get off... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 03/12/10 at 07:52:27

If the purpose of the vacuum petcock is to prevent a stuck float from being able flood the bike while parked and unattended ... isn't the flood going to instead occur after you get underway? crankcase flooding, not possible. flooding intake, noticeable. bike pissin' on shoes, priceless ...and wouldn't you rather breakdown in any parking lot, rather than on the road? No ...
And,.. if the vacuum diaphragm prevents such flooding, but when it fails it, automatically causes it,... is that a gain?... Is it negative that everytime you get off your bike you forget to turn off the petcock causing the float valve to fail someday?
and on top of that,... the flow is much stronger, and more direct, down the vacuum line, than through the float needle so it makes a worse one... and on top of that your bike is so ill maintained that the valve clatter and due to low oil level the bearings sieze?

Now,... in an accident, if the bike ends up on it's left side and the float needle sticks, it will shut off the flow, as long as the engine dies when the bike goes down, I never crash with a full tank of gas, bad form you know ... but gas will still leak out of the tank vent and the full float bowl ... only until the tank is half emptied
(if the bike falls on the right side, no gas will flow from the petcock anyway)...

So, basically as far as I can see,... it's a non-solution to an unlikely problem, with the side effect of adding cost and complexity, and giving a better way to cause the same problem it is designed to prevent in the case of failure... which it has a known propensity to do...
But look at all the maylasion rubber tree planters you're keeping employed.  It's recommended that you replace the rubber under your hood every 7 years, does anybody do that?  And yet a rubber diaphragm goes bad and you get all bent out of shape.  I get an '02 with all original rubber.  That petcock works great on the leaky '96.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 03/12/10 at 07:56:09

BTW, found an easy way to check for leaky petcock.
HF sells a vacuum assisted brake bleeder for about $20
Hook that puppy to the vac port of the petcock and pump up 5 lbs of vacuum.  If it holds steady, no leaky.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #34 - 03/12/10 at 08:01:15

no rude comments for the heathens -

but old school might be to use a human vacuum and if the hose sticks to your tongue nothing wrong there as well

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 03/12/10 at 08:01:59

Or, is it actually just another piece of EPA hardware being masqueraded as a convenience feature?...    Huh

I'll stop now... Lips Sealed

Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #36 - 03/12/10 at 08:14:55

Preventive maintenance is to use Sea Foam in you gas every couple months to keep everything lubed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #37 - 03/12/10 at 08:53:01

Hey Bill, did you ever stop to think that when you add the Sea Foam you no longer have "100% gas"? You have added the dreaded alcohol, which is part of Sea Foam.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 03/12/10 at 08:57:33

Holy Cow

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #39 - 03/12/10 at 09:35:17

Hmmmmmm.... does the Seaform label say anything about if it changes emissions while in use?

I expect that once it cleans the system the emission would be lower.  Just wonder during use.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 03/12/10 at 09:38:28

bill67 wrote on 03/12/10 at 08:14:55:
 Preventive maintenance is to use Sea Foam in you gas every couple months to keep everything lubed.

One thing I will note, every petcock I've openned up has a coating of silt on the inside.  How it gets in there I can't fathom.  How seafoam will clean it out, I can't comprehend.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 03/12/10 at 09:48:43

Put 1 ounce of Sea Foam in you oil it will clean the engine and it will run better.If you have a car put 1/2 can in you will be surprised how much better it will perform.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #42 - 03/12/10 at 12:45:12

I like to use Marvel's Mystery Oil,... just 'cause the name is so cool... Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 03/15/10 at 21:06:43

Got the 18-4344 kits in from Z1, diaphragm fits perfectly.
Comes with a gasket and 2 o-rings
1 o-ring fits the lever, the other is too big for anything.
I'll have it in the bike tomorrow.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 03/15/10 at 22:58:37

Way to go Versy!.... and after all my raggin',... you went and figured it out anyway...
Grin....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:21:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock repair kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.