Just bought a 07 SV650 (Read 144 times)
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just bought a 07 SV650
03/05/10 at 16:02:12

Hi Guys,

There is a local used bike dealer that had 3 of the four bikes I was looking at for the upcoming season. Turning 36 on Monday, I think I am due a nice present for the second half of my life! The three I was looking at (cause I'll never buy new again), were the SV650, Ninja 650r, S50, and ER-6N. They had a 07 sv650 just under 3k(miles), 06 S50 at 1300(m!), 07 Ninja 650r at 13k (someone loved that ride), and no ER, which who cares, it's a ninja without plastic. The price point was about the same for all of them, and they were all well taken care of...

Sitting on the 06 s50, of course, felt very natural. Afterall, I spent 2 seasons on the savage. The bike was beautiful. The owner obviously spent more time polishing the bike than riding it. It looked exactly like the bike I didn't buy starting out when I opted for the savage, no regrets. I thought it was the one I would choose going in...

In short, I sat on all three for a long time. The ninja's seat was too broad, so no dice, the s50 felt natural, too much so, the sv actually fit like a glove, and I was surprised to feel so comfortable on it since I dismissed it as a first bike two years ago. I don't regret that, I love my s40. I am keeping it.

So, I own a sv650...Sorry for the long description. I expect it to take me a few months to connect with her. I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to expect or how to handle the first few months. It might seem like a stupid question, but going into the s40 blind, it seems a little expertise could have made the flatfoot to bike changes easier, and safer!

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Re: Just bought a 07 SV650
Reply #1 - 03/05/10 at 22:53:10

not much useful info here but my boss just got that bike for his first and i accidentally ditched him riding my savage cause he's kind of scared of that bike or something. i sat on his for a while and all i've ever ridden is a ls650 so it felt really strange. i didnt really even want to ride it. sorry nothin helpful here just bored late at night in el paso.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/06/10 at 04:23:16

I have not been on a SV650 so cannot speak from personal experience, but all I have heard about it is all good.  It seems to be an excellent all-around bike, with superb handling, very good brakes and great power.

Congrat's, I think you will like it more every day.

IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #3 - 03/06/10 at 04:39:37

I haven't ridden an SV650, but I used to own a DL650 which (I believe) is the same engine. Probably the best all-around bike I have ever owned. Only negative (for me) was seat too high. Never gave me any trouble and was F-A-S-T. As much as I like the LS650, I wish I still had that V-Strom!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/06/10 at 05:26:14

Plus it looks cool! Good luck with the new bike.

IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/06/10 at 07:47:46

Thanks guys. I am a little hesitant about it too, but I think that's healthy. It's going to be a month or so before I can really take it out for a proper ride. It's a beautiful bike, but I still think the s50 and ls looks better.  Grin

I wish I was in El Paso RTC. It's warming up but still not very comfortable in Columbus.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/06/10 at 08:01:17

I have just owned an SV650 and other than the crotch rocket seating position it is an excellent motorcycle.

The engine is the BEST mid sized bike engine, period.  It has like 2 Korean copies out now, which is ironic since it was the Japanese "improved" copy version of a Ducati engine, so you got copies of the copy going on right now.

Aprillia Shiver (first Italian copy version) makes a clean 80 HP and the original SV type 1 made a clean 65 HP.

Race tweaked SV motors hit over 90 HP, so there is a lot more there to be had.

This new copy makes a stated 92 HP.....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/35/2297/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Aprilia-Dorsodu...

People keep asking Suzuki for another 100cc in the engine since aftermarket kits have been doing that and more for quite some time now.

==========

Please note, we all still have our Savages .... even though we owned SVs for a bit.  

Proof that power isn't everything

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/06/10 at 13:14:33

A SV650s was my previous bike before buying my 96 savage.
Honestly the SV is the best usable street sports bike - great design and ergonomics.
My tips would be to use your knees to squeeze the gas tank while cornering, use your core, your waist and hips to corner. In the SV I could turn the bike without using my hands.
Very fast bike compared to the Savage, 0-60mph in mid 3 second range,

Lots of usable torque in the city driving range, not like a 600cc inline 4 rocket, you dont need to rev the crap out of your SV.

Start slow and dont push the bike, and she will teach you tons. Lots of weekend racers use the SV for its amazing cornering abilities, get some knee pucks and you will find out why.

enjoy
nik

IP Logged
David Levi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/07/10 at 15:30:12

Oldfeller, and Nik, thanks for the posts. I don't know what to say about the 90hp, I don't think I'll need that, hopefully ever, if I do I'm in deep trouble. The Aprillia looks alright, but with the seat height I would look like I a "person of real short stature" on a Versus. I have found 31.5 is my limit. I'll try the 0-60 range in August, may-be...It might sound funny but I have no intention of pushing this thing anytime soon, it feels *much* different form the savage. Thanks for the link, that is a tall woman.

I appreciate the gas tank squeeze advice. I don't plan to use knee pucks unless intending to head into twists, may-be August  Smiley. I am looking forward to getting to know her like the s40.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:34:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought a 07 SV650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.