Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decompression Lever? (Read 248 times)
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Decompression Lever?
03/04/10 at 00:35:32

I'm currently rebuilding an S40 from parts, and I noticed that the decompression solenoid is missing. I have cables and levers from other singles in my shop and was thinking about making a manual decompression lever. This is a really modified bike and I don't mind doing something different with it, I'm just wondering if there would be any problems with a manual version.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Decompression Lever?
Reply #1 - 03/04/10 at 01:07:46

I dont see a problem with it. Its solenoid actuated, so, if an electromagnet can pull the cable to engage it,no reason why you cant. Its only engaged for a very short time,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/04/10 at 05:53:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/10 at 01:07:46:
Its only engaged for a very short time,

engaged untill start button is released

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 03/04/10 at 06:15:51

According to the test procedure in the Clymer manual, it isn't quite that simple. When the starter button is pressed, the decompression solenoid is activated and the engine is decompressed. After 0.2 seconds, the starter is engaged and the engine begins to turn. After 0.7 seconds the decompression solenoid is released. So the engine turns for 0.5 seconds "decompressed." What this does is make sure the starter doesn't have to try to turn the engine on the compression stroke as it begins the start. After the delay the engine will have gotten up to cranking speed and the starter, with the aid of the flywheel, will be able to turn the engine through compression. If you do it manually, you would operate your manual decompression control, operate the starter, then release the decompressor while continuing to operate the starter until the engine fires.

By the way, the engine will not run with the decompressor engaged. Thus, the manual decompressor can operate as an engine shut off. There are a heck of a lot of mopeds that use a decompressor instead of an ignition switch. Maybe Toyota should adopt that idea to prevent unintended runaway.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/04/10 at 06:24:36

+1 charon. Only for less than a second.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/04/10 at 08:08:06

charon is correct.

I'm assuming since you have a S40, that it's a '95 or later model.

basically, the method will be to push the lever, engage the starter then release the lever almost immediately.  Depending on where your motor stops when you shut off will dictate if you need to push the lever.

In the '95 or later models, the starter has a torque limiter to prevent kickback damage on shutoff.  So with this feature, there's less of a chance to damage your engine by not pressing the lever at all on start up.

So the method will be just push the start button.  If it stalls or activates the torque limiter, push the lever then the start button release the lever.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 03/04/10 at 10:17:53

verslagen1 wrote on 03/04/10 at 08:08:06:
charon is correct.

I'm assuming since you have a S40, that it's a '95 or later model.

basically, the method will be to push the lever, engage the starter then release the lever almost immediately.  Depending on where your motor stops when you shut off will dictate if you need to push the lever.

In the '95 or later models, the starter has a torque limiter to prevent kickback damage on shutoff.  So with this feature, there's less of a chance to damage your engine by not pressing the lever at all on start up.

So the method will be just push the start button.  If it stalls or activates the torque limiter, push the lever then the start button release the lever.

There is only one problem with that post. And that is the year they started calling it the S40. I believe it was actually in 05 or so that they switched from Savage to S40. Because I have a 2000 Savage.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/04/10 at 10:55:09

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/04/10 at 10:17:53:
There is only one problem with that post. And that is the year they started calling it the S40. I believe it was actually in 05 or so that they switched from Savage to S40. Because I have a 2000 Savage.

It wasn't meant that all '95 and later are called S40's
Only that since he didn't specify a year that S40's included a feature found on all '95's or latter.

WWW   IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #8 - 03/04/10 at 11:15:30

I used to own a 1981 Suzuki GN400 which is really the precursor to the Savage/S40. It had a manual decompression lever and kick starter (no electric start). I don't see why a manual lever shouldn't work; just be sure to release it quickly.

BTW, if you forgot to activate the decompression lever on the GN400, you would nearly break your ankle trying to start it!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/04/10 at 15:07:04

my bad ssm states:
"the de-comp solenoid turns OFF 0.5 second after the starter motor starts to run and the de-comp lever returns to the normal position."

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/04/10 at 15:24:06

thumperclone wrote on 03/04/10 at 15:07:04:
my bad ssm states:
"the de-comp solenoid turns OFF 0.5 second after the starter motor starts to run and the de-comp lever returns to the normal position."

Like many on here, SSM is written by dyslectics.

should read...

"the de-comp solenoid turns OFF 0.5 second after the starter motor starts to turn and the de-comp lever returns to the normal position."

WWW   IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #11 - 03/04/10 at 15:34:07

[/quote]
Like many on here, SSM is written by dyslectics. [/quote]

I knew a dyslectic, agnostic insomniac.
He lay awake at night wondering if there really was a doG. Smiley

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #12 - 03/05/10 at 00:24:37

Then it's settled! The heavy and henceforth-deemed-unnecessary decompression solenoid shall be replace by a very custom manual decompression lever!

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:31:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompression Lever?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.