Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
drilled out exhaust, backfiring, and fuel mixture (Read 81 times)
djwhite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

drilled out exhaust, backfiring, and fuel mixture
03/01/10 at 07:01:24

When I bought my 2002 Savage, the previous owner had drilled 4 holes about 3/8" in diameter in the baffles of the stock exhaust pipe.  As all Savages do, mine backfires a fair amount.  Before I start taking it apart, I wanted to post a few questions.

The previous owner has drilled out the air mixture screw, so I assume he adjusted the mixture.  It wouldn't surprise me if the mixture is rich, mainly because I have averaged less than 42 mpg (seems very low to me), and there is black soot around the holes in the baffles that the previous owner drilled.

So, I'm thinking about tinkering with the mixture and running it a little leaner to see how it affects the backfiring and fuel economy.  I've thought that even if the previous owner added a spacer mod (which could reduce backfiring), the holes in the baffles could cause it to backfire from the disrupted back flow.  But, from what I understand, even a spacer mod isn't any sort of guarantee of reduced backfiring with this bike.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: drilled out exhaust, backfiring, and fuel mixt
Reply #1 - 03/01/10 at 07:59:24

You may be right,... Too rich can also cause backfires (afterfires)... My afterfires increase when I ride in the mountains, where the air is thinner,... that makes me richer...
Go ahead and try leaning out,... you can always put it back...
Start by checking where you are now... screw it all the way in, and count the number of turns it takes.  Never adjust more than 3 turns out, or you may loose the adjuster screw....

Try increasing your idle speed also,... that can help too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/01/10 at 15:39:16

I'll make a bet the PO removed the white spacer in the carb which can make the mid range run rich.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/01/10 at 16:16:18

I can only tell you this for sure,....  I did a 1/2 spacer mod and it corrected a serious lean condition in the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle range, even beyond my worst expectation. I also drilled the OEM exhaust, just to relieve it a little if nothing else, but neither of these mods changed the deceleration backfire, or the "swoosh" at shutdown at all.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 00:58:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drilled out exhaust, backfiring, and fuel mixture

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.