Send Topic Print
Backfiring (Read 419 times)
h20skier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfiring
02/26/10 at 05:02:51

I think this was mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it. My S40 backfires sometimes when slowing down. I have heard this is normal. I would like to hear other owner's comments concerning this issue.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Backfiring
Reply #1 - 02/26/10 at 05:16:30

They all did it, but some claim to have stopped it, others claim you can't stop it. Mine runs so good after the 1/2 spacer mod, I'm not going to try to stop it, especially because it doesn't bother.....once you learn to control it a bit.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
h20skier
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/26/10 at 05:23:34

What is a spacer mod?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/26/10 at 07:24:31

Does it pop or KERPOW?
And how's the shut down pop?

A decel pop can be a loose header.  Check your header bolts 20 ftlbs when cold, add anti-sieze if you pull them out.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 02/26/10 at 19:21:30

Its a common carburator modification (raises the main jet metering rod) that fixes an intermedieate 1/4 to 1/2 throttle lean fuel condition. There is info on doing this, and several other mods somewhere in this site.

h20skier wrote on 02/26/10 at 05:23:34:
What is a spacer mod?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 02/27/10 at 04:39:26

The "backfire" is actually an "afterfire" since it happens in the exhaust system. It usually happens on deceleration when the throttle is completely closed. Some have reported it on engine shutdown when the ignition switch is turned off, but that hasn't happened to mine. Setting the idle speed slightly higher reduces the deceleration pop. I tried the "white spacer mod" on mine. It had no noticeable effect on the afterfire and none that I could notice on performance, but reduced my fuel mileage considerably. By far the easiest solution is just to learn to live with it. By the way, it happened on my '83 Suzuki Tempter, too, so it might be a carbureted Suzuki characteristic.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 02/27/10 at 10:52:11

There is no need to live with backfiring.  
As mentioned it can be caused by a loose exhaut system which allows air into the exhaust pipe, but can also be caused by the carburetor being set "too lean" in the low throttle range which is controlled by the pilot system.  Sometimes a lean midrange carb setting may also contribute which is controlled by the needle in the slide (throtle valve).

Check to make sure that your exhaust is leak free.

Begin by checking the right side of the carb.   On the right side about mid level is a small brass screw inside a small hole and it has a standard screw driver slot.  If the screw is not visible then you will need to remove the tiny brass dome that covers the hole, and usually it has a small dab of paint on it.  To do so, drill a very small hole in the little brass dome...do it carefully so the drill bit does not go through too far and damage the brass screw inside.  Insert a small metal screw into the drilled hole and turn it enough to securely grab the dome, then pull it out with pliers.  The dome shoud come out.

Check the setting on the brass screw.  Turn it to the right (clockwise)  and count the number of turns until it bottoms out.  Do this carefully; no hard turning; so as to not damage the screw or its bed.  Be accurate to within 1/4 turn.  Note the number of turns ( like 1 1/4 turns for example). Then turn the brass screw counter clockwise to 1 1/2 turns.  This will be your starting point.
With the engine very warm...like after at least a 5-10 minute ride,
you can adjust the brass screw (pilot air adjusting screw).
Turning it counterclockwise will richen the fuel/air mix in the low throttle range.  As you turn the brass screw the engine should speed up and sound better/stronger.
Continue turning CC until you get the highest rpm from the engine.  If you turn too much the engine will  begin to decrease rpm.  Find the best setting for highest rpm.
If you turn the screw CC and get to 3 turns out, and the engine is still running faster with no slow down, then you need to install the next larger sized pilot jet, and then repeat the tuning process.  The pilot jet is in the bottom of the carb and sits just off center of the main jet and is down in a deep hole.  It is also brass and has a slotted head.
Remove carefully.
DO NOT GO BEYOND 3 TURNS OUT with the brass screw since this can cause the screw to loosen and fall out while riding.  That would not be good.

** Just a note... working on a motorcycle carb is MUCH EASIER if you use a small impact driver.  You can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight tool stores for about $5-7 or from Sears Craftsman tool stores for a bit more.  Of course, the quality of the latter is much better.
This small impact driver will make the job so much easier and save you all sorts of #*&%$#*# words as the soft metal screws from the stock carb give way and get all bungled up.  This leads to drilling and playing with the "easy out' bits.  yea  ... fun...no thanks.

With a good tight leak free exhaust system, the pilot screw/jet setting is 90% responsible for the backfires.

If you wish to do the mod to the plastic white spacer that is on the needle, which richens the midrange of the fuel/air mixture, then you will need to remove the top of the carb.  It is usually much easier to remove the carb from the engine and then remove the top of the carb on a work bench.  You will need space to spread things out, check and clean parts, and make the jetting changes/adjustments that are necessary.
With the carb top removed, you then pull up the rubber diaphram, with slide & needle attached, carefully to insure no damage to it.
Look down inside the slide and you will see 2 tiny screw holding down a little metal plate which holds the needle assembly in position in the bottom of the slide. The tiny screws are difficult to get out undamaged, thus the need for the small impact driver.  Place the slide/diaphram, with needle pointing down, on a good stable surface that has a hole or slotted space so the needle can point down while the base of the slide is supported.  Then you can use the impact driver to remove the tiny screws.
When removed, the plate will come up and expose the needle with tiny washer, white spacer and spring.  Pay attention to the order of the pieces.  
By taking the white plastice spacer, which is basically 5mm thick, you can rub it back and forth on some sand paper or file and reduce the thickness by 1/2, then reinstall the needle assembly into the slide.
Some folks will replace the white spacer with tiny washers instead, which are 1 mm thick each and most will use 2-3 of them.
When complete, then reinstall the slide/diaphram assembly back into the carb body.

So far you have taken care of the low and midrange with the pilot and needle work, now on to the high throttle range and the main jet which controls it.  
If you feel your engine is lacking some power at wide open throttle then install a new main jet that is 1 size larger than what you have now.  The main jet is in the bottom of the carb, is right in the center and easy to access, and can be found by removing the float bowl.  It is a large round head jet.  
Things to consider:
-at wide open throttle the engine should be running smooth and powerful
-if it seems to lack power then try the next larger main jet
-if power improves and the engine is still running strong then try the next larger main jet.
-keep going until you find the main jet that reduces power and smooth running
-then you know that last jet is too large, so go back down to the next smaller jet and this is your best main jet for power in the  3/4-wide open throttle range.

These are the basics of properly tuning the stock carb on the LS650 engine for smoother and powerful running.

I would suggest that if you have not done so already, replace the stock muffler with at least a HD Dyna or Sportster muffler.  It will run better, have more power, and sound like a real motorcycle.
Of course, when changing the muffler, it is necessary to retune/jet the carb.  Change the air intake ?  Retune/jet as needed.

Some folks prefer to go with a Supertrapp or other aftermarket muffler.  Basically, any "slip on" type muffler made for HD's will work on the LS650.  And remember that a good air-tight seal is necessary for good running.
Now go riding and have fun !

Man, that took a while.

« Last Edit: 02/27/10 at 17:40:49 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 02/27/10 at 13:01:27

And be aware that those changes will be in violation of the Federal Clean Air Act and will at least technically make it illegal to use the motorcycle on public roads.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/28/10 at 11:41:07

Charon wrote on 02/27/10 at 13:01:27:
And be aware that those changes will be in violation of the Federal Clean Air Act and will at least technically make it illegal to use the motorcycle on public roads.

Jetting and tuning for maximum EFFICIENCY can result in an exhaust that will be within most limits

IP Logged
Marc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/28/10 at 14:34:10

I enjoy hearing mine backfire!!  I have no plans to fix mine!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/01/10 at 11:19:37

Lancer, can you store these responses somewhere? People need that stuff regularly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/01/10 at 17:38:50

Quote:
The "backfire" is actually an......................... It usually happens on deceleration when the throttle is completely closed.
----------------------------------------------------------

Here again, it seems their not all the same. I noticed on a 35 mile ride yesterday in the hills we have here, that on completely closed throttle it will not backfire, but if I so much as crack the throttle a touch, HANG ON ! But at slower speeds, I do get some rattlin backfires on closed throttle. So if their not all the same, they probably aren't going to react to remedys the same either.

Rich
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/01/10 at 18:46:54

I think some of the reason is because a large carb has to be used with the large (650cc single cyl ) displacement engine. At lower RPMs a lean condition occurs because of lower vacuum. Lancer hit on it slightly when he was recommending carb sizes to use on the engine. I think someone should design a splayed intake and install two smaller carbs that will provide a lot of vacuum at lower RPMs but still big enough to give it the collective volume it needs at higher RPMs. Whatcha think Lancer?? Gene

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/02/10 at 06:29:04

genejohnson wrote on 03/01/10 at 18:46:54:
  I think some of the reason is because a large carb has to be used with the large (650cc single cyl ) displacement engine. At lower RPMs a lean condition occurs because of lower vacuum. Lancer hit on it slightly when he was recommending carb sizes to use on the engine. I think someone should design a splayed intake and install two smaller carbs that will provide a lot of vacuum at lower RPMs but still big enough to give it the collective volume it needs at higher RPMs. Whatcha think Lancer?? Gene

A Single carb of the correct size and jetted/tuned properly will work great on a big single like the LS650.   I have been playing with assorted carbs and exhausts for quite a few years now, and this engine will run great, sound great, and not backfire when the carb is setup correctly.  
For the stock carb on a stock engine with another muffler of you choice, you rejet & tune as needed for low-mid-high throttle ranges, using the pilot system, the needle and n/jet and main jet to make the adjustments.
Backfiring is not a normal engine function.  Wth a well tuned carb/exhaust setup on an engine there  can   be popping/crackling on decel... this sound is music to my ears.  When you hear that sound you know that the engine is feeling great; like when you have been exercising for several months and are back in shape and feeling strong and energetic ...YOU JUST FEEL GOOD !   Same with the engine.

If you want or need a different carb; a performance carburetor; then the best bang for the buck is a Mikuni VM roundslide.  It is inexpensive, parts a available and are cheap in comparison to many of the newer style flatslide carbs.  This is why I use this carburetor in the Performance Carburetor Kits I  created.  The cost of the entire kit is $400, while many of the newer carbs cost that much just for the carb, then you still need all the other parts to make it functional.
For a roundslide carb on the  LS650 engine, use a 36mm or 38mm model.  The 36 mm is just fine for a stock engine with a Dyna muffler for ex.  My Performance Carburetor Kits currently have the 38mm and that is modified for better performance and responsiveness.  I made the change from the 36mm I used previously because most of the carb kits ordered were being used on engines with different air filters, high flow mufflers or complete aftermarket header/muffler system, Performance Camshaft install and some with ported heads.  With this range of modifications on the engine the carburetor needs are better met with a modified 38mm model.

With changes of this magnitude, the LS650 is transformed into a Savage Beast.  It is quick, fast for its catagory and gearing limitatiions, and will flat eat up mountain roads or other curvey's.  HD's are left way behind and you can run with sport bikes on the curves.
The torque increse is phenominal; there is usable power from idle to redline.  It is freaking fun to ride...talk about having a crazy grin plastered on your face...oh yea !

With the light weight of this bike and its quick and easy handling, it is a pure joy to carve up almost any road you choose to ride.

With stock gearing it will top out at about 100; swap in a chain/sprocket setup and you can gear for arm stretching acceleratiion  and top at 90  or gear for lower rpm at cruising speeds and gain some top end to boot.  You could get up to 110 with the right gearing I expect. ..especially if you have the Stage 2  Performance Camshaft.

THIS IS A GREAT BIKE AND IT HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL ... USE IT AND SEE HOW MUCH FUN YOU WILL HAVE

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 03/02/10 at 06:30:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/01/10 at 11:19:37:
Lancer, can you store these responses somewhere? People need that stuff regularly.

I ALSO POSTED IT IN THE TECH SECTION

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.