Send Topic Print
If you think (Read 183 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

If you think
02/24/10 at 09:36:10

it is a PITA to get at your valve adjustments, buy a Honda.

My new 750 Aero made some noises that caused me to want to check the valves.
Take off the tank, pita to reach the rubber hoses to the carb. Even harder to get them back on.
Remove complete aircleaner assembly, and disconnect all of its many tubes.
Remove plastic simulated chrome bling from top of engine, all four of them.
disconnect rubber breather hoses.
Remove the fitting that the breather hoses go to, first try to remove the screws, they are nearly inaccessable.
Remove valve rocker covers, it is an interference fit.
Do not lose ANY of the small bolts from any of this stuff!  They are specially shaped and can only be had at the stealership.
Remove the plastic bling from the left side of the engine.
Now you have access to the inspection windows by taking out the large and small plugs.
That's all there is to it, now you can set the clearance in a more or less normal fashion.
Put it all back together.
Total time about six hours.  one half hour of which was to make a special tool to adjust the valves.
Obviously, Honda assembled all this, then put the engine in the frame with no thought towards servicing.

Makes the savage look pretty simple doesn't it.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: If you think
Reply #1 - 02/24/10 at 10:45:02

I think the thought is, to make it such a PITA,... that you're willing to pay Honda to adjust them...
Dealerships'll make more money in service charges, than they did on the sale of the bike...
Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/24/10 at 12:12:55

Serowbot wrote on 02/24/10 at 10:45:02:
I think the thought is, to make it such a PITA,... that you're willing to pay Honda to adjust them...
Dealerships'll make more money in service charges, than they did on the sale of the bike...
Huh

They must hate folks like us.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 02/24/10 at 14:01:59

Cars are the same way.  Wendy broke the right side mirror on her New Beetle.  I'm reading how to get to the part to replace....  Remove door skin....  "OKAY!!  Dealer Time!"   About $500 to fix a bloody wing mirror.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 02/24/10 at 14:17:30

I think Phelonious is correct. Cars and motorcycles are designed to be easy (cheap) to assemble. Maintenance is pretty much an afterthought. Engines are built on a fixture, then installed into the vehicle. Dashboards are built on a fixture, then put into the car. I have heard it said that a nickel saved on the assembly line translates into a dollar less cost on the showroom floor. The modern computerized system of maintaining inventory is why you can't buy parts, too. If the dealership doesn't sell some number, they will not stock the part.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/24/10 at 17:20:16

Paladin. wrote on 02/24/10 at 14:01:59:
Cars are the same way.  Wendy broke the right side mirror on her New Beetle.  I'm reading how to get to the part to replace....  Remove door skin....  "OKAY!!  Dealer Time!"   About $500 to fix a bloody wing mirror.

Remove door skin? Thats liable to cost more than $500.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 02/25/10 at 01:14:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/24/10 at 17:20:16:
Paladin. wrote on 02/24/10 at 14:01:59:

Remove door skin? Thats liable to cost more than $500.00.

Wow, the door skin?!  Or was that the inner door panel?  If so, that's probably pretty normal to replace the mirror on newer vehicles.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #7 - 02/25/10 at 06:58:27

Interesting how they've changed, my 76 Honda is the easiest thing in the world to work on. Remove tank, remove valve covers, adjust!

1998 Suzuki Savage LS 650, black, 11.5k. verslavy, relocated turn signals, saddlebags.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 02/25/10 at 11:24:32

My friend has a '03 Honda 750 Spirit.  Basically same bike with different tins and handle bars.

Yea,  when we looked at it we both thought it looked it would be a real PITA.

NOTE: My neighbor had a Aero, and I think the Drag bars on the Spirit are more comfortable.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 07:27:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › If you think

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.