Send Topic Print
BIG JUG (Read 2692 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: BIG JUG
Reply #15 - 03/12/10 at 13:38:30

I dont think suzuki does 1mm over anymore. On bikebandit they list the 1mm over as discontinued. You could go up to 3mm over (97) as lancer has done but the sleeve thickness is on the knifes edge of too thin and I personally wouldnt go that far without adding an oil cooler. If you're doing one over the PN you had listed is correct and the pin and clips will work. Something to think about though, if you can get the suzuki 1mm over piston its significantly cheaper than wisecos and is weighted to match the counterbalancer for "minimal" vibration, but you wont get as much gain in performance as the wiseco piston is domed for increased compression and is about an ounce lighter than a suzuki piston which would make winding out the gears quicker.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/12/10 at 18:44:07

could of sworn I saw it when I last looked... thanksgiving?

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/12/10 at 22:56:21

nope. 23-1 on the crankshaft microfiche is .5 over. 23-2 is discontinued.

IP Logged
jmw0582
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/12/10 at 23:24:45

where can i see pics of this rex I keep hearing about?

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #19 - 03/13/10 at 00:10:05

Thanks guys. For now I am gonna HAVE to wait and see how far they have to go to make the cylinder true. They said they'll give me a call when it's done. Hopefully it'll be soon. By the looks of the cylinder to me... it should only be .5. It really doesn't look too bad, but from experience you just never know. Thats why I was sort of concerened. I couldn't find a piston for 1 over through Bike Bandit or any other site and started freaking out a little. If they only have to go .5 I'll get the oem piston and if they have to go more I'll get the wiseco 95mm, 96mm or 97 if I have to.

I bought the bike with it all torn down. Sooo..... I may need help when it comes time to putting it all back together. I feel pretty confident about things like this but...... I didn't take it apart so it's a whole different story.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need you guys. LOOKS LIKE ALOT OF PARTS!!! LOL

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 03/13/10 at 02:57:16

LS-Rich wrote on 03/12/10 at 11:19:47:
So... Just so I'm clear. I need the 95 mm if they can get away with 1 over. If not how much over can they go with a stock cylinder. I think he told me they could only go 1 over with that cylinder without resleeving it. Is that right? Or can they go 2 over? Also will the wrist pin and circlips for the dr that comes in the piston kit work on this savage.

The cylinder will go up to 3mm over, to the 97mm.  It just depends on what you want and are comfortable with.  Others have done the 97mm before and I've never heard of a problem.  I am boosting total engine power quite a bit and have no concerns.  Actually, just 2 days ago I spoke with my contact at Bore-tech who is doing the overbore for me.  He had just completed the boring process and was preparing to hone and then do the silicone carbide treatment.  He expressed no concern whatsoever with boring the cyl to that size.  This guy does all sorts of race engine work and would KNOW if there was a possible problem with it.

And to repeat a point I made earlier, you should have the new piston first so you can send it with the cyl to be bored, so they can measure exactly on how much to bore to match the piston being used.

Bore-tech requires that the new piston be sent with the cyl for boring because they want to be exact  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 03/13/10 at 03:15:51

jmw0582 wrote on 03/12/10 at 23:24:45:
where can i see pics of this rex I keep hearing about?

REX   can be found here ....   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1248477715/0 

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 03/26/10 at 05:56:58

I received the newly worked piston and cylinder from Bore-tech yesterday and they are PERDY   Cheesy  and the photos do not do it justice    

It cost several penny's but the end result will be worth it.

REX is now a 700 Savage

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 03/26/10 at 06:01:58

You better use some high performance Klotz racing oil in it if you want it to hold together.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 03/26/10 at 07:02:15

bill67 wrote on 03/26/10 at 06:01:58:
 You better use some high performance Klotz racing oil in it if you want it to hold together.

I will be using Valvoline Racing oil in it.  My favorite had been Amsoil syn for a long time but in discussions with Webcam folks I decided to go with the Valvoline.   They said that it "stuck" to the cam lobes better than the syn's did.  I do not know what it is but apparently there is something in it that helps it do that.  

Back when I had my '56 Goldstar, Valvoline Racing oil was all that was ever used in it.  I bought it from a professional flatrack racer who was builder/mech/rider ... a privateer of which there were many back in the 50's and early 60's.  He was a mechanical engineer by training and was a very good bike builder.  The Goldstar was a freaking animal.  It came right off the track and I put it on the streeet.  No lights, no horm, no battery..... just a magneto, wire & plug.... that's it.  The comnression was about 11:1 I think, it was kick start only of course and no compression release ...better get it right or it would throw you.  The cam was the #1 of 5 choices for racing and the exhaust was a 1 3/4 pipe with open reverse cone megaphone.   The carb was the best available at the time, a 1 1/2" Amal Grand Prix Racing carb with seperate float bowl.  It would flow a tremendous amount of fuel and the engine needed it.  You could hear it for miles.
Riding the Goldstar on the street was a real trick.  With that race carb the engine would not idle so constant throttle attention was needed.  Since it was built for flattrack racing the thing was tuned for wide open throttle running .  When you turned the throttle on that animal it would howl and you had better have a death grip and the bars or you would not stay on.  

That was the scariest bike I have ever ridden.  Some were faster on top end but from 0-110 nothing could touch it.  The torque was enormous and it literally would stretch your arms out when you launched it on pavement.  Keeping the front wheel down was downright hard.

Anyway, the point to the whole thing was that the Valvoline Racing oil did the job on the track in a very harsh invironment so I expect that it will take care of REX nicely.  REX is not a Goldstar, but he has moved in that direction a bit.   Cool

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 03/26/10 at 07:44:08

More cc's, higher expression,...... Shocked
What about a double gear reduction starter, along w/ a "big crank" ?? Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 03/26/10 at 10:14:57

Routy wrote on 03/26/10 at 07:44:08:
More cc's, higher expression,...... Shocked
What about a double gear reduction starter, along w/ a "big crank" ?? Grin

I buy the batteries made for the big vtwins just to be sure there is enough juice to do the job

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/26/10 at 16:03:16

one big "jug",in the middle where it belongs...ain't that called a "uni-boob"?

Looks like they did a very nice job dude!
Go wake the neighbors...three blocks down!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 03/26/10 at 16:43:49

JohnBoy wrote on 03/26/10 at 16:03:16:
one big "jug",in the middle where it belongs...ain't that called a "uni-boob"?

Looks like they did a very nice job dude!
Go wake the neighbors...three blocks down!

That extra 2  points  or so of compression should add some sharp bark to the exhaust sound.

I just went back and did some calculations with the new piston.
The raised area on the piston displaces 8.5cc's of the combustion chamber volume which raises the compression 1.4 pts up to 9.9:1, and the additional 3 mm bore increases cyl vol which adds another 0.6 pts, bringing the new total compression ratio to 10.5:1

« Last Edit: 03/26/10 at 17:51:24 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 03/26/10 at 19:31:17

if you want bigger, it exists ...

Trouble is your sleeve isn't big enough to hold it.

DR650 pistons and pins fit our con rod ... and they come in two year split groups, the early models started at 95mm and the later year models grouped around 100mm.

This is the basis for some of the European group's 880 and 900cc engines as the aftermarket made up kit pistons going up to 104mm

===========

All of the above is hooey of course, nobody would really DO that sort of stuff to an engine, now would they?

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:54:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BIG JUG

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.