LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
BIG JUG
02/23/10 at 04:43:12

I got a little time yesterday between all the packing and stuff, and was able to get the new Wiseco forged high comp piston and a spare cylinder packed into a box and sent off to Bore-tech for a bore/hone, silicone carbide treatment on the cyl wall, bead blast and paint the outside of the cyl, and also have the piston treated on top and skirts with temp coating and slippery stuff.
All of that should reduce friction & heat significantly.  
Besides, REX will now be 694.64cc.  Adding the cc's raises the comp to 9.05:1, but this piston has a raised crown (2mm) which should bring the comp up to at least 10:1.
With this added to the higher lift camshaft, REX should have a bit more muscle on his bones.   Wink   Cheesy   Grin   Cool

« Last Edit: 02/24/10 at 03:42:53 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: BIG JUG
Reply #1 - 02/23/10 at 07:49:02

Hey Lancer
 Nice piston, can I stroke it  Grin

Clive W

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/23/10 at 09:20:56

If you have the tooling.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/23/10 at 10:01:02

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/23/10 at 10:13:34

I went for the 95's.
soon I hope to have time to mess with it.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 02/23/10 at 10:20:40

Part numbers! we want part numbers please!!   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 02/24/10 at 03:58:06

smokin_blue wrote on 02/23/10 at 10:20:40:
Part numbers! we want part numbers please!!   Wink

Grin   Grin   Grin

http://wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx

Wiseco leads the performance aftermarket by producing the highest quality pistons on the highest quality forgings. Wiseco is unique because we forge all of our own pistons in our USA manufacturing plant along with our own forge tooling. This allows us to control all aspects of our manufacturing process from raw bar to skirt coating finished parts. In addition, in-house dyno testing gives Wiseco the ability to develop state-of-the-art technology such as new shapes, coatings, and components, and lead the industry through rigorous R&D. You can learn more by viewing our Piston Information Page.  
Wiseco produces high quality American made FORGED pistons, that stand up to the test of extreme racing conditions. Every Wiseco product is engineered with the most advanced technologies, for the ultimate performance and durability in all forms of PowerSports!

Part Number Price Boresize OverSize Attributes
 4597M09500  $195.11 95.00mm  STD  Displacement: 641cc
Stroke: 90.40mm

4597M09600  $195.11 96.00mm  1.00mm  Displacement: 654cc

4597M09700  $214.64 97.00mm  2.00mm  Displacement: 668cc

** keep in mind that the 90.4mm stroke is for the DR650 engine, but the DR and LS650 use the same piston/pin/clip from '90-'95     Wink

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 02/24/10 at 05:06:26

It'd be awesome to see some footage of you putting REX through his paces when you get him done; not sure if you have video capability though.  Still be cool to see pics of the beast. Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/24/10 at 05:52:37

John_D FSO wrote on 02/24/10 at 05:06:26:
It'd be awesome to see some footage of you putting REX through his paces when you get him done; not sure if you have video capability though.  Still be cool to see pics of the beast. Cool

I do have video capability and will record as soon as practical.  Hopefully this time around there will be no oil leaks as before.
The piston & rings are new and the bore will be new; the valve guide seals are new as will be all gaskets.  So there SHOULD NOT be any leaking this time.  

Time will tell.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 02/24/10 at 08:22:17

i expected something else when i read "big jug" hahahaha

lancer, that is awesome! almost 700cc's on that half naked beast?!?!?!?!?! i was happy after the rejet, muffler and k&n when i took the chrome rails off cuz they were so heavy! lol

pics please! how about u come down to south fla we'll do a little training and u show me how to do that! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 02/24/10 at 11:48:29

Rocco wrote on 02/24/10 at 08:22:17:
i expected something else when i read "big jug" hahahaha

lancer, that is awesome! almost 700cc's on that half naked beast?!?!?!?!?! i was happy after the rejet, muffler and k&n when i took the chrome rails off cuz they were so heavy! lol

pics please! how about u come down to south fla we'll do a little training and u show me how to do that! lol

I wish I could come down, that would be a lot of fun playing with parts and all.   My one free long term ride each year is the Dragon Ride we do in this area.  The past 2 years it has been a 3-4 day trilp from door to door.  This year some of us are adding another 3 days so it will be a full week for some.  
So this is my one good deal when it comes to leaving home for an extended ride.

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #11 - 03/12/10 at 10:31:51

Hey Lancer. Got an 86 savage I bought cheap that had a bad piston and needs bored. Dropped it off to have it bored today. They're not sure how much they'll have to go. Either .5 or 1 over. My question is... will that part number (4597M09500) you listed above work with 1 over? Or is that actually the stock bore. I guess I a little confused because I thought stock was 94mm. Thanks.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/12/10 at 10:57:12

Stock bore is 94mm.  the part number I put up is for a 97mm forged high compression piston from Wiseco.
Part of the confusion may be that these pistons are listed under the Suzuki DR650 vs LS650 on their website.  For the '90-95 years they use a common piston which will work in any year Savage or S40.  
Also, the DR650 has a slightly different stroke from the LS650 so that is why you see differenty numbers for total engine size.  For the LS650 engine, a 97mm bore will take it up to 694cc.   It is a nice jump indeed, + the added benefit of the increased compression.  There will be a substantial difference from stock.
Just get the piston FIRST and then send it with the cylinder so they know exactly how to do the bore job.  
As mentioned, I send mine to Bore-tech and they do the bore, hone and silicone carbide treatment for $165.   If you are going to bore it anyway, pay the few extra bucks for the silicone carbide.  It is worth 10x the money.
The pistons sell on ebay for about $169 I believe and sometimes can be either 95mm, 96mm or 97mm and in stock or higher compression ratios.  It just depends on what is offered at the time.
Buying the pistons from Wiseco costs about $200 + a few I think, but don't quote me.

I hope this helps

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #13 - 03/12/10 at 11:19:47

So... Just so I'm clear. I need the 95 mm if they can get away with 1 over. If not how much over can they go with a stock cylinder. I think he told me they could only go 1 over with that cylinder without resleeving it. Is that right? Or can they go 2 over? Also will the wrist pin and circlips for the dr that comes in the piston kit work on this savage.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/12/10 at 13:20:21

Stock zuki pistons are available up to 1mm over.
most likely why "he" states he can only go over by 1

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:29:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BIG JUG

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.