Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: best battery?
Reply #15 - 02/28/10 at 20:08:13

Charon wrote on 02/28/10 at 08:55:01:
I did a Google search using "battery load test" as the search term. Seems like the battery load test involves loading the battery at 1/2 of its Cold Cranking Amp rating for 15 seconds. The voltage should not drop below about 9.5 volts during the test. I say "about 9.5 volts" because there is a temperature correction. The voltage is allowed to be lower at lower temperatures. 9.5 volts would be for more-or-less normal room temperature.

That is correct.  The CCA rating of the maintenance-free Interstate battery I bought for my Savage in FEB 04 is 190.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 02/28/10 at 20:11:41

Routy wrote on 02/28/10 at 10:12:43:
Wow,.....100 amps seems like a lot of load for 15 seconds. I used the 50 amp HF testor, and wanted to be sure it was ok for the small battery. The 50 amp is actually an automotive tester, so we can add motorcycle batteries to the list it will test.....

Actually, you need a larger capacity tester than a 50 amp one to properly load test the standard Savage-capacity battery.

A properly administered load test ain't no beauty contest.....you're actually trying to make the battery fail it.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 02/28/10 at 20:18:04

bill67 wrote on 02/28/10 at 17:53:26:
  I don't need any battery tester,I can tell by the way a engine starts if the batteries are good,Most car and motorcycle batteries last a least 5 years,If you don't play around with them.

Cool.....if you don't stray too far from home on your motorcycle(s).

However, the reason I started load testing my batteries is that very little of my non-Savage riding is of the "around-the-flagpole" variety.

In my experience, a battery will fail a load test up to several months before it will not start the bike or even show any signs of weakness under normal use.

I always load test the batteries in my big road-burners before each long trip (which can be over two months long).  If the battery fails, I pop a new one in.

A battery which fails a load test may seem OK for a while, but will probably let you down some time during a long trip.

BTDT!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 03/01/10 at 05:18:08

Quote:
I don't need any battery tester,I can tell by the way a engine starts if the batteries are good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My bike (any tuned bike) bike will start in 3 seconds, (maybe 5 when very cold) therefore doesn't take a real good battery to start it,.....in fact my battery is very weak but starts the bike fine.
But under max load test drawing twice the amperage,...for nearly 5 times the seconds, could be a whole nother story. If we were to crank the bike for 15 seconds, it would seem like forever, and that would be drawing only 1/2 the amperage as the max load test.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 03/01/10 at 05:36:31

Max load testing must not be good for battery,I never do that and my battery starts my bike quick and last many years,My 1500 battery is 7 years old and still ticking.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 03/01/10 at 16:39:28

Must not be good ??
Anytime you  start the bike, it is not good for the battery, and in theory shortens its life. Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 03/01/10 at 17:10:25

Routy wrote on 03/01/10 at 16:39:28:
Must not be good ??
Anytime you  start the bike, it is not good for the battery, and in theory shortens its life. Roll Eyes

Thats why I don't play around with it all winter,just keep it under cover.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 03/01/10 at 17:20:26

You could push start it winter and summer,....... make that battery last even longer Shocked

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 03/01/10 at 17:48:13

Hey don't be giving my secrets of long battery life away Angry

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 03/02/10 at 07:07:22

To completely eliminate battery problems, you could get hold of an old Cushman Eagle (one of the pre-OMC ones). They have kick starters, magneto ignition with breaker points and magneto lighting. No battery at all. Be aware the lights are not very bright unless the engine is turning pretty fast.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 03/02/10 at 17:10:59

Charon wrote on 03/02/10 at 07:07:22:
To completely eliminate battery problems, you could get hold of an old Cushman Eagle (one of the pre-OMC ones). They have kick starters, magneto ignition with breaker points and magneto lighting. No battery at all. Be aware the lights are not very bright unless the engine is turning pretty fast.

Be aware the lights are not very bright unless the engine is turning pretty fast.

"The lights are dimly lit, and nobody is home?"

Ive met these people......very low reading on their tach

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 03/04/10 at 08:17:50

Charon wrote on 03/02/10 at 07:07:22:

I have no battery problems I let it rest during the winter.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › best battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.