Send Topic Print
best battery? (Read 396 times)
smitty1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

best battery?
02/22/10 at 11:04:59

I think I need a new battery for my 2007 s40, old one won't take a charge. What make have my fellow savage/s40 owners had good luck with.  

smitty1

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: best battery?
Reply #1 - 02/22/10 at 11:26:22

Several of us are fond of the Big Crank.  http://www.bigcrank.com/suzuki-l650-savage-all-battery/ETX-15L.html

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/22/10 at 11:26:36

Big Crank.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 02/22/10 at 11:33:33

smitty1 wrote on 02/22/10 at 11:04:59:
I think I need a new battery for my 2007 s40, old one won't take a charge. What make have my fellow savage/s40 owners had good luck with.  

smitty1

You put water in it and used a  battery charger and it want take a charge? My 06 battery is still going strong.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bobed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/22/10 at 13:31:20

You really need to check the battery levels.  My 05 is sitting w/o any charger and it starts right up every couple of weeks......when will it get warm????

IP Logged
fire dog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/22/10 at 14:21:14

My battery just died from 1997.  I think I will try the big crank.  thanks

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 02/27/10 at 20:27:59

FWIW....

I've had an Interstate battery in mine (see my signature) for over six years.  Last July, it still passed a load test with 1.1(!) volts to spare.

I've got a spare Interstate battery waiting on the shelf......I like 'em!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 02/28/10 at 07:37:01

Digger,
Do you know what the proper load (amps) should be when doing a load test on this size battery ? Load test is usually held for 10 seconds, but the amps should match the battery size.
Digger wrote on 02/27/10 at 20:27:59:
FWIW....

I've had an Interstate battery in mine (see my signature) for over six years.  Last July, it still passed a load test with 1.1(!) volts to spare.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 02/28/10 at 08:55:01

I did a Google search using "battery load test" as the search term. Seems like the battery load test involves loading the battery at 1/2 of its Cold Cranking Amp rating for 15 seconds. The voltage should not drop below about 9.5 volts during the test. I say "about 9.5 volts" because there is a temperature correction. The voltage is allowed to be lower at lower temperatures. 9.5 volts would be for more-or-less normal room temperature.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 02/28/10 at 08:57:58

Digger wrote on 02/27/10 at 20:27:59:
FWIW....

Interstate was actually my first choice, but cost was considerably more than the Big Crank, which I wound up buying. Brick and Mortar v. internet store prices.

FSO
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 02/28/10 at 09:59:34

Yuasa hi performance battery is 210 cc vs stock 190 if you ride in cold weather. and bike is kept outside.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 02/28/10 at 10:12:43

Wow,.....100 amps seems like a lot of load for 15 seconds. I used the 50 amp HF testor, and wanted to be sure it was ok for the small battery. The 50 amp is actually an automotive tester, so we can add motorcycle batteries to the list it will test.

Anyone know how many amps the savage starter draws ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 02/28/10 at 14:07:23

I posted that a while back, somewhere. I stuck a digital clamp ammeter on the battery cable and briefly saw over 70 amps. I don't know any more than that, because I have no way of knowing where in the sample-and-hold cycle the meter measured the current. The current dropped as soon as the engine went over compression and didn't rise that high again, but the meter sample-and-hold cycle may have been involved again. The engine started pretty promptly, too, not requiring more than two or three compressions to light off.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 02/28/10 at 17:25:39

Thanks, good to know. At that rate, that $20 50 amp HF load tester would be ideal for testing them.

Again, there is a big difference how long batteries last, and again I can tell you, from vast experience,  that the batteries that stay the closest to full charge will last the longest. Motorcycle batteries normally don't carry much of a warranty, reason being, the MFGs know that most never get charged all winter long, and will fail a load test after a year or 2.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 02/28/10 at 17:53:26

I don't need any battery tester,I can tell by the way a engine starts if the batteries are good,Most car and motorcycle batteries last a least 5 years,If you don't play around with them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › best battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.