Send Topic Print
changing the oil (Read 187 times)
kdchal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

changing the oil
02/20/10 at 16:17:08

I currently have an 03 Savage I usually take it in to get the oil changed but i enjoy doing the work on my vehicles myself.  
i know that what i wanted done is done correctly.  I have moved and no longer have the owners manual and would like to change the oil but dont know which cover to remove for the filter and its been a year since its been changed.  
only a couple of mile have been put on it though.  Can anyone tell me which cover to take off for the filter.  Help is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: changing the oil
Reply #1 - 02/20/10 at 17:09:16

Right-side front... triangle shaped... don't loose the spring or o-ring under the filter and remember to put them back on...  also make a mental note of which way the filter faces...
Add 2 quarts to refill... oil drain plug is on left-side bottom, horizontal, just behind frame...
Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 02/20/10 at 17:12:05

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
kdchal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/20/10 at 19:23:11

Thank you guys thats where i was thinking it was but im more familiar with 4 wheel repairs and didnt want to start tearing things apart.  Could you also tell me how often the plug is suspossed to be changed

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/20/10 at 22:45:49

No idea really,... I've got 22k miles and I've changed it a least once,......
I think.. Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/21/10 at 01:05:08

If you're getting a strong spark and it isnt fouled i dont see any reason to replace it.

IP Logged
suslik83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

estonia
Reply #6 - 02/21/10 at 02:43:08

I have changed it after third oilfilter...so once a year I change oil and it makes period - three years! same with my brothers vt600c`s... I ride with  ls 87 "pinky" less than 6000 km per year! but still look the plug if it is not OK better change it!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 02/21/10 at 09:35:51

Some of you are really lucky,.....get full instructions of how to change oil, w/ pictures and all.

Some time ago when I first asked where the drain plug was, somebody said you gotta just keep takin bolts out till oil comes out ! Angry
Wink
ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 02/20/10 at 17:12:05:

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 02/21/10 at 10:02:23

When I get a new bike I always polish it a couple times,By then you know where everything is.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 02/21/10 at 15:14:24

What Serobot said. That drain plug is a tricky one to find the 1st time.
I found the easiest way to remove it was from the right side of the bike. Reach across under the motor. It's the horizontal bolt facing the kickstand. A socket wrench will undo it easily.
I've got 2 seasons on the plug and its still good. Its gonna be a pain to change as the gas tank has to come of. There's a mod listed on this site to allow a top chrome engine cover to be swung out of the way to access the plug w/o removing the tank. I'll probably do it the 1st time I remove the tank.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/21/10 at 19:48:28

Skid Mark wrote on 02/21/10 at 15:14:24:
What Serobot said. That drain plug is a tricky one to find the 1st time.
I found the easiest way to remove it was from the right side of the bike. Reach across under the motor. It's the horizontal bolt facing the kickstand. A socket wrench will undo it easily.
I've got 2 seasons on the plug and its still good. Its gonna be a pain to change as the gas tank has to come of. There's a mod listed on this site to allow a top chrome engine cover to be swung out of the way to access the plug w/o removing the tank. I'll probably do it the 1st time I remove the tank.

That chrome cover trick doesnt do any good when using the spark plug tool in the stock tool kit. You gotta cut an inch or so off the end for it to work.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 02/23/10 at 09:09:16

it'll help find the bolt if u toss a mirror under there so u can see it, then u know where it is!

it's either a 17 or 14 mm if i'm not mistaken, i believe mine is 17mm....went and got a set from harbor freight just for the job  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › changing the oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.