Starter Problem (Read 195 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Starter Problem
Reply #15 - 02/20/10 at 07:41:30

Buy one of these, you won't have to wonder again,http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93784....... this 50 amp model works great on these Bike  batteries.

On edit:
can't seem to get that link to load !
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93784

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/20/10 at 09:48:04

To check for a bad cell in the battery, you need, a voltmeter, a headlight,  two nails about 2 inches long.
Take off all the caps of the cells.
Clip the nails into the alligator clips of the volt meter.
Hook up the head light so that there is a modest load on the battery.
(with no load this test may not reveal anything)
Start at one end of the battery by touching one battrey terminal with the positive lead of the volt meter and  insert the nail gently into the second cell away from the terminal. This tests the first cell only.  It should read about 1.2 volts.
Move the nail to the third cell and put the other nail into the first cell. This tests the second cell, it should read about 1.2 volts also. Move each nail one cell further each time to test each cell. The cell being straddled by the nails is the one being tested. If any cell is significantly lower than the others, ( more than one half volt or more different), the battery must be replaced.  Since you cannot replace one cell of a battery, the whole thing is junk, get a new one.

BTW  I have had a solenoid fail and replacing it is PITA.  After you finally get it out, cut a notch in the lower bolt hole of the new one.
This is so you can have the lower bolt in place but loose.  Put the bolt through the upper hole and screw it part way in. Now rotate the new solenoid until the notch slips over the lower bolt and tighten both.
This method requires fewer four letter words than any other.
Having the stealership do it also requires fourletter words when you pay the bill then find out they didn't do it right.

Phelonis

Phelonius
  IP Logged
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Reply #17 - 02/21/10 at 17:07:49

Just an update, had to work all weekend so I took the somewhat new battery off and let it charge for a good 12 hours on a 2amp slow charge. I put it on tonight and tried to start it. I got a little more headway and it put out some smoke out the muffler, but it did not start. I then noticed that some gas was coming out of the black tube at the bottom of the bike, not sure what this is but it was definatley gas. It only let out maybe and ounce or two, but it still wouldn't fire up. Now I'm unsure whether i flooded it or not.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:26:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.