Send Topic Print
S40 Prime Operation (Read 148 times)
Rich_G
YaBB Newbies

WPA
S40 Prime Operation
02/18/10 at 03:36:20

My friends,

I need some advice.  I store my S40 in the garage during Winter with a "Smart Charger" hooked to the battery.  The issue is that we have so much SNOW here, I cannot take the bike to the driveway for weeks at a time to Start and let run.  The gas evaporates from the carb, and the question is "What is the recommended (proper) way to PRIME"?  Do you turn to prime and wait so many minutes/seconds?  I've read where you can over Prime and that is what I am trying to avoid.  Thanks for any help and advice .... God Bless ..... Rich G

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: S40 Prime Operation
Reply #1 - 02/18/10 at 04:09:08

You can't "over Prime" unless your float valve is stuck open.  If that is the case, gas will come out of the overflow tubes.
Put it on Prime for about 10 seconds before trying to start.  That should be plenty of time to fill the car bowl.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 02/18/10 at 05:59:11

My technique for PRIming is to turn the petcock to PRIme, then roll the bike outdoors, turn the petcock back to ON, and call it good. The time involved in moving the bike has always been sufficient, even if I actually drained the carburetor for storage.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rich_G
YaBB Newbies

WPA
Reply #3 - 02/18/10 at 09:06:25

Thank You, my friends, the information is much appreciated.  Now if the Snow would just go away ..... Rich

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/18/10 at 16:36:48

rich dont know where you are but here in west colorado @ 4500' ive
never had to use prime i go out to the carriage house every 2 weeks or so(no battery tender) with a fresh beer and fire that muther up..
sit the till the enginge case is wrmed up (2nd beer) and call it good..mines an 06 so 5 winters now no problems...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rich_G
YaBB Newbies

WPA
Reply #5 - 02/19/10 at 09:13:46

Quote:
rich dont know where you are but here in west colorado @ 4500' ive
never had to use prime i go out to the carriage house every 2 weeks or so(no battery tender) with a fresh beer and fire that muther up..
sit the till the enginge case is wrmed up (2nd beer) and call it good..mines an 06 so 5 winters now no problems

ThumperClone,

I'm in Western Pennsylvania, buddy, and my house is 1250' MSL, so you got me elevation wise by a good margin.  Too bad we can't have a beer together sometime and watch the Primer's Run (LOL).  I was just reading Peter Egan's "Leanings 2", and he writes a lot about riding in your beautiful State.  My bike is a 2007 with about 5K on the Clock.  We have at least 2.5 feet of Snow on the ground now, with more predicted for next week (hope they are wrong).  I want to run the bike this weekend, and will need to Prime, since it's been at least three weeks now.  Thanks for the comments, ..... Rich

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:24:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Prime Operation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.