Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vista Cruise (throttle lock) - Universal fit (Read 339 times)
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Vista Cruise (throttle lock) - Universal fit
02/16/10 at 12:05:20

Has anyone put one of these on your bike?  Are they worth it?  I also am not sure of my handlebar size, bike is in garage sandwiched in between 5 others and it's been so COLD (20 degrees and below) - 10 inches of snow right now.  I haven't had time to go measure.  It's a 2006 S40.  - stock bars, I think it's 1" but not sure.    

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Vista Cruise (throttle lock) - Universal fit
Reply #1 - 02/16/10 at 12:09:09

Others have done it. I have a set but havent gotten around to installing it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/16/10 at 12:49:58

Ditto

1" bar

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 02/16/10 at 20:15:11

I got one for Christmas a cople of years ago and I absolutely love it.  Rememebr it is a throttle lock and not cruise control, it is not perfect but I have had no trouble with it holding at a set speed.  All I can say is, if mine broke I would be looking for another.

I tried one of the slip on paddle things and about killed myself with it.  

The throttle lock is the way to go, but that is just my opinion.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 02/17/10 at 02:13:03

I agree with the opinion on the "little paddle thingy".  I tried one, didn't like it.  To get the positioning right for it to be any use on the highway, it'd be in the way at lower throttle cruising.  So I took it off and gave it to a buddy with a Honda CBR600.  He said he's got a lot shorter throw on his throttle, so it might work better.
Eventually I want to try the throttle lock though.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #5 - 02/17/10 at 05:13:02

I've had a Vista Cruise for years and I like it.  Saves a lot of tension in the right hand.  I know the (older) buckhorn bars are 1" and I'm pretty sure the (newer) drag bars are 1" also.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 02/17/10 at 08:21:51

Another vote for the VistaCruise.. they are great for warming up your bike on "fast idle" instead of using so much choke.  

Throttle locks are more efficient than cruise controls anyway.  They don't floor the gas trying to maintain an exact speed up hills, and they don't chop the throttle on downhills, necessitating flooring it again on uphills.  Let the speed "breathe" a little and your gas mileage will thank you.  The savage is not so underpowered that the variation in speed while running at fixed throttle is all that dangerous or annoying.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #7 - 02/17/10 at 09:01:18

I am installing one for my 300 mile ride this sunday. I will give a ride report when I get to portland.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #8 - 02/17/10 at 09:03:33

Thanks so much for all the advice!  Sounds like a good thing, the price is not to bad either for it.  I think I will try it. Cheesy

I did not even think about the "warm up" part.. Wink  No way would I ever do the throttle rocker/paddle thing.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 02/17/10 at 10:06:09

I've got an '06 as well.  I ordered mine from here http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/cruise_controls/sound_off_recreational... and according to my order history, I got the MCUV01-P which is the one for the 1" bar.  It does take some trimming of the rubber part that goes around the grip and you will have to move the right mirror as well.

It's great for being able to un-cramp your forearm on a longer ride.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #10 - 02/17/10 at 10:21:16

I looked at the link, and I see how it mounts.  Can someone tell me a little about how it works?  
Does it come on automatically when the throtle goes past a certain point?  If not, how is it engaged?  

Can it be adjusted on the fly, to set at whatever cruise speed you are interested in?  

How, and how quickly, does it release?

Looks like a wonderful device, just want to make sure I understand it.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/17/10 at 10:32:08

you click a lever at whatever throttle position you'd like to stay in and it locks the throttle there. I know one kind disengages automatically whenever you move the throttle again but idk if its the vista cruise. You might have to manually unlock it too. Like i said...never got around to installing mine.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 02/17/10 at 11:16:01

The VistaCruise I had was one of the early ones.  But if the lawyers didn't come in and ruin the design, it keeps the throttle locked where you set it until you release it.  It isn't really "locked" per se, you can still twist the throttle, it's just harder. To set it, push forward on the lever with your thumb.  To release it, catch it with the back of your thumb to flip it back toward you.  The lever is shaped so that both the forward and after motions are very easy.  There is also a setscrew that determines the pressure on the throttle tube and lever.  It takes a little trial and error to adjust. Too little tension on the screw, and there won't be sufficient friction to lock the throttle and the lever won't stay forward.  Too much tension, and the lever won't stay forward either.  I'd put a dab of blue threadlock on the setscrew because a thumper might eventually change the setting.  Disclaimer: I have not tried the VistaCruise on a Savage.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #13 - 02/17/10 at 11:40:07

Put one on my '06 a year ago. Stock drag bars. Had to move the mirror with the break reservoir slightly left to fit. Fiddled with the tension spring and the rubber spacer(s) for a few rides to get the right tension/release. Best thing for the long rides. If you don’t have them yet, get some highway bars to complete the ride.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 02/17/10 at 19:02:45

Boule’tard wrote on 02/17/10 at 11:16:01:
The VistaCruise I had was one of the early ones.  But if the lawyers didn't come in and ruin the design, it keeps the throttle locked where you set it until you release it.  It isn't really "locked" per se, you can still twist the throttle, it's just harder. To set it, push forward on the lever with your thumb.  To release it, catch it with the back of your thumb to flip it back toward you.  The lever is shaped so that both the forward and after motions are very easy.  There is also a setscrew that determines the pressure on the throttle tube and lever.  It takes a little trial and error to adjust. Too little tension on the screw, and there won't be sufficient friction to lock the throttle and the lever won't stay forward.  Too much tension, and the lever won't stay forward either.  I'd put a dab of blue threadlock on the setscrew because a thumper might eventually change the setting.  Disclaimer: I have not tried the VistaCruise on a Savage.

What he said!  I have the vistacruise on a savage.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:33:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vista Cruise (throttle lock) - Universal fit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.