Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
No Riding Battery Question (Read 439 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
No Riding Battery Question
02/09/10 at 09:54:24

I will be off my beloved Savage for at least a month due to Carpal Tunnel Surgery on my clutch hand, so it won't be ridden.  Since I have no Power Monitoring/Charging equipment, should I start it and let it run for a while each week charge the battery?  and if so, how long should I let it run to do this?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: No Riding Battery Question
Reply #1 - 02/09/10 at 10:55:32

If your battery is good it will easily go a couple months with out charging it,The most wear on an engine is at start up its not good to start it up all the time unless your going to ride it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/10 at 11:03:41

my battery won't go a week without being charged, but maybe my battery is bad, also you might need some gas stabilizer or something if you are just going to let it sit

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 02/09/10 at 12:43:40

A good battery will probably go 3 months w/o charging and still start the bike. But that doesn't mean that practice is best for battery longivity, because in even a months time it has discharged enough that it is slowly deteriorating thru the process of sulfation. I have proven several times that lead acid batteries can last 10+ years if they stay fully charged, except when actually using them. But if you think that the price of a battery every few years, is worth not hassling a float charger staying connected during non use, that is quite understandable. But the fact (experts agree) still remains, any battery that stays full charge most the time, will have much better longivity. For myself, connecting a float charger is no harder than hanging up my helment. But my OEM battery,...at 3 yrs old is very weak, probably because of the way is was treated before I got the bike 6 months ago,... but I can probably get another year out of it, just by keeping it fully charged, and maybe just for the challenge of it all Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 02/09/10 at 14:14:34

My battery is 5 years old and strong as a new battery,Poor thing has never seen a float charger.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 02/10/10 at 06:34:46

Bill,
You have made it quite clear many times that your battery is some kind of super power, or ???

But the fact is, many.....if not most here have battery problems if not charged every month or 3, especially in colder weather, when our rides are maybe shorter, and the bike's charging system is not keeping up w/ the discharge from frequent starting, because of the shorter rides, etc etc.

I just try to figure out the point of you're several posts that always seem to follow mine as if to counterdict what I post about batteries,.....only to help those that have problems better understand the importance of keeping batteries full charged for the longest service life.
If you are just commenting that your battery......or charging system never needs charging, fine. But if you are trying to convince that all the rest of us never need to charge our batteries in a month or 2, you are only hurting them, not helping.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/10/10 at 07:12:06

well said. My rides are very short, I connect to a decent charger once or twice over the winter, and that's it. Before I used to crank the bike up once a week or so...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 02/10/10 at 09:21:53

Sorry my battery must be a super power battery,But I must luck out because the 16 or so bikes in the last 38 years must have been super power batteries.My brother started when I did he had the super powered batteries too. The more you play around with a battery the shorter the life is.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 02/10/10 at 09:40:31

Well, coming from a person whose battery was 4 yrs old a few days ago, and a day later it is suddenly 5 yrs old, and along w/ the rediculous statement made in your last post, proves anything you say has no credibility anyway, so doesn't matter.
bill67 wrote on 02/10/10 at 09:21:53:
 Sorry my battery must be a super power battery,But I must luck out because the 16 or so bikes in the last 38 years must have been super power batteries.My brother started when I did he had the super powered batteries too. The more you play around with a battery the shorter the life is.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 02/10/10 at 10:51:17

Its a 2006,bought in 2007 new. How old is the battery? If your battery is weak at 3 years old you must be doing something wrong.

« Last Edit: 02/10/10 at 12:04:21 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/10/10 at 11:35:33

bill, how often do you ride? are they long rides? do you keep your bike in a garage or out in the cold & wet with other elements??   I'm new to riding I probably am doing something wrong, but if I don't ride my bike twice a week the battery dies and I have to pull it out and charge it for like 30 minutes, the water did get low, so I tried adding some but screwed that up and overfilled a few of the cells and all the cells aren't even. I tried taking some water out of the over filled cells by putting paper towels inside the holes and soaking it up, that worked I probably screwed up my battery somehow doing it. idk.  

EDIT:  Yes it was distilled water I added, don't think the paper towels were distilled though Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 02/10/10 at 12:02:40

Most of my rides are maybe 40-50 miles about every other day,I keep it in a dry garage never gets below 32 in the coldest of winter.I've only put water in it one time 2 years ago.When I put distilled water in it I charge it at 2 amps,Then put the charger on 8 amps and let it boil for 5 minutes,I think that cleans the plates off.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 02/10/10 at 12:15:39

bill67 wrote on 02/10/10 at 10:51:17:
  Its a 2006,bought in 2007 new. How old is the battery? If your battery is weak at 3 years old you must be doing something wrong.

Hey Bill,
Along w/ math, apparently you have problems w/ your reading too !
Maybe try again:

Quoted by Routy:
But my OEM battery,...at 3 yrs old is very weak, probably because of the way is was treated before I got the bike 6 months ago,...

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 02/10/10 at 12:20:19

I got a feeling he had a battery tender on it,That will do it in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 02/10/10 at 12:40:14

Routy wrote on 02/10/10 at 12:15:39:
bill67 wrote on 02/10/10 at 10:51:17:

Hey Bill,
Along w/ math, apparently you have problems w/ your reading too !
Maybe try again:

Quoted by Routy:
But my OEM battery,...at 3 yrs old is very weak, probably because of the way is was treated before I got the bike 6 months ago,...

If your battery was weak when you bought the bike you should have bought a new battery for it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:20:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Riding Battery Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.