Send Topic Print
Three Wheel Options? (Read 526 times)
Reggie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Three Wheel Options?
02/03/10 at 05:16:28

Okay, the second topic that I searched for info on was trikes, and again, I came up short.  I have a 2005 and really like it, but now I have a bad knee and I'm concerned about re-injury when riding (or more precisely, falling over!)  I came across a guy with a sidecar on a 2008 and although it looks rather cool, I really didn't like the way it handled.  There's also the outrigger "training wheel" systems, but I've also ridden one of those (non-Savage however) and really hated it for low speed handling and in the corners at any speed.  

I've also come across this:

http://www.thetrinitytrike.com/roadster/savage/index.html

Has anyone seen or heard about one of these, or know of any other true trike conversion for the S-40's?

TIA!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Three Wheel Options?
Reply #1 - 02/03/10 at 08:37:51

After poking around their website, it looks to me as if you'll be spending about $6-$7K to do the job. Depending on whether you can scrounge up some fenders, wheels, tires, and so forth. Like every such website they claim their stuff is only the best in quality and design, so I tend to disregard those claims.

I would be concerned with the rear brake. Judging by the pictures, there is one brake for the rear axle, and it lives on the differential carrier along with the drive pulley. Old Model T cars had their brake in the transmission, rather than on the wheels. According to my father, when the brake is overapplied (think panic stop) the drive shaft will lock (in this case, the differential carrier). At that moment whichever wheel has less traction will break loose and, as the other wheel continues to roll, spin backwards because of the differential between them. I expect the result would be rather interesting.

In any case, before going any further, I would see if I could find a trike of some sort and drive it. One quirk of a trike is that it has three wheel tracks, unlike a sidecar or automobile. That means it is more difficult to avoid potholes by straddling them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Reggie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/03/10 at 09:45:12

Charon wrote on 02/03/10 at 08:37:51:
|snip|....

I would be concerned with the rear brake. Judging by the pictures, there is one brake for the rear axle, and it lives on the differential carrier along with the drive pulley. Old Model T cars had their brake in the transmission, rather than on the wheels. According to my father, when the brake is overapplied (think panic stop) the drive shaft will lock (in this case, the differential carrier). At that moment whichever wheel has less traction will break loose and, as the other wheel continues to roll, spin backwards because of the differential between them. I expect the result would be rather interesting.

In any case, before going any further, I would see if I could find a trike of some sort and drive it. One quirk of a trike is that it has three wheel tracks, unlike a sidecar or automobile. That means it is more difficult to avoid potholes by straddling them.

Thanks for your thoughts!  Your dad of course was right about the Model T, but since the stopping mechanism (the disk) is actually on the axle itself and not coming thru a drive shaft, I understand that makes a difference.  In any case, other straight axle systems (Mystery designs, Frankenstein, etc) use the same type design effectively.  

I might be more concerned about the pothole issue, except I no longer live in New England, where the potholes abound, prosper & seemingly reproduce overnight! Grin

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 02/03/10 at 18:39:38

Trinity Trikes has gotten good reviews on http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php for their Suzuki Burgman 650 trike kits. I still ride my S40 when I get get my leg over the tank but bought a Burgman 650 for days that I can't. When I can't hold either bike up, I will probably go with a Trinity Trike kit for the Burgman.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #4 - 02/04/10 at 06:20:53

12 Bravo.  Is/was that your MOS?

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #5 - 02/04/10 at 07:11:40

When I was having my hip replacement, I spent some time looking at trikes, just in case.  I have to say that this is one of the cleanest conversions that I have seen.  I like that it doesn't have cases all over it.  

I would have two concerns, one they may have dealt with, and one that is inherent in the bike.  With something less than 30 hp, the Suzy may be a little short on power to pull a trike.  When I tried a number of different bikes, I found that about 800cc and 50 horse was about the bottom for me, but then I weigh 300 lbs.

A more serious consideration is gas.  With the added weight and big tires, you are going to see a significant reduction in mpg.  With a 2.8 gallon tank, that could be a big thing.  I didn't see if they make provision for an auxiliary tank, but you will probably need one.

Just some thoughts.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 02/04/10 at 12:30:32

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #7 - 02/04/10 at 12:41:08

I have a voyager kit on my 650. (see avitar) It is a add on and can be removed in a few minutes. It handles well after you get used to steering rather than leaning. Their web site www.mtcvoyager.com has video plus they will send you a DVD. Cost is about 4k. I started riding at 68 and never considered holding up a bike with my old bod. You should also take a look at www.ljtrikes.com. They have an unbelievable line up of real trikes at great prices. The prices are so good and the trikes so fantastic, it makes me wonder about the catch. There are some other great manufacturers out there. Just google.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 02/04/10 at 16:32:03

Tanker2Biker wrote on 02/04/10 at 06:20:53:
12 Bravo.  Is/was that your MOS?

Yes I was a combat engineer.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/06/10 at 05:30:19

Seriously, I Get the desire to ride, even when the legs start being a hazard, If I was just dead set on staying on a bike, then I guess Id have to go w/ a sidecar, but, I also see me in a little sports car. For less $$$ than a bike & sidecar, there are some older Miattas & Pontiac makes a little 2 seater, convertible. That would make hauling stuff easy & still pretty much "Outside" unless it gets ugly, then raise the top..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 02/06/10 at 06:17:27

The ragtop is the approach we took. My wife has had a couple of back surgeries and has had both her knees arthroscoped. She says she likes motorcycles and knows I do. Several years ago we bought a used Pontiac Sunbird convertible, and now she describes it as "our motorcycle." We paid less for it, used, than we'd have paid for any of the trike kits, and on the highway it gets mileage probably better than most trikes and some motorcycles. I still have motorcycles, but none of them including the S40 is really suitable for any sort of long distance two-up riding.

If a convertible interests you, you might want to consider insurance. I have heard that a two-seater costs considerably more to insure than a four-seater. I have never asked the insurance agent, however.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/06/10 at 09:29:03

& remember, 2 bikes running side by side, each getting 50 MPG, is like riding in a little convertible, side by side, getting ,, 25 MPG, same fuel costs. Most of those little cars get better than 25, the tires arent crazy to pay for or have mounted,less gear to pay for, all in all, I think a convertible is a good answer. Especially if its for a 2 person trip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trinity Trike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/12/10 at 09:23:07

Charon wrote on 02/03/10 at 08:37:51:
After poking around their website, it looks to me as if you'll be spending about $6-$7K to do the job. Depending on whether you can scrounge up some fenders, wheels, tires, and so forth. <snip>

Actually the out-the-door price (tires, wheels, paint & tax) is never more than $6k.  And the last one Trinity just did was right at $5k.  The customer was able to take advantage of a Christmas special -- and that included 7% sales tax.  Savage projects have been quoted as low as $4.5k for a roll-your-own assembly delivered to the mid-west.

Hi folks, I know all this because I'm Bob Witte, President of The Trinity Trike.  All of a sudden, we've had a lot of visitors jumping from this forum over to our website in the last week.  So I thought I'd sign in and answer a few questions.

I called the last Savage customer mentioned above to find out how he likes it and to let him know about this forum.  Well he does like it as do the other Savage customers.  But sadly, none of the guys are "internet surfers".  

The first Savage we did was 18 months ago (it is the yellow one on the site).  The owner took it up north and when he came back last fall, he decided to do another that he could have one down here as well!  So he owns two of them!

Believe it or not, we've built a lot 250cc trikes in the lst 3 years for newbies, but recently we've been encouraging folks to consider the Savage over those bikes.  I did 4 Savage quotes in January -- and only one of those folks actually owns a Savage now.  There's a much better return on investment with the S40 vs. the 250cc class bikes.  

It makes a great trike!

Bob Witte

IP Logged
Trinity Trike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/12/10 at 09:33:36

gerald.hughes wrote on 02/04/10 at 07:11:40:
When I was having my hip replacement, I spent some time looking at trikes, just in case.  I have to say that this is one of the cleanest conversions that I have seen.  I like that it doesn't have cases all over it.  

I would have two concerns, one they may have dealt with, and one that is inherent in the bike.  With something less than 30 hp, the Suzy may be a little short on power to pull a trike.  When I tried a number of different bikes, I found that about 800cc and 50 horse was about the bottom for me, but then I weigh 300 lbs.

A more serious consideration is gas.  With the added weight and big tires, you are going to see a significant reduction in mpg.  With a 2.8 gallon tank, that could be a big thing.  I didn't see if they make provision for an auxiliary tank, but you will probably need one.

Just some thoughts.

Our rear assembly is mostly 6010 aluminum (or above) and therefore very light weight (for the Savage it is just a bit over 120 pounds net increase over the 2 wheeler).  Like I said above, we've done a goodly number of 250's sucessfully and that class of bikes are real "weak sisters" in comparison to the Savage.

We've only done a relative handful of Savages.  I don't have any before/after MPG figures on them, but based upon our many other conversions where we have some tracking, the MPG "hit" is typically in the 10% range.  

Bob Witte
www.TheTrinityTrike.com

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 02/12/10 at 11:48:30

Wow, Bob, thanks for taking the time to share some information.  That tells me that you care about your business and your customers (and potential customers!)  Welcome!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Three Wheel Options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.