Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine studder after throttle closed (Read 120 times)
Airizzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine studder after throttle closed
02/02/10 at 20:32:53

When the throttle is closed the RPM drops below the set idle speed and then stabilizes. If the idle is set where it sounds right the engine will die so  it needs to set a bit higher.  I opened up the carb and cleaned it out.  While I was in there I reduced the thickness of the needle washer.  The transient enrichment valve was a bit crudded up and wouldn't move freely so I cleaned that up.  It looked like there was fuel on the spring side of the enrichment diaphragm.  As I understand, it should be dry, or am I wrong.  I could not find a hole in the diaphragm.

Anyway, the engine is running very strong.  Almost all the backfiring is gone.  The washer mod made a big difference.  If I can solve the studder when the throttle is closed quickly I will be very happy.  Any ideas?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Engine studder after throttle closed
Reply #1 - 02/03/10 at 08:34:55

I had a similar problem, and I also blamed the enrichment valve. And then somebody here advised me to try with petcock on "Prime". And it was all gone. My petcock diaphragm leaked a bit, so the engine would suck raw fuel through the vacuum line when throttle was closed. Try that first.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 02/03/10 at 08:42:34

Idle speed is supposed to be 1100 - 1200 rpm. It is better to set it a little high than low. That will help reduce the afterfire (backfire) on throttle shutdown. It will help avoid engine stalling, and it will help keep adequate oil delivery up into the cam journals in the head.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #3 - 02/04/10 at 01:06:42

For reference - in this sound file the bike is idling at about 1080 rpm, ie slightly too slow.

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/Savage_ScreaminEagle.mp3

« Last Edit: 02/04/10 at 03:04:06 by PhilM »  
  IP Logged
Airizzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/04/10 at 13:21:28

Thanks for the sound file.  I have to idle a little faster but not much.  You helped put my mind at ease.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:37:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine studder after throttle closed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.