Send Topic Print
turbulator install (Read 97 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

turbulator install
02/02/10 at 18:57:21

I can only give a seat of the pants report here, but I believe the turbulator is well worth the effort to make and install. I bought a bag of plastic soda straws and a two inch PVC pipe joint. I followed Diamond Jim's instructions on the dimensions of the straws and used a small tube of clear silicone tub sealer to glue them together. I cut the PVC to be 1/4 inch longer than the straws and beveled the last quarter inch to remove the step down from the straws to the snorkel. The unit is installed in the air box end of the snorkel with beveled end facing the carb. Total cost, less than ten dollars.
I need to state here that I do not have the standard jets or filter. I am running a 150 main and a 55 pilot. The filter is my version of Oldfeller's Nu-form open filter. I am also running an open longshot exhaust.
Now, as to my impressions of the ride difference. The bike seems to accelerate and decelerate smoother. It appears to be stronger through the power band and has more torque. In short...I like it!... a lot!!
If you are interested in building one, just search for post by DJ and Verslagen1.  My thanks to both of you!!!

I would be interested in how many of the rest of you are running a turbulator.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: turbulator install
Reply #1 - 02/02/10 at 19:27:34

Sweet.  I had to play around with the jets a bit but I ended up with a 52.5 pilot with no bleed holes and I think a 150 main.  The 52.5 pilot with bleed holes, which I was using with the stock airbox then simply a pod filter, was delivering too much fuel after the turbulator install.  All that is from memory and memory ain't tpp good these days!  I dpo remember that the vaccuum at low rpm with turbulator is improved/more effective at drawing gas up through the piloy jet and bleed holes were just too much.  

JB, you did a great job explaining the ride difference.  I say that cause it's kind of hard to explain.  For me it broadened the width of the powerband, meaning power kicked in a littler earlier and continued pulling well at the peak when in stock form.  It also improved the depth of power within that wider powerband.  

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 02/02/10 at 19:36:15

That does it, where did I put my collection of used soda straws?

Just kidding, but I do believe I will be trying this as well. I have some 2in PVC pipe in the garage I believe, I just need the straws.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 02/02/10 at 19:46:36

I think for turbulator long-term durability, thin walled cylindrical aluminum would work great.  Seems I remember Verslagen mentioning using arrow shafts or something like that.   The walls need to be very thin to minimize airflow cros sectional obstruction.  Basically, be as invisible as possible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:24:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › turbulator install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.