Send Topic Print
battery charger (Read 377 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
battery charger
01/30/10 at 21:51:46

Is a 1 amp battery charger powerful enough to charge the battery monthly or do you need a 2 amp? Thanks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: battery charger
Reply #1 - 01/31/10 at 03:41:16

2 amp will work better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 01/31/10 at 05:31:42

For the 14 amp-hour battery used as stock on the S40, you would ideally use a 1.4 amp charger. The one-amp unit will do the job very nicely, but take a bit longer. The two-amp is a little more than the ideal rate, but not enough so as to be damaging. Either will do the job.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 01/31/10 at 07:15:40

what sort of time would you charge the battery for?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 01/31/10 at 07:46:22

2 amps about 12 hours. With battery charger.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 01/31/10 at 09:16:37

Personally, I would buy either an automatic charger or one of the varieties of a Battery Tender (or other brand name). I would make sure it had a low rate of charge. Many automotive chargers have several charge rates, including usually a 2 amp range. That way you don't have to worry about how long you leave it connected, because it won't overcharge the battery. Connect it, check it later or the next day, and if its indicator says the battery is charged disconnect it.

By the way, a trickle charger is nothing else than a regular charger, except it has an output of usually less than half an amp. A trickle charger will, just like a regular charger, "boil" the electrolyte out of the battery if left connected for long times. I ruined a 105 amp-hour Group 27 trolling motor battery by leaving a trickle charger on it over the winter.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 01/31/10 at 11:41:25

Charon said a 1 amp charger is ok .I have a good 1 amp charger . When the voltage reaches what level will I know that the battery is fully charged ? Thanks.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/31/10 at 11:54:48

Full battery is @ 14.5 or close to it.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 01/31/10 at 11:59:17

Thanks,that answers my question.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 01/31/10 at 12:40:24

A little over 3 months ago I covered my motorcycle up in my garage,My garage never gets below 32 degrees and is dry,I took off the cover and put it on prime for one minute,It started up right a way ran it for 10 minutes.Its a 2006 and the original battery. I guess I don't need a battery tender every one is so hung up about.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 01/31/10 at 15:56:20

I tried charging the battery(yuasa) with the 1 amp charger .It goes up to 13.7 volts and doesn't seem to go higher .If the battery is good it should go up to 14.5 volts even with the 1 amp charger ,right?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 01/31/10 at 18:00:44

Bill is correct. If your battery is in decent shape, and was reasonably well charged, you do not need a battery tender or charger. The battery will hold an adequate charge for at least three or four months, given that there is no other drain on it such as a clock or a radio with station memories. If it doesn't, it is already on its last legs and will likely fail before too much longer. But there are a lot of motorcycle owners who "humanize" their machines and believe that lavishing extra care on them will make them run better and last longer. A battery tender falls in the category of doing no harm if properly used, even if it isn't really needed. Same with using premium gas instead of regular (unless the manual calls for premium), high-dollar special oils, fuel and oil additives, and so on.

I would think a 1-amp charger would bring a small battery (your motorcycle battery) up to something over 14 volts, but it might take overnight to do it. Before I panicked, I might try the charger on another battery, such as a lawn mower or a different motorcycle. I might also check the current output of the charger, just to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do. If your battery has either semi-transparent sides or removable caps, I might check to see if the electrolyte is bubbling more or less equally in all cells.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/31/10 at 18:36:44

You don't need a special one amp battery charger.  I use my regular car charger and put a ceramic 1 ohm 10 watt resistor in line.  I charge for about 4 hours once a month.  The ammeter on the charger shows about an amp with the resistor in line.  Resistor is cheap - about a buck.  Keeps charge rate low enough for that small battery to handle charging duties without bubbling out fluid.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 01/31/10 at 20:14:43

I bought a Battery Tender Jr. a couple of weeks ago (.75 amp, I think?).  I was worried because we haven't been able to ride.  My husband and I both got new batteries this summer, and I didn't want to risk losing them, since they were more expensive than the Tender.  But when I hooked up my S40, it took less than half an hour to fully charge.  My husband's C90 took a while longer, but it has alot more electronics than my bike.  My point is, I agree with Charon.  I think I could have made it all winter without the Tender, but I'm more at peace knowing it.  I'm glad we bought it anyway, since the C90 seems to enjoy it...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 01/31/10 at 21:07:45

The best reason to get a smart charger is because they know when to stop, and don't require you to keep checking the voltage.  When you get a new battery, you're supposed to bring it to life with a long, slow charge. Well how do you do that when you don't know how charged it is out of the box?  How do you know how long to charge a battery to "top it up" after it's been sitting in a bike for a couple of months and you don't know how much charge it lost?  

Lead-acid batteries last the longest when they stay as fully charged as much of the time as possible. To accomplish that, you can maintain it by frequent use, conventional charging, or a smart charger.  When it's too butt-assed cold to ride, and you don't want to constantly dote over the battery to see if its fully charged (yet not boiling the electrolyte out) then let a CHEAP $23 Tender Jr. handle it.

I'm keeping my other charger though, because sometimes I'm just late for work, maybe taking the car, and just gotta jumpstart and go.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:01:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.