Send Topic Print
battery charger (Read 377 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: battery charger
Reply #30 - 02/01/10 at 12:08:09

Thats what I do let the battery sit and forget it in the motorcycle all winter.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #31 - 02/01/10 at 12:36:18

Very interesting .I was float charging my battery for a  few straight months ,I guess I'll just disconnect it ,and charge it once a month in the riding season,with the battery tender for a few days at a time.Thanks

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 02/01/10 at 13:11:57

Charon and boule, that kinda makes sense, since chemical reactions decrease intensity with temperature... Purely theoretical... dasch out.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #33 - 02/01/10 at 21:03:25

rl153 wrote on 01/30/10 at 21:51:46:
Is a 1 amp battery charger powerful enough to charge the battery monthly or do you need a 2 amp? Thanks.

And now for something totally different....

Hook your cheapo, 1 amp battery charger up to a timer.  Set it so it comes on for 30-45 minutes a day.

That's what I do for my five bikes (I don't own a cage).  I don't really trust "smart" battery chargers, so I do it this way.  My setup uses a digital timer and it cuts all 5 battery chargers on for 40 minutes every night.

Actually, the Savage (being my "daily rider") gets a "smart" charger, but it's still downstream of the timer and therefore is activated for only 40 minutes/day.

Everything is mounted to the ceiling to reduce clutter.

The sheet metal you see up there is to mitigate any possible (but unlikely) fire hazard.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #34 - 02/01/10 at 21:05:14

bill67 wrote on 02/01/10 at 12:08:09:
 Thats what I do let the battery sit and forget it in the motorcycle all winter.

You must be living right....the mechanical gods would punish me severely if I did that (and have, in the past)!

Once bitten, twice shy!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Reply #35 - 02/02/10 at 06:36:15

I think Bill is throwing out a bit of sarcasm there Wink

Personally, (and Ive done this for years with very good results) is if im done with the bike for the winter Ill remove the batt, slow charge it up completely, and store it in the basement (Cooler, but not freezing cold like the garage)  on some wood racks.

Come spring throw em back on slow (2A)charge a day before your ready to install and your good to go. Cool They seem to last just as long as anyone elses by doing that.

To each their own I reckon. Wink

"life throws ya curves, you learn to swerve"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:51:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.