Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spoke adjustment (Read 136 times)
jabman

England
spoke adjustment
01/30/10 at 14:54:41

well after changing all my rear wheel and pulley bearings, ive still got my annoying clicking sounds

on further inspection ive got some loose spokes on my rear wheel

does anyone have any tips on sorting this, without warping the wheel ? should i tighten them evenly ? Undecided

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: spoke adjustment
Reply #1 - 01/30/10 at 15:11:12

Tightening the spokes while keeping the wheel true is a tricky and tedious business. I have never done it so I can't really give any advice.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 01/30/10 at 16:56:12

You can get a spoke torque wrench.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/30/10 at 17:22:58

jabman wrote on 01/30/10 at 14:54:41:
well after changing all my rear wheel and pulley bearings, ive still got my annoying clicking sounds

How much trouble was changing the pulley bearing? Did it require special tools? How much was the bearing? did you buy from the dealer or a bearing  supply house? Thanks for the input
JB

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/30/10 at 19:07:48

Loose spokes huh
tighten while spinning
get your self a wire secure it to something and set the end near the rim to give yourself a reference.
slowly tighten each spoke alittle at a time
they should pluck and ring all the same when you're finished.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/30/10 at 19:22:43

As Vers says

get your self a wire secure it to something and set the end near the rim to give yourself a reference.

You can put one on each side & you wont be going wrong at all.

Its really self explanatory. Go slow, dont try to set a loose spoke all the way on one pass. Look for a section of rim that varies from the rest. Go to the point with the most deflection, tighten the spoke that would pull it back into line the the ones that pull it that direction next to the one tightened. Drizzling a penetrating oil down the spokes the day before you try it msy be a good idea. Maybe you could take a very small crescent wrench & check to see if the nipples have corroded to the spokes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #6 - 01/31/10 at 00:03:09

JohnBoy wrote on 01/30/10 at 17:22:58:
jabman wrote on 01/30/10 at 14:54:41:

How much trouble was changing the pulley bearing? Did it require special tools? How much was the bearing? did you buy from the dealer or a bearing  supply house? Thanks for the input
JB

the pulley bearing was significantly easier then the wheel bearings. no special tools needed. remove wheel. lift out pulley. remove spacer from inside pulley. prise out the dust seal (replace this and the wheel bearing). turn pulley over. insert large socket with an extension piece attached. hit hard to force bearing out the same way as the seal. clean and grease inside. evenly tap the new bearing into place, tapping in the outside edge only. push new dust over the bearing.

done  I ordered a bearing kit with all the bearings and dust seal on line

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/31/10 at 02:41:09

Jab, from my experience, you should tighten ones that are really loose just to the point where they don't rattle without the wheel stand and all other centering gear. A turn or two more - wheel may go off alignment. On the other hand - it is probably off already. So, next step:
When I installed a wider rim, I made a stand out of two guitar stands. I used a felt tip pen instead of a wire, so it marked exactly where the spinning wheel was off left and right. 6mm fork wrench is a great (maybe even better) substitute for a "special" spoke tool.
And there you go - went in half turn increments, spinning wheel, wiping off pen marks, and checking constantly. Tighten to minimize pen marks untill you are happy. Not hard, just takes some thinking and patience.

IP Logged
trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Reply #8 - 01/31/10 at 05:15:04

Felt tip pen??  Wink AWESOME tip!! Adding that to my book of tricks THANKS!! GREAT IDEA! Cool Cool

"life throws ya curves, you learn to swerve"
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 01/31/10 at 05:39:53

The penetrating oil on the spoke nipples sounds like a good idea, but I think you would want to use it sparingly. That's because on the other end of the spoke nipple is a rubber rim strip and a rubber inner tube. Rubber usually doesn't react well to petroleum-based penetrating oil.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/31/10 at 07:22:34

Felt tip pen, yup. Make sure it's erasable  Wink Leaves a nice mark wherever rim is warped. As you adjust, line gets shorter and shorter.

IP Logged
trublu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Geneva, IN.
Reply #11 - 01/31/10 at 07:38:14

dasch, thats reallya GREAT tip bud!! I can see how that works and Id a never thought of that.
Im definitely gonna remember that one Wink Cool

"life throws ya curves, you learn to swerve"
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/31/10 at 09:47:39

I use a hypodermic syringe and Marvel misery oil. That way I can apply a very minute amount to the spoke thread.  Marvel oil contains a small amount of oil of wintergreen (that is why it smells good) which is a truely marvelous penetrant.  By applying such a small amount, I do not worry about what it will do to the rubber inside.
I use a spoke wrench to both play the music and turn the spoke head.
You do not pluck it like a harp. You hammer it lightly like a piano string with the wrench.
With the wheel up off the floor so no strain is upon it, sound all the spokes to get an idea of the tension all round. Mark the dull sounding ones with a crayon or wipe-able marker, one dot for dull , two dots for dead sounds. This will give a general idea of the wheel. Rig an index mark to indicate out of round and side to side variance.  Correct by halves.
The very best way is to find someone with a trueing jig and beg it's use.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:35:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › spoke adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.