babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Camping hammock
01/26/10 at 10:20:31

My hubby bought one of these yesterday.  The bag is not much bigger than a softball, we figured it would pack in a saddlebag real easy!  
Anyone ever seen one or used one?  What do you think?  

Details:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=403679&pdesc=Eagl...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Camping hammock
Reply #1 - 01/26/10 at 11:03:21

I've got one. Lightweight, small, water resistant. Mine only has a 250lb weight limit though so dont try to squeee you and hubby in at the same time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/26/10 at 11:54:47

Hammocks dont really make sleeping on the stomach very danged easy, now do they?
Im pretty fond of parachute cord when packing & hauling stuff. Knowing a few knots & being able to tie them quickly really helps &, even tho I am very proficient with cords I have a little device from Harbor Freight that has proven itself to make a very quick, easy & dependable way to secure a load. I have it on the side of the bike & it gets used when I load the gym bag that sits on the seat. IMO, the single most versatile knot is the bowline & can be tied in less than 5 seconds & it can always be untied. If anyone wants to know the trick to it, Ill explain it. Maybe Reelthing can pitch in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 01/26/10 at 13:33:31

BurnPgh wrote on 01/26/10 at 11:03:21:
I've got one. Lightweight, small, water resistant. Mine only has a 250lb weight limit though so dont try to squeee you and hubby in at the same time.

This "double" says 400# limit.  I sure hope its more than 250, cause hubby is about that by himself.  Course 400 leaves plenty of room for poor little ole me....

And no, O-guy, if you are a tummy-sleeper, a hammock ain't the best!  But in this case, he'll be on his back, and I can be on my tummy on his tummy...  yea!

And I'm not sure how esplainin a knot without visual aids will work, but if you can tell me how to do it, then I'll be happy to read it.... and I'll even try it!

An accessory to this hammock is what they call "slap straps".  Haven't checked them out in detail, but they seem to be easier than normal straps.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/26/10 at 16:13:49

easy now BabyH, this is a family site here.....

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/26/10 at 16:36:43

i used to take a hammock camping, was great for naps and reading..had to stop
in our state parks and national forest campgrounds you cant tye anything to a tree anymore..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 01/26/10 at 17:04:26

buttgoat1 wrote on 01/26/10 at 16:13:49:

Really??    Cool

and good point thumperclone, I'll have to check into the ability to tie things to trees here...

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 01/26/10 at 17:12:56

buttgoat1 wrote on 01/26/10 at 16:13:49:

jeez babyhog!  you must have cabin fever or sumpin with these here posts lately!   Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #8 - 01/26/10 at 18:31:34

I was able to pick up one for each of us recently in Asheville for $15.00 each.  There's nothing better when you go on a hiking trip.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/26/10 at 22:43:03

To tie a bowline, tie a slip knot

Theres the one that "trips" the slip knot & pulls it tight on whatever is stuck in it,or simply makes it "slip" & come untied. Ill call that the "Live end", then, theres the other end. Ill call that the "Tag end"
Take the Tag End & poke it thru the loop of the slip knot.
Then, pull the live end, very slowly & watch the Tag End as it gets sucked into the hole & folded back on itself. You may have to help it get thru the hole & fold back on itself.
Thats a bowline. Study it & see how to untie it. These knots are used on the biggest ropes you can imagine, like on huge barges & can be untied, no matter how tight they get pulled. It may take a hammer & pry bar on a 6" diameter rope, but it'll let go.
There are books on knots, but Ive never seen anyone tie a bowline the way I do it. You might try cutting a rubber band & tying a slip knot on one end & poking the other end of the rubber band in it, like you were trying to tie it back together where you cut it. Thats what I was doing when I discovered this way of tying one. I was trying to Fix a busted rubber band, so I could pop a co worker.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 01/27/10 at 08:20:30

JOG, I'll have to try that when I can sit down and actually get my brain into it.  Can't do it right now.  But thanks!

Tony, you got a great deal!  I'm glad to see there are a few people who like the hammock.    

And yes, runwyrlph, I'm sure I do have cabin fever, along with being overstressed from work, this dang crappy weather is totally on my last nerve, and not being able to ride!   I'm ready to strangle something!  Oh, and I can add that today I have a POUNDING headache!  Nice.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 01/27/10 at 08:41:00

Babyhog,

When the weather improved, and you are out on your favorite ride, take a tape recorder (or modern equivalent) along with you and get a recording of the sound of the ride.  Then, when the weather is crappy, or job is crappy, or both, you can close your eyes, put on the recording, and be back on your favorite ride.  Not perfect, but it sure helps.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 01/27/10 at 09:58:07

Thanks Gerald.  Come to think of it, I tried to make a ringtone for my phone of my bike running.  So I do have a couple short recordings of it.  And I made a video while riding on the back of hubby's bike last summer.  I'm gonna give your suggestion a try tonight!    

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/27/10 at 10:03:53

For ultra light camping a hammock is about as simple as it gets if your body is comfortable in one.
I suggest when the rig is tied properly between two trees, you then draw a cord tight in a straight line over it and drape a light weight tarp across it as a rain fly.
You can also drape a mosquito mesh across the taught line and allow it to simply drape around you for some pretty effective protection.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 01/27/10 at 10:20:10

Phelonius wrote on 01/27/10 at 10:03:53:
For ultra light camping a hammock is about as simple as it gets if your body is comfortable in one.
I suggest when the rig is tied properly between two trees, you then draw a cord tight in a straight line over it and drape a light weight tarp across it as a rain fly.
You can also drape a mosquito mesh across the taught line and allow it to simply drape around you for some pretty effective protection.

Phelonius

I was reading reviews on this hammock and a reviewer mentioned a net.  Hubby went back to Gander Mountain yesterday to look for the slap-straps and net.  They were out of straps and it didn't look like they ever had any kind of netting to go with it.  Mosquito mesh is a great idea.  I'll find something suitable.  I hate bugs, especially mosquitos!  I sew, so I bet I can find something at the fabric shop and make something myself!  I think it will definitely be an asset to motorcycle camping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Camping hammock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.