Send Topic Print
Camping hammock (Read 299 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Camping hammock
Reply #15 - 01/27/10 at 11:44:45

Being able to make cords do what you want is important. Being able to get things tight takes more than "Grunt POwer", it takes knowing how. Loops to use like pulleys make all the difference & sleeping un a U shaped hammock would suck, but the tension required to hold something heavy out flat with a rope is enormous. You can take a chain thats got all kinds of tension on it & still deflect it in the middle, so imagine a rope with a hammock & 200 pounds in it. Gonna need a rope that doesnt stretch much & the ability to get it WAY tight between the trees. If you have a stable tie off & a load to move & you can put a pulley on the load, then a rope from the tie off, to the load( thru the pulley) & back to you, standing at the tie off, you pull 50 pounds on the rope = a 100 pound pull on the load. Minus friction in the "pulley" & IF that Pulley is a loop in a rope, theres some friction, but you still gain leverage.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #16 - 01/27/10 at 11:57:29

A double 1/2 hitch/ clove hitch is the next knot to know. Easy as pie to tie, but gotta have someone show it to you, to do it the fastest way, But, you can learn it, sitting at the table. Take a 3 or 4 foot length ot light rope. heavy string, parachute cord is my fave.

lay it out straight, take one end &make a circle on the table with one side of the rope, so that it kinda looks like a someone made a 270 * left turn to turn right, it goes in a circle to the left & then crosses its own path. Now, do the same thing on the other end, so that the ends are headed opposite directions. Take the loops & pick them up by the outer edges & keep the ends up out of the middle, Poke an arm thru& tighten & look at where the rope crosses itself. Its an X & the ends of the rope come out under the middle of it. Once someone studies that knot, they can grab a rope & , holding it in both hands, twist the wrists & place the 2 loops together & have it. Super easy, even easier than the Bowline.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/27/10 at 12:11:32

Note to the baby hog,  As you may imagine, draping the mosquito mesh still leaves an opening at each end although a small one.
spray the mesh at each end and you do not need to put that carcinogenic stuff on your skin.  mosquitos don't want cancer either so they won't try to get in.
Sitting around a camp in the evenings, I sometimes wear a cheap Davy Crockett coonskin cap. I spray the sides and the tail with repellant as well as the cuffs of my sleeves.  This pretty well creates a mosquito boycott effect.  Another thing is to sit near someone who drinks a lot of beer, they will prefer the beer drinkers' sweeter blood.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #18 - 01/27/10 at 12:18:56

Phelonius wrote on 01/27/10 at 12:11:32:
Note to the baby hog,  As you may imagine, draping the mosquito mesh still leaves an opening at each end although a small one.
spray the mesh at each end and you do not need to put that carcinogenic stuff on your skin.  mosquitos don't want cancer either so they won't try to get in.
Sitting around a camp in the evenings, I sometimes wear a cheap Davy Crockett coonskin cap. I spray the sides and the tail with repellant as well as the cuffs of my sleeves.  This pretty well creates a mosquito boycott effect.  Another thing is to sit near someone who drinks a lot of beer, they will prefer the beer drinkers' sweeter blood.

Phelonius

No wonder I'm always bit all to hell whenever we go camping  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 01/28/10 at 06:46:15

What if I'm the one drinking the beer?  And I'm the sweetest already, you know!  But nah, hubby out-drinks me easy!  Any tip I can get concerning mosquitos is good to me!  I have even pulled my hair into a ponytail and sprayed bugspray into my hands and rubbed onto the ends of my hair.  Yea, nasty, but it makes a good horsetail whip!    

and JOG, can you make a hangmen's noose?  Hubby was a Marine, so he learned all those knots.  Would still be good for me to learn them tho.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 01/28/10 at 09:42:22

Eat garlic, its supposed to keep the skeeters from Vanteenk your Blooood..

& Yea, I can do a hangmans noose. Run the rope back & forth 3 times, then wrap that core with 13 turns, stick the "Tag" end thru one of the loops to keep it & (IIRC) the other loop becomes the neck snapper, but its been years & Id just have to play with it.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/28/10 at 09:49:23

babyhog wrote on 01/28/10 at 06:46:15:
What if I'm the one drinking the beer?  And I'm the sweetest already, you know!  But nah, hubby out-drinks me easy!  Any tip I can get concerning mosquitos is good to me!  I have even pulled my hair into a ponytail and sprayed bugspray into my hands and rubbed onto the ends of my hair.  Yea, nasty, but it makes a good horsetail whip!    

and JOG, can you make a hangmen's noose?  Hubby was a Marine, so he learned all those knots.  Would still be good for me to learn them tho.    

Ask a chief Bos'ns mate, there are 43 recognized bowline knots.  There is only one hangmans knot that is official.
Range out a bout a fathom and a half of 2 1/2 inch circumference manila, (if available hemp is traditional but hard to get anymore), and form a loop. Bring the end back towards the loop and the wrap it thirteen times around the S turn that you formed. Tuck the end through the bight at the top and by pulling the proper leg of the loop, tighten this bight to form the knot.  Pull the hauling end to adjust the size of the noose.
Bear in mind that in some jurisdictions, this is now recognized as a deadly weapon.
Just curious, do you have a politician in mind or are you looking for suggestions?
myself, I am a traditionalist that prefers tar and feathers and a rail.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 01/28/10 at 10:09:53

I've heard mosquitoes don't like fabric softeners like Snuggles,But I've never tried them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #23 - 01/28/10 at 11:47:46

bill67 wrote on 01/28/10 at 10:09:53:
 I've heard mosquitoes don't like fabric softeners like Snuggles,But I've never tried them.

My wife got teased immensely on our last camping trip because she brought "Bounce" dryer sheets for that very reason. They seemed to help to some degree by rubbing it on exposed skin, but she started spreading them out all around her (she HATES bugs - you should see our collection of citronella candles)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 01/28/10 at 11:49:29

I heard one person say they just tucked in the sheets in their sleeves.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 01/28/10 at 12:47:55

EJID wrote on 01/28/10 at 11:47:46:
bill67 wrote on 01/28/10 at 10:09:53:

My wife got teased immensely on our last camping trip because she brought "Bounce" dryer sheets for that very reason. They seemed to help to some degree by rubbing it on exposed skin, but she started spreading them out all around her (she HATES bugs - you should see our collection of citronella candles)

Ha! Me too!  Sounds like you and your wife, and me and my husband should camp together... you and he can sit around the campfire and drink beer, and me and your wife can kill all the bugs!  But that doesn't sound very fair, does it.  Ok, she and I can throw empty beer cans at the bugs!  haha

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #26 - 01/28/10 at 16:29:21

I have used this type of hammock on ATV campouts for years. All those knots are hard to work even before the beer.
I carry two lightweight ratchett straps, ea. is 15' long, pack in the bag with the hammock and are easy to adjust to the spacing of the trees. Also forest service people like a 1" strap on the tree more than a rope.

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:37:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Camping hammock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.