Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tell Me If This Is Nuts (Read 638 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Tell Me If This Is Nuts
Reply #15 - 01/25/10 at 11:46:08

Your system does not cost enough.
Buy something expensive, the dealer will love you.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 01/26/10 at 21:23:36

where's justin this kind of rigging is what he lives for.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 01/26/10 at 22:54:30

Heck, I dont know hoot about wood. The guy asked if the idea was crazy,, heck yea, going with wood is. I'd be hunting up some aluminum sheet & cut out a hole to mount that GPS in, bang up some brackets & poke some rivets in & mount that mutha up. Im still hanging on to the handlebar clamp type mounts that held the little faring on the Guzzi, because they'd make a decent camera mount or GPS mount. They are even somewhat vibration damping.

Would this be a good place to put a strap on the tank & use that to set up a GPS on? Then you could incorporate a cover pretty easy, wooden ya think?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #18 - 01/28/10 at 17:30:07

Well, this project is gonna have to wait for a while.  I found the piece of oak I want to use, but it is too big to mess with (I just had hernia surgery) and I'm having carpal Tunnel surgery next week (It's hell getting close to your "Sell BY:" date)  I'll update when I can use my hand again.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #19 - 01/29/10 at 19:11:00

serowbot has bike peddles, some have bicycle speedos, i don't have paint on my tank.....we all need either a little help, or more ridin  Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 01/29/10 at 20:23:29

Rocco wrote on 01/29/10 at 19:11:00:
serowbot has bike peddles, some have bicycle speedos, i don't have paint on my tank.....we all need either a little help, or more ridin  Wink

we all need either a little help, or more ridin  Wink [/quote]

Ill settle for a little less help & a bit more ridin'.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/01/10 at 17:24:44

OK, I'm trying to get some of this done before I go in for the Hand surgery.  I'm working on the electronic part.  I bought the 12v socket, and the unit has two wires coming out the back, one white & one gray.  I was hoping for Red and Black, but no such luck.  Any ideas on which I should connect to the POS side of the battery and which to the NEG?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 02/02/10 at 02:40:51

Look at the polarity requirements of what you will be powering & connect accordingly?

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/02/10 at 06:43:32

OK, found this on line:

For the 12-volt systems, the "contact point," which is the center part of the plug when viewed end-on, carries the positive voltage, whereas the "can" part, which is the outer part of the connector, carries the negative voltage (which is the "ground" connection for most automobiles, which have a negative ground electrical system).

So, I'll check the back of the socket and see which one is coming from the center, and connect to Positive.

Which connection would be appropriate for the negative end:  Connected to the negative side of the battery; or connected to a grounding point on the frame?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 02/02/10 at 06:57:53

Frame oughta be okay for that. Not such high current as to need to go straight to the battery. That would make installation cleaner & easier. Again, M/Cs run in the weather & vibrate, so, soldered connections are better than crimped. Liquid electrical tape doesnt come unwrapped or, even heat shrink tubing would do the job well. A really anal type might slip the heat shrink down, away from the connection,solder it up, put a thin dose of liquid tape on, let that cure, slide the heat shrink into position & hit it with a lighter or soldering iron. Soldering is easy, clean the wires, dont twist the ends together like on a twist tie on a loaf of bread, aim one wire at the other, end on, cross the bare ends about midway & twist them around each other, so its like grabbing someones wrist while they grab yours. Then the wires look nice & will accept heat shrink. Dont forget to get flux, a paste flux, no acid core solder for electrical work. Get a 60/40 solder, flux core & youll still need a flux to add to the wires, just a tiny dab. let the solder flow into the wire. You should be able to see the individual strands of the wires, just silver from the solder on them. Not a glob.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/02/10 at 18:07:02

I broke down and dug out the multimeter and checked to see which wire connected to the center pole.  I soldered the connections and covered them with two layers of heat shrink.  Then I have some fireproof conduit to run the wires through.   I plan to run it from the handle bars, back along the frame under the tank to the battery

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/04/10 at 16:42:09

OK, I got it done.  I took it for a couple block test and it does work, and I can see it pretty clearly.

Here is what I started with:

Here's the block before I finished it.  I took T Mack's suggestion and carved a Suzuki S into the front, then filled it in with red epoxy.  The base is slid off to the side to show how they fit

Here is how it looks on the bike.  And there is still more room on the block for stuff, like maybe my iPod.  Wood is Texas Mesquite.  Finish is a oak penetrating stain, covered with a spray clear enamal.

and here's how the Power socket is mounted

Finished mounting and hooked it up last night, then checked today, and the battery was not drained, so I guess it's not drawing any power when nothing is plugged in.

Now that this is done, I ordered a forward controls kit form Ed L.  It got here yesterday, and I have been looking at some wider seats ( a little more support and comfort for my ample A55.  This stuff could get expensive!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 02/04/10 at 17:30:15

No comment

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #28 - 02/04/10 at 17:53:44

You may want to look into the Diamond Jim seat mod.  It is cheap and easy.  I redid my seat with his spray foam method and then covered it with some nice closed cell foam.  My butt is very happy with the results.  The whole thing is about $20 and an evening of work.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #29 - 02/04/10 at 18:48:50

bill67 wrote on 02/04/10 at 17:30:15:
  No comment

Ditto

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged