Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
long term ir plug
01/20/10 at 12:43:20

Put a NGK Iridium dpr8eix-9 in the '95 a couple years ago and after 7 or 8k miles it's got to go. At this point the '95 Savage is an intermittent use bike as I no longer use it for a 50-100 mile daily commute. This intermittent use seems to have taken it’s toll on this hi-tech plug. You can see where a ring formed just below the electrode or that part of the insulator melted. This causes the plug to foul out very easily – the last standard NGK dpr8ea-9 went too many miles to count – from this one example I’d have to conclude they’re simply not worth the money – and given the nature of my use of this bike very likely not as good as the cheapest heavy electrode plugs.      

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: long term ir plug
Reply #1 - 01/20/10 at 13:01:44

I dont understand how a spark plug would be affected by only running the thing occasionally vs. regularly. I mean, how do it KNOW?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/20/10 at 14:11:16

Thanks for the review RT... good info...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/20/10 at 17:11:48

gonna have to look at mine soon.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/20/10 at 17:27:02

I understand  the   IR   plug needs less wattage from the system and so the bike's system should last longer and run cooler.   That's the reason to run the IR type.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/21/10 at 07:45:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/20/10 at 13:01:44:
I dont understand how a spark plug would be affected by only running the thing occasionally vs. regularly. I mean, how do it KNOW?

Of late I've only used the '95 for short runs to store say, couple miles at most so it really never gets a chance to fully warm up - many cold starts vs. the long daily runs. What i need to do is migrate it to the fishing shack - the tw200 lives in the new shed but it's easy to ride up the ramp not so sure about the savage it might be low enough to rub on the top of ramp - that could sure ruin your day if it hit bottom - a 4 foot fall off the ramp and out the door wouldn't be any fun.

back to the plug I just don't believe these hitech ir plugs function very well used like this - likely they're better suited to high rpms where their lower arc voltage could be helpful - wouldn't take the ing as long to recover and longer runs to keep the cold start soot burned off.

any way poped one of champions in it that I used for plug reading - man does it ever start and run better.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 01/21/10 at 08:13:00

the shop i bought mine from put in an ngk r, i think that's the same thing! well they didn't put the little cap at the end of the plug that goes into the wire, it was just threads!

i put in a champion as well, it was like 3 dollars for 2....the guy looked @ me funny when i said i only needed 1 half of one set  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/23/10 at 08:14:50

Reelthing wrote on 01/21/10 at 07:45:40:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/20/10 at 13:01:44:

Of late I've only used the '95 for short runs to store say, couple miles at most so it really never gets a chance to fully warm up - many cold starts vs. the long daily runs. What i need to do is migrate it to the fishing shack - the tw200 lives in the new shed but it's easy to ride up the ramp not so sure about the savage it might be low enough to rub on the top of ramp - that could sure ruin your day if it hit bottom - a 4 foot fall off the ramp and out the door wouldn't be any fun.

back to the plug I just don't believe these hitech ir plugs function very well used like this - likely they're better suited to high rpms where their lower arc voltage could be helpful - wouldn't take the ing as long to recover and longer runs to keep the cold start soot burned off.

any way poped one of champions in it that I used for plug reading - man does it ever start and run better.

Ahhh, length of run, not time between runs. I can see that a lot easier.

A 4' drop isnt much of a big deal, if a guy gets to walk to the edge & hop off, but getting "spit" off sideways with a motorsickel atween the legs? Ehhhh, thats a Long 4 feet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #8 - 01/23/10 at 09:08:42

do you need the hotter plug type?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:33:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › long term ir plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.