starting problems (Read 92 times)
s40newbie
YaBB Newbies

14000 miles on a
thumper

Staffordshire UK
starting problems
01/16/10 at 04:59:55

Its been a cold winter in the UK and i havent used my 2005 much cause the roads have been too dangerous.
Ive been having problems starting the bike up however which i originally thought was the battery so i pulled it off and charged it up. I put it back on the bike and it started up straight away problem solved or so i thought..
If i leave the bike standing for a while or even about 15 minutes when i try to start it up it doesnt seem to have enough juice to turn the engine over.
i checked and cleaned the plug and had a look at the fuses and fuel line and they seem ok.

Please help

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: starting problems
Reply #1 - 01/16/10 at 05:21:42

If the battery had water in it it sounds like the battery is shot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
s40newbie
YaBB Newbies

14000 miles on a
thumper

Staffordshire UK
Reply #2 - 01/16/10 at 05:31:46

Thinking the same thing to be honest. I forgot to mention i checked the circuit with a multi meter and it showed 14.8V with the engine running

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 01/16/10 at 05:46:55

s40newbie wrote on 01/16/10 at 05:31:46:
Thinking the same thing to be honest. I forgot to mention i checked the circuit with a multi meter and it showed 14.8V with the engine running

Electrical is not my strong area, but whowing 14.8v when running just indicates that the system is trying to charge the battery and does not necessarily mean it is accepting the charge.

I have had experience in the past where a battery was destroyed along with an alternator simply because the battery ground cable was corroded inside, but I did not realize it because the cable was covered with plastice/rubber stuff.  When I peeled the covering off the ground cable was totally messed up and corroded from end to end.
Since the cable was bad the battery was not able to accept a charge and died a terrible death, but the alternator also died because it continually worked itself to death trying to charge a battery that was not able to accept it.  All for the sake of a simpe ground cable.

That may not be your problem but be sure to check every connection for a clean contact surface, and each cable for corrosion, and battery fluid level and quality.  If after a recharge the battery will still not maintain its charge then get a new battery.

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #4 - 01/16/10 at 05:55:54

Afternoon to you S40newbie...

I'd make sure each cell of the battery was filled to correct levels. Use a bulb syringe and ONLY distilled water to fill them...

Charge it back up.

Reinstall it on the bike and see how it does. If that does the trick...great. If not, a new battery would be in order. Most here would suggest the "Big Crank".

Even if your present battery proves worthy...the next thing I'd invest in is a battery maintainer to keep the battery at it's correct voltage through the Winter.

HTH...Keep us posted on the results.
Cool

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
s40newbie
YaBB Newbies

14000 miles on a
thumper

Staffordshire UK
Reply #5 - 01/16/10 at 06:48:43

Thanks for the replies guys
Ive had a look at the battery and its topped up with enough fluid so ill give another recharge a go.
Not heard of the "big crank" battery before but it does sound nice for a savage Smiley

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #6 - 01/16/10 at 07:10:36

s40newbie wrote on 01/16/10 at 06:48:43:
Not heard of the "big crank" battery before but it does sound nice for a savage Smiley

Check out this thread. It has a link in a post by Babyhog with a link to the Big Crank...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259831632/4#4

Wink

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
s40newbie
YaBB Newbies

14000 miles on a
thumper

Staffordshire UK
Reply #7 - 01/17/10 at 04:00:24

Ive put the battery on again and done the same thing again. Ive double checked all the connectors and wiring and i cant see any breaks or anything loose.
I'll try a new battery and see if that solves it

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 01/17/10 at 21:03:34

You might want to run a load test on that battery.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starting problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.