Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best deal ever on an air compressor !!! (Read 321 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Best deal ever on an air compressor !!!
01/15/10 at 14:49:31

Please excuse me for being a bit enthusiastic -- I have found something that tickles my fancy and I wanted to share it with you guys ....

I have a lot of air driven tools and I own a 2 hp 20 gallon tank compressor that is 25 years old.  It is old style 1750 rpm electric motor, 2 belt sheave, dual stage (2 dissimilar cylinder sizes) that could chug out 4-5 cfm at 90-100 psi.   It had enough ass to run a paint gun on-going and it did everything else competently in its rattly noisy fashion.

My compressor was powerful, but it drank electricity and it was very slow to fill up the 20 gallon tank up to full 100 psi pressure.  It is also noisy as the dickens and it runs all the time, seems like.  

25 years ago it was a state of the art $300 compressor.  
It was a very expensive stationary shop tool, in other words.

=======================

Fast forward 25 years to the year 2010

=======================

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95498

This one hand carryable portable air compressor is on sale this week (coupon was in this past Sunday's paper) for jest $74.99 which is about half price to what it normally goes for.  Similar units American built cost over $250 and this Chinese built unit looks pretty much like a rip off of a commercial Devilbiss/Campell Hausfield design.

It has a 2 hp 3,400 rpm induction style ball bearing motor that has a built in direct drive to the single small cast iron cylinder.  Balance of the motor and compressor are impeccable, when actuated the motor/compressor hummms along at 3,400 rpm and the pressure needle shoots up VERY FAST, much faster than my old compressor.  Because it has double the motor speed the single small displacement cylinder cranks out 4.4 CFM (90 psi) at the same horsepower rating as my old compressor.   It gives VERY SIMILAR results out of much less pounds of machinery (100 or more fewer pounds of machinery).

It recovers normal pressure losses ongoing, going hummm ....  (pause) ....  hummm .... bouncing between 85 and 115 psi tank pressure for my very largest air consuming tools.   Using it to power an air blow off hasn't been an issue yet since I don't blow air for very long at a time and I never use compressed air to "sweep my shop" as I used to do with the old compressor back when electricity was cheap.

I do not think I would try to paint a car with it -- painting requires ongoing 40 psi air at a very even delivery rate.   I think I would uncork the big tanked old compressor for any major paint work.

============

This thing really shines for convenience, portability, low purchase price and its low noise/high performance levels.   It takes just a skinny minute to pump up the 4 gallon tank to the full run your impact wrench level -- and it takes just seconds to pull it out, plug it in and go to work.  And that means where ever I need to work, not just in the shop.

Note:  you need to buy a large capacity 12 gage extension cord if you use one.  Pulling 15-16 amps through a normal lawn & garden extension cord is a recipe for overheating and excessive voltage drop unless you have enough wire size in your extension cord.   This is true for most major electric hand tools, so I already have "big enough" extension cords that were built using exterior grade romex cable.

« Last Edit: 01/16/10 at 04:55:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Best deal ever on an air compressor !!!
Reply #1 - 01/15/10 at 15:05:52

4 gallons isn't much air,For about $20 more you can get a 6 gallon pancake one thats make for construction that holds up a lot better than that one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/15/10 at 15:46:55

Which one are you speaking about?  

Most of the six gallon pancake type tank units I see available are lower cfm units based on an oil-less diaphragm compressor.  Not bad units I guess, they get there a little bit slower than the direct displacement reciprocating piston machines which is why they needed the half again larger tank just to support an air nailer.  

They buzzz loudly instead of hummm gently.  I suspect they buzz a a good bit of the time, too.

They are lighter though
, about 15-20 pounds lighter.  If I was crawling up on to a roof every day that would make a big difference to be sure, but I'm not a roofer.

Plus, Bill, they lack a key VERY important feature that you can certainly appreciate once you think about it a bit.

« Last Edit: 01/15/10 at 18:48:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 01/15/10 at 17:25:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/15/10 at 15:46:55:
Plus, Bill, they lack a key VERY important feature that you can certainly appreciate once you think about it a bit.

What very important feature?  Uhh uh.. UUHHhh!! what IS it that my little porter-pancake lacks, and this Chinese thingy has?  I thought about it a bit, but I'm kinda slow.

Central Pneumatic is batting about 500 at the moment.. I have one roof nailer that's a total POS (misfires one out of 4 nails)  one good impact wrench, and one 0.5 assed impact wrench.  I did not quit buying CentralPneumatic/HarborFreight stuff altogether because the prices are too sweet to pass up and returns are friendly.  Please keep us posted on how this compressor does in the long term.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/15/10 at 18:48:19

Porter pancakes don't have it at all, although they buzzzzzzzzz over the topic endlessly amongst themselves.

My air tools all crave it, they need it as much as you need vitamins and suchlike stuff in your food and water.  

Your Porter pancake will need a special attachment added to provide it or your air tools will eventually all die.

Quietly humming high speed 3,400 rpm Chinese piston compressors provide it naturally, provided that you feed them correctly with the proper diet in the first place.

« Last Edit: 01/15/10 at 20:32:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 01/15/10 at 19:36:54

Heh heh. I got it, thanks for the clues.  Wink

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 01/15/10 at 19:58:47

In my life time I've probably had 20 different air compressors I was a home builder,All kinds of Nail guns and tools.And you don't take the air compressor up on the roof you have a hose. I had one like that small one when I retired it lasted 5 years,just airing up tires.Paid $130 from Sears for it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/15/10 at 20:19:26

It ain't a small one Bill, it weighs 50 pounds.  A third more than them stutterbugs with the six gallon tanks do.

============================================
============================================

Now, what is the correct critical vitamin to provide for the application?

(since you can provide vitamins along with the compressed air)

============

It has to be able to withstand the high heat of compressing air ....

It has to have anti-foaming properties ....

It has to be able to flow freely at 20 degrees or less ....

On the flip side, in continuous use it has to withstand 250+ degrees F for long periods of time ....

Must be able to withstand moisture vapor (water comes with the turf) and not make any sludge or gum because of it ....

Has to be compatible with air tool vanes and rotors and seals ....

Must be recommended by OEMs for "extreme continuous use" in severe 20:1 air compression applications ....

Must have a history of success when used by American industry for a number of decades ....

Has to be able to withstand air carried dust and such that makes it through a single pass inlet air filter into the air compression process ....

Have a very long service life (have history of preventing wear) ....

Be readily available where I can buy it ....

Not cost me an arm and a leg ....

.... and finally it has to be a hell'uv a lot better stuff than the crap Harbor Freight sells for the purpose.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/15/10 at 22:23:55

& all I could come up with was possibly CFM

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/16/10 at 01:37:55

Measured not in Cubic Feet per Minute, but instead in Ounces ....

"Must Be Purchased Separately", but must be used to remove the plastic warning tape from plug prong and start button ....

"Warranty is instantly voided if dropped" or if this is mystery vitamin is not promptly and properly applied ....

Air tools crave it and will eventually die if they don't get it ....

Boule's Porta pancake doesn't have it but buzzes instead of hums because of it ....

============

Justin's comes in white, mine comes in blue ....

Bill's is red & comes in the mail (but he doesn't need it) ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/16/10 at 01:49:06

oil

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 01/16/10 at 02:26:43

I have both of those air compressors.Pancake goes to 150 pounds.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 01/16/10 at 03:49:04

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ..... zzzzzz .... zzzzzzzz
(gasp! 150 psi in a six gallon tank)

Werp !! Buzzzzzzzzzzzz  Werp !!  Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz  
Werp !! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz  Werp !!  Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Werp !! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz  goes the impact wrench

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ..... zzzzzz .... zzzzzzzz
(gasp! back up to 150 psi)

Versus

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... (115 psi in a 4 gallon tank)

Werp !!  hmmmmmm  Werp !!  hmmmmmm  Werp !!  hmmmmmm  Werp !!  hmmmmmm  Werp !!  goes the impact wrench

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (back up to 115 psi)

Both get the job done, but mine gets to use Rotella Syn 5w40 in its little crankcase so it will last forever and work flawlessly (quick too).

Yours will keep wearing out every five years because you can't put any Klotz into it ....  then you get to pay out another $130 to Sears.

(P.S. that's an additional $55 over and above the $74.99 Harbor Freight sale price, not $20)

hmmm vs Buzzz ?     Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/16/10 at 04:34:54

By golly, I never tried to type the sound the impact makes, but Werp is a pretty good approach to it.
I have a 20 gallon (& IIRC) about $150 or $170.00 from H/ Freight.
It dont buzz OR Humm, it makes Racket! I can be in the house & hear it come on out in the shop, 60' from the back door. Even with the shop closed up. I know, because its kicked in in the middle of the night & woke me up,,, I finally stopped forgetting to push that red button down.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 01/16/10 at 04:51:12

That's why I jest love that fast acting hmmmm sound.  I have a Black & Decker AirStation (120 volt inflator) and the Harbor Freight unit shown isn't any noiser than that little thing.

Old style compressors are noisy as hell, the bigger they are the louder they are.   In industry you have to put them in soundproofing enclosures now-a-days as they all easily exceeded 85 db.

This $74.99 unit isn't as noisy as a vacuum cleaner.  And it vibrates on its little rubber feet not even a tiny bit either.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:31:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best deal ever on an air compressor !!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.