Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2003 Savage in my garage (Read 230 times)
Airizzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2003 Savage in my garage
01/12/10 at 20:46:50

I have been wanting a motorcycle for some time.  I have been pouring over forums and reviews and the Suzuki Savage was on my short list.  So  when a 2003 Savage with 6600 miles popped up on Craigslist I picked it up.  

I just finished changing the oil, the spark plug, and checking the valves.  All in all she is in pretty good shape.  I was going to do the white washer mod on the carb but when I removed the plug it looked a little black.  It looks like it's running a little rich.  I live at almost 5000 feet so maybe I don't need to mod the spacer.

Is there anybody else running the Savage at a high altitude with the white spacer mod?

I'm pretty excited about the bike.  We have had a few days with clear roads and I have had it out a couple times.  Even with a big Plexifairing  windshield it went right up to 75MPH with only a slight buffet from the windshield.  It didn't have too much more than that but it did have a little more, I didn't push it any further.  As soon as it warms up I'll be pulling off the windshield.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2003 Savage in my garage
Reply #1 - 01/12/10 at 20:56:29

White spacer mod might be unnecessary at your altitude but Id still mess with the mix screw a bit.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/12/10 at 20:59:07

Welcome Airizzy... congrats on your new bike...
I'm at 2500 ft and although I have done the spacer mod, I also have a k/n air filter and Sportster muffler.... the extra elevation makes a big difference..
I think you may be right,.. at 5000ft, with stock motor, you probably don't need it.  The plug evidences that, too...
Ride safe, Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/14/10 at 20:39:55

Airizzy wrote on 01/12/10 at 20:46:50:
.....Is there anybody else running the Savage at a high altitude with the white spacer mod?.....

Don't know, but I live at 6500' and my bike (see signature) runs great here.  I've got stock jetting and have diddled with the pilot screw a bit is all.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 01/20/10 at 10:48:11

Hi Airizzy, I have an '06 and I'm at 5280ft.
So far, the only mods I've done are to put a new pipe on which has some kind of resonator built into it but nothing I would call a baffle and then I took the stock spacer out and replaced it with a #4 nylon spacer from ACE.
After I did that I turned my air mix screw out to 2 1/2 turns. Pops between shifts unless I feather the throttle. It may be my imagination but it sure feels like it runs stronger in the mid range.

I'm thinking of installing a K&N then maybe going up to a 52.5 pilot with bleed holes and possibly a 150 main.
It all depends...I plan to occassionally ride up to 9-10,000 ft when summer comes and that may make me too rich....most of my riding will be down here at a mile high tho'
I just can't seem to leave it be... Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/20/10 at 12:17:48

Note that the plug sits down in a hole. Dirt/sand etc fall in that recess. Pulling the plug w/o blowing that crud out allows it the opportunity to fall in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #6 - 01/20/10 at 17:37:24

Can I ask how much you got it for?

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Airizzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/20/10 at 20:58:08

I picked it up for $2200.  It came with saddle bags and a very large wind shield(American Cycle Plexifairing).  It will need a new rear tire before I put on  too many miles this year.  I did increase the idle mixture and it smoothed the idle out quite a bit, so the white washer mod may be something to try.  I also know the sales manager at the local Harley shop and he said he could hook me up with a muffler later this year when they start doing a lot of upgrades.  He told me that they usually throw out the the old ones so I could have my pick. I do like the looks of the Sportster muffler on the savage.  Any other suggestions?  I will post a few pictures after I get a couple projects finished up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:33:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2003 Savage in my garage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.