Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixture screw (Read 143 times)
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Mixture screw
01/12/10 at 03:56:23

I have a 2003 savage..
the mixture screw flat head part is worn and torn away,.. i cannot get a flat head screw driver to turn it out so i can replace it with another idle/mixture screw...

any ideas?
i dont know if they make a easy out that small?

thanks

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Mixture screw
Reply #1 - 01/12/10 at 04:42:18

How worn and torn is it?

I have a hand inpact driver that I used on the top carb screws, but they were not messed up. But I was well on my way to messing them.

I also read on here somewhere that someone used a "redneck impact" on something.  It was a regular cordless drill with the clutch set low so that it clicked when you tried to turn the screw.  I had a corroded screw in the light fixture in the shower, the head was beginning to booger up, the hand impact did not help.  Bad angle, into a fixture, into tile etc, I was afraid to really smack the thing.  I used the cordless drill on the lowest setting and really pushed hard.  I had to up the setting a couple of times, but eventually the screw broke loose.

Just a couple of ideas.  Of course if it is beyond that, an easy out or making another slot, but I think that screw is recessed, so that might be tough.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #2 - 01/12/10 at 05:28:55

ok hmmm i will see what i can do with the battery drill on low setting .. thanks... yeah the head of it is really bad boogered up...  i will never take it back to the motorcycle shop that did it that says they didnt, LOL

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/12/10 at 05:30:32

Maybe you could etch a notch for a blade again with a dremel.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 01/12/10 at 06:02:05

If you plan to replace the screw anyway, acquire a suitably-sized LEFT-HAND drill bit, reverse your drill, and drill it out. Use a slow speed, and as soon as the drill bit "bites" the screw will probably come out.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #5 - 01/12/10 at 07:04:41

I did try the dremel but the screw is to far gone...
I almost got a slot for the flat head but didnt...
I have called the local tool maker here and he says he has something for it..
Says if i bring him replacement screw he will match me up with the right drill bit and easy out... i feel sure if i can get it to turn once left that it will ease out.. it would move but very little before the rest of the head broke into little shavings...

GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #6 - 01/13/10 at 07:03:02

Thank you everyone... I called FullBright tools and they had the right tools for the job... I will load pics later of the removal...

They gave me a very small drill bit and a very small easy out.. smallest i have ever used..

Last night i soaked it down with PB Blaster....

This morning before taking my little girl to school i soaked it down again with PB Blaster...
Then again before i started i soaked it with PB Blaster...
blew it out and started..

I put the drill bit up against the new replacement mixture screw and then put a small amount (dot) of type writer fluid on the drill bit where i wanted to stop drilling at...

I then did the same thing to the easy out...

Very very slowly and straight i drilled dead center of mixture screw in carb that is still on bike...

once to white dot i stopped slowly and straight backed out...

then i tapped lightly and straight the easy out...
stopped right at white dot..

then with a 2.5 mm wrench i turned slowly the end of it to left...

and wallahhhhhh slowly the screw turned... i was really nervous with this small of a easy out that it was going to break off...

I will post pics of it later on... pretty cool to see IMO...

Peace and thanks everyone..
now to dig everything else out of there and replace it all and try to set the idle mixture......

Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #7 - 01/13/10 at 11:44:40

My CV carb is in the same situation.  It slowly kept getting tougher to turn until the brass deformed and it went quickly downhill from there.  I've got a new idle screw to put in, but I've probably chewed through half of the top portion trying to get a decent bite on the old one.

I figured this was a good excuse to upgrade to a VM, so that's going on as soon as the weather warms up.  Perhaps then I'll follow your steps and then sell the CV here.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/13/10 at 21:42:45

once I had to pull out a botched plug for the mixture screw.
used the dremel to open the hole up.  ended  up just about hollowing out the plug.  I had some 4 flute end mills, so I chucked in a drill and pushed it in there.  It grabbed the plug and pulled it out toot sweet.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:23:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mixture screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.