Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harley Slip On mufflers (Read 243 times)
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Harley Slip On mufflers
01/10/10 at 16:01:47

I have a 2003 savage and yes i want to put a Harley Muffler on it.  Wink
Can someone tell me what slip ons would go on there?

I have ran across a few good deals on them but did not get them due to them being touring pipes or such and was told that a sportster 2003 or later would work...

Thanks

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Harley Slip On mufflers
Reply #1 - 01/10/10 at 17:26:03

You will find a lot of confusion on this issue.  Some members bought HD mufflers that had openings that had to be welded shut.  Some bought  them with brackets that did not line up with their Savage brackets. Some had to weld adapters to get the muffler to fit onto their header pipe.  Others didn't have to make any alterations.  I was one of the lucky ones, but I cannot tell you what model HD muffler I bought....(Ebay)  The only numbers on the side of the muffler are:

64941-01

It slips onto the header pipe, with 5/16" of header pipe showing between the mouth of the muffler and the shoulder on the header pipe.  It won't go on any further than that, however using a H.D. muffler clamp, and some aluminum sheeting around the Header pipe where it fits into the muffler, it is tight and does not leak.  The bracket on the muffler aligned with the Savage bracket. The Savage heat shield fit over everything. It was a relatively easy install requiring no drilling, cutting or welding, and has worked well for me.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/10/10 at 17:47:36

this topic is covered in the tech section you may have to search back

dont buy anything with the cross over..youll want a adaptor piece with a kick to keep gasses off your rear brake..as covered in the tech section..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 01/10/10 at 18:14:59

I am certainly not an expert on this, but I did put a HD muffler on my bike.  I posted a thread about my experience, maybe it will help you.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244666206/15

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/10/10 at 19:02:57

For easiest install....look for rail mount, not tab mount,... no crossover tubes,... and no cat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 01/10/10 at 20:37:00

My hubby did the majority of my install, I just watched and lended a hand here and there, but this reminded me that I never got my second muffler.  See, I bought a pair off Ebay and one busted out of the box during shipping through our wonderful Postal Service.  I filed a lost item claim and they told me it may eventually make its way to me, but I have yet to see it.  Was planning to offer it here....  oh well.... at least I got one, which was all I really needed.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/10/10 at 20:54:14

They're good for 15 - 20k miles...  Then you'll blow the baffle out...

I'm on my second... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 01/11/10 at 00:18:06

the dyna muffler is very good rail mount is best    get some exhaust paste  to seal the joint   and a new slim heat guard

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
tyromark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/11/10 at 07:25:25

Where do you come by those slimmer heat shields? Are they HD parts?

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 01/11/10 at 07:58:53

i had to make my own bracket, drill holes in the bike, stick a mountain dew can between it and the header for tightness and about the baffle....I DON'T HAVE ONE!! lol

it's loud, but not too loud. although all the traffic here may cover some of it up lol

i believe it was serowbot who said "just make it fit". not with zip ties of course, i already tried that  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #10 - 01/11/10 at 09:14:35

i used a universal shield   it said it suites a pipe with a diameter which is the same the header so it fitted ok

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #11 - 01/15/10 at 08:14:57

thanks everyone i am trying to place a order for two now... i will put one back up for sale once i get them  Thanks alot.. Peace

EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 01/15/10 at 08:39:16

I'm in the process of doing mine now, and the only obstacle that I ran across is that I needed a short adapter piece so that the muff doesn't rub on the rear brake cable. According to old posts a short adapter with a 10o bend should suffice. I will post more pics when I get around to finishing mine.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #13 - 01/16/10 at 04:26:36

thanks gort i was able to find a set 64941-01 and now have them ordered if anyone is interested in the other one please let me know,..

30 bucks plus shipping.. I should have them here in next 10 - 14 days is what i am told...

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:34:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Slip On mufflers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.