Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another petcock? thread (Read 113 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Another petcock? thread
01/10/10 at 14:28:31

So I'm having a problem similar to what Rocco described.  Here's the background:

Just moved from Indianapolis to North Carolina.  In Indy, the weather didn't get above freezing for a few weeks.  Prior to the cold snap, I rode for a good hour to make sure the battery was well charged, then topped off the tank and added some seafoam.  The bike spent a few weeks outside under a cover.  On moving day, I tried to start her up in single-digit temps in order to ride her up onto the moving truck - cranked but would not start.  She survived the move just fine - no damage, no leaks, nothing.  I took her out for the first time today.  Started up easily, let her warm up for several minutes then eased her around the apartment lot for a few minutes before hitting the streets.  Died on the way out of the apartment.  Died again at the stop sign down the street.  Died when coming to a stop multiple times after that.  She struggled to start up again several times, taking multiple cranks and didn't really want to stay running without tapping the throttle.  I adjusted the thumb screw to up the idle but this did not help.  I turned the petcock to prime and res on start ups - no change.  When I got home, I noticed some drops of fluid under the bike and a strong smell of gas.  The 2 rubber tubes coming off the carb were definitely wet with gas, as was the area immediately below them.  She ran great at speed with good power.  I just adjusted the carb a couple of months ago.  

Teach me, o wise ones, and help me to rescue my dear Savage.   :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Another petcock? thread
Reply #1 - 01/10/10 at 14:40:21

Try this...

How to check your petcock....  Wink
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/10/10 at 14:57:52

In extreme cold, even rubber gets rigid. I would use Prime to bypass the diaphragm & not stress it w/ vacuum flexing it & to make sure I get gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/10/10 at 19:05:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/10 at 14:57:52:
In extreme cold, even rubber gets rigid. I would use Prime to bypass the diaphragm & not stress it w/ vacuum flexing it & to make sure I get gas.

never thought about that,... I'm in Arizona...
but, that might be a good idea... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/10/10 at 22:01:05

I turned the petcock to prime and res on start ups - no change.

Hmmmm, I missed that earlier. Res still uses the vacuum diaphragm, so, Id stay in prime. If your carb is barfing gas, sounds like the float may be stuck or the valve not closing off right. Give the carb a smack, make sure the idle is high enough to keep it oiling right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/11/10 at 03:54:23

This is my kind of bike - whack the bowl with the butt end of a screwdriver and she'll heal herself.

S'a truth, she will fix herself -- I've done it several times.  When the float sticks it does not meter the gas level as it should and nothing works well until the float is freed back up.

Try that with your fuel injected wonder bike !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 01/11/10 at 08:04:38

lol i'm am all about "kicking it to fix it" lol!

exactly what he said, is exactly what happens to me, except i don't have fuel anywhere. AND it only happens sometimes, i could go for an hour ride and she's wonderful, on the way back i'm cursing @ her lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/12/10 at 09:37:52

So I gave the carb a few good whacks and it still ended up dying.  I switched to RES (forgot what was said about prime) and she ran great.  Tried her on FUEL for a few minutes afterwards and there was no problem.  Went out this morning and she died on FUEL but ran fine again on RES.  Got me into school just fine.

So what's the verdict?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/12/10 at 11:40:36

littlefights wrote on 01/12/10 at 09:37:52:
So I gave the carb a few good whacks and it still ended up dying.  I switched to RES (forgot what was said about prime) and she ran great.  Tried her on FUEL for a few minutes afterwards and there was no problem.  Went out this morning and she died on FUEL but ran fine again on RES.  Got me into school just fine.

So what's the verdict?

I've had this problem for a couple of years till the diaphram starting leaking then I replaced it.  Think it's the diaphram hardening.  You can run on res. just need to keep in mind when it runs out either coast into a station or start walking.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:17:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another petcock? thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.