Send Topic Print
Fix your gas cap leak (Read 3030 times)
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fix your gas cap leak
Reply #45 - 05/21/12 at 09:20:40

Just noticed a little leakage from mine after last fill up.  Honda part on order.  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #46 - 05/21/12 at 09:27:23

I fixed mine by flipping the original gasket over. No leaks. I do not push it up into the gas cap. I just flipped it and put the cover back on. Now I have to press harder on the gas cap to get it to latch in.

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #47 - 05/21/12 at 11:36:11

So.. to recap (huh huh)  Cheesy

The Honda and Suzuki gaskets are about the same thickness.  Replacing with the Honda gasket can fix it temporarily, just by virtue of being a fresh gasket, but probably not much better than a new stock gasket.  

Rotating or flipping the stock gasket fixes the leak on some caps, but again, probably not for good.  I imagine it will eventually pack down and get loose again.

The spud washer is thicker than stock, but not always made of a gas-resistant rubber, so you have to treat it with gasket dressing to be sure it won't swell or dissolve on you.

The best options seem to do that (use a spud washer and treat it) or shim up the Honda or Suzuki gasket somehow.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #48 - 05/21/12 at 17:33:11

And don't forget to smooth the seat (remove the rust) that the gasket contacts, if needed.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
NegroniMoto
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 10/24/14 at 20:23:27

I tried to use the Honda gasket fix, but the gasket deformed two days after. I order an OEM gas cap and now is fixed.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #50 - 05/15/16 at 18:04:01

I just joined the club about2 weeks ago but have been riding my 95 since new ,I had the cap leak about 3 years back and found that the side of a gallon milk jug to be a perfect shim. I cut a piece just slighty smaller than the gasket and turned the gasket over placing the shim behind it .You'll notice when the gas cap goes on/off that it tight again and there is no leaks, the only cost being your time .(I took out the two screws to place my shim under the edge of the locks plastic cover)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
lhaas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 08/28/17 at 15:26:46

Just wanted to add in case it could help someone.  I was having the leaking gas cap problem and added a shim as suggested but the leak continued.  Since the plastic cap that houses the catches sits on top of the rubber ring I am not sure how a shim behind it makes it seal tighter other than just adding bulk.  
I sanded the bottom of the cap where it contacts the gasket with sandpaper on a flat surface which makes  the catch closer to the gasket for a tighter seal.  It worked well and did not interfere with the operation of the catches.  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #52 - 08/30/17 at 09:42:46

I recently solved my problem by a similar approach to the OP, but not one I have seen noted before.  I added a strip of medium density closed cell foam behind the rubber gasket between the gasket and the cap. It made the pressure of the gasket against the top of the tank a bit tight, but I just push down on the cap when installing it so it goes down far enough to let the two catches engage, then release.  Haven't had a leak since (knock on wood).

Here is an image where you can see the foam strip under the gasket.
« Last Edit: 08/30/17 at 14:22:05 by stewmills »  

IMG_20170830_124419.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:57:57

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Fix your gas cap leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.