cam chain (Read 133 times)
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
cam chain
01/07/10 at 14:54:42

I have an 05 S40 with 12,000 miles. When should I change out the cam chain and related parts? Undecided

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: cam chain
Reply #1 - 01/07/10 at 15:54:16

If you keep a good synthetic motorcycle oil,A long time there are some people that have went 50,000 miles without doing it,The s40 isn't a bike that should be revved high rpms.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/07/10 at 17:46:25

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/07/10 at 18:57:27

My cam chain tensioner was pretty far out when I got my bike with 9k mi. I got the verslavy modded tensioner from verslagen and didnt have to change out the cam chain and guides until 20k mi and I couldve gone longer. Check how far your tensioner is out then go ahead and get the verslavy either way. You'll use it eventually.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/07/10 at 19:58:39

Quite a bit has changed in the component construction of the bike since they lasted 50,000 miles.  I have one of the 50,000 mile engines on my desk and it has cast steel gear blanks that were hobbed to put the teeth on it.  Today's Savage has sintered iron (pressed powdered metal) gears, a substantially different manufacturing technology.

We have verbal information from the original supplier of the Savage cam chain concerning "other vendors chain" and we also know about the changes in oil composition, etc etc etc

Listen to Verslagen and check your stuff by popping off the side cover periodically.   We have seen too many lunched up motors from those who didn't check the cam chain frequently enough.

I check every 8,000 to 10,000 miles, verslavy as needed.

Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 01/09/10 at 15:58:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 01/08/10 at 01:36:20

Wow! Been along time since I posted in here! Im one of the lucky ones I guess. I have 42,000 miles on my 02 and have ridden thru 17 states and most of my riding is at speeds of 60 mph and above. Lots of interstate riding at 70 and above. Gregg D changed my original cam chain at 33,000 miles and had me store it away cause he said it was still fine and could use again it if the new one went out on me. I like high speeds but I never wind up the motor in any gear. In fact, Ive never used first gear ever for that reason. I always start out in second. Maybe its not how many miles on the bike but how you treat your motor. By the way, Greg D is fine, but very busy with his motorcycle repair business. In the first year he had so much business he had to take down all of his advertising. Never even had the time to ride his bike once this summer

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.